rain

Record Breaker
In no particular order:

1. Hawayek/Baker FD
2. Lauriault/Le Gac FD
3. Stellato-Dudeck/Deschamps FP
4. Amber Glenn FS
5. Stellato-Dudeck/Deschamps SP

Honourable mentions to the young Canadian team for winning bronze, and to Levito for a beautiful SP.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
With the caveat that I still haven't watched every program (missed all of pairs free, most of men's free and some of women's free)

1. Junhwan Cha FS
2. Kana Muramoto/Daisuke Takahashi RD
3. Marie-Jade Lauriault/Romain Le Gac FD
4. Deanna Stellato-Dudek/Maxime Deschamps SP
5. Kaori Sakamoto SP

honorable mentions: Gracie Gold SP (for sentimental reasons, I almost put her over Kaori!), Valentina Plazas/Maximilliano Fernandez (new favorites, beautiful SP that I hope to see clean in the future), Yeonjeong Park SP (beautiful program, attentive to the music, hope to see clean as well), Hawayek/Baker RD (this would've been higher if I hadn't already seen it and liked it at Finlandia, so I did like it but it wasn't that extra special level of surprise and I think it'll be better still next time), Haein Lee SP, and Daniel Grassl both programs.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Here’s some perspective from someone who was there live!

First—the event was spectacularly well run (except for the consistent hassles with electronic tickets and wi-if) so I have only the highest praise for USFS, SCOB, and the many awesome volunteers. The woman who managed the line for the ladies’ bathroom on Saturday, in particular, is a treasure who deserves to be paid double!

Pairs—Stellato/Deschamps rule, the others drool. Two absolutely fabulous programs, wonderful execution, they had the entire audience in the palm of their hand. i hope Skate Canada knows just what a gift they have been given in these two and gives them their full support!

Men—Junhwan Cha might be the most charismatic skater I’ve ever seen in my life. If you love skating and have never seen Junhwan live, you MUST. You can thank me later!

Dance—Of course the highlight for me was Muramoto/Takahashi. Though their technical dance skills are not of the very highest level, they have two spectacularly well choreographed/constructed programs, and they certainly have improved. I loathe POTO programs but theirs—if they are ever able to overcome their technical challenges—is awesome. It makes full use of Daisuke’s gifts for drama and performance, which is really saying something. The POTO costumes are also gorgeous and perfect, both of them.

Ladies—Kaori is the best woman jumper I have ever seen live—and this includes Russian ladies like Valieva, Tuktamysheva, etc. I would say that watching her is like watching Nathan Chen. Powerful and completely effortless-looking at the same time, fast and high, soft beautiful landings, complete consistency.

And a special shout-out to Amber Glenn, I’ve seen her live many, many times, but I’ve never seen her skate as well as she did here. As her free continued you could see her gaining strength and confidence, something I never thought I would say. i think even she never knew she had it in her. Well done Amber!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Deanna and Maxime FS. ❤️

2. JunHwan SP 🕺

3. Marie-Jade and Romain FD 🕵️‍♂️

4. Donovan SP: yes, with all the cuts. :)

5. Kaori SP: yes, I watched a ladies' skate. It was Rohene choreo. When she gets this perfect, which she will, it will be <chef's kiss>

honorable mention: Daniel G. with one week's prep of a new SP. Kudos!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ilia Malinin 4A. Spectacular and history-making.
H/B Free Dance. Breathtaking.
The German Free Dance. Something I hadn't seen before.
Sakamoto Free Skate. Beautiful.
The Canadian Free Dance. What? I liked a Pink Panther program??? Yes.

Ziotic

Medalist
Top five but I can’t decide the order

Deanna and Max SP

Kaori FP

Jun SP

Marie-Jade and Romain FD

Harris and Chan SP

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Top five but I can’t decide the order

Deanna and Nate SP

Kaori FP

Jun SP

Marie-Jade and Romain FD

Harris and Chan SP

I know what you mean, and I started watching Queen Deanna when she resumed skating with Nate. Alas, no more. :)

Not really alas, I think she is in a better partnership now.

slider11

Medalist
1. Hawayek and Baker FD 2. Ilia Malinin 3. Kaori FP 4. Deanna and Maxime Pairs short and long 5. Amber Glenn FS

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here’s some perspective from someone who was there live!

First—the event was spectacularly well run (except for the consistent hassles with electronic tickets and wi-if) so I have only the highest praise for USFS, SCOB, and the many awesome volunteers. The woman who managed the line for the ladies’ bathroom on Saturday, in particular, is a treasure who deserves to be paid double!

Pairs—Stellato/Deschamps rule, the others drool. Two absolutely fabulous programs, wonderful execution, they had the entire audience in the palm of their hand. i hope Skate Canada knows just what a gift they have been given in these two and gives them their full support!

Men—Junhwan Cha might be the most charismatic skater I’ve ever seen in my life. If you love skating and have never seen Junhwan live, you MUST. You can thank me later!

Dance—Of course the highlight for me was Muramoto/Takahashi. Though their technical dance skills are not of the very highest level, they have two spectacularly well choreographed/constructed programs, and they certainly have improved. I loathe POTO programs but theirs—if they are ever able to overcome their technical challenges—is awesome. It makes full use of Daisuke’s gifts for drama and performance, which is really saying something. The POTO costumes are also gorgeous and perfect, both of them.

Ladies—Kaori is the best woman jumper I have ever seen live—and this includes Russian ladies like Valieva, Tuktamysheva, etc. I would say that watching her is like watching Nathan Chen. Powerful and completely effortless-looking at the same time, fast and high, soft beautiful landings, complete consistency.

And a special shout-out to Amber Glenn, I’ve seen her live many, many times, but I’ve never seen her skate as well as she did here. As her free continued you could see her gaining strength and confidence, something I never thought I would say. i think even she never knew she had it in her. Well done Amber!
My thoughts on Skate America

As my first live GP in four years (I last attended SCI in Laval in 2018), I am so happy I went. The event almost felt like it did in the before times, except many spectators (and some skaters/coaches) were masked. Like @Seven Sisters (sorry we never met up), I felt that the organizers did an excellent job – it didn't feel amateurish.

I especially loved the shuttles since I didn’t have a car (I never had to wait more than a minute or two). I thought the fanfest and the food trucks were a great idea, even if they weren’t entirely successful with the offerings. I also reconnected with a few GSers, including @charmblade, @Mrs. P, and the always entertaining @lyverbird1 who kept me company during the gala.

My only complaints were the spotty wi-fi and I think they should have set aside some single session tickets. There were quite a few empty seats due to all session holders not able to attend all events.

Since I was seated in the top row near the corner (by the hospitality suite), many volunteers, skaters, coaches and USFS officials were standing around above me chatting during the competition. During Gracie’s SP, Ashley Wagner was right behind me chatting with someone from USFS, which I felt was a bit rude. I am an Ashley fan so was disappointed that she wasn’t giving Gracie the respect she deserved making it back to Skate America after all she has been through. Ashley did redeem herself though when she did a self-deprecating walk-thru of her Boston Worlds performance in 2016. She also joked she would be at 2025 Worlds doing her 8th rendition of MR.

I spotted many skaters and coaches in the stands – Aljona Savchenko, Mick Brezina, Mirai Nagasu and her bf, the SCOB cheering section (including Jimmy Ma, Spencer & Emily, Gabby Izzo, Misha Mitrofanov). I also saw Polina Edmunds walking in very high heels. I also got to say hello to Jordan Cowan from OIP at one of the food trucks. He told me he was going to be filming Donovan Carillo at Chelsea Piers this week (I will be missing that event). Sadly, I did not see Jason walking around until his brief Q&A with Rusty and Mirai prior to the Gala.

As for the skating itself – many highlights (more than just 5):
  • Kaori – I saw her last in 2017 at her first Skate America in Lake Placid with her Amelie program. How far she has come. I could watch her skate around the rink all day.
  • Queen Deanna and Maxime - I felt they could have taken the gold medal away from Alexa and Brandon. The crowd loved them and gave a standing O. How is she going to be 40 next year?
  • That kid with the quad axel – what a moment – the building nearly shook from the reaction. I’m not a huge fan of Ilia’s programs yet but he has confidence and moxie to spare. Glad I was there to see it.
  • Kana/ Daisuke – Despite the low marks, I just enjoyed their presence on the ice – their star quality cannot be missed. And I always enjoy watching Marina.
  • Amber – she looks like a new skater. I think moving to Colorado Springs and working with Damon and his team was a long overdue move. I hope to see her build on this and start living up to her potential. (I’m now the owner of an autographed USFS Amber t-shirt that is too small for me, I think Jimmy Ma also signed the shirt, but can’t say for sure. I got the shirt when Amber was tossing them during the gala finale)
  • Gracie – although she didn’t skate lights out in her free, she landed two lutz toe combos, which was a huge accomplishment. She also seemed to be enjoying herself which is a step forward.
  • Roman – I’m glad he dumped Chasing Cars finally but for Robbie Williams? I want so badly for him to pull it together because he’s another one I could watch skate around all day.
  • Hawayek/Baker – loved their programs and thought they could have taken the gold from Chock and Bates. I did like the RD of C/B but the FD didn’t grab me. Loved their Exhibition though.
  • Jun – although he fell during his James Bond FS, he’s got charisma to spare. And his MJ moves in the SP are spot on.
  • Donovan – always entertaining to watch, especially doing the worm during his exhibition dressed as a Mexican wrestler.
I have mixed feelings on Isabeau – she is a gorgeous skater but her jump technique is not the best. She only did double jumps during her Swan EX, so I hope she’s not injured. Perhaps just tired as she had competed earlier in the day.

Worst music choices go to Nicole Schott – her Bohemian Rhapsody and Careless Whisper (EX) covers were gawd awful. I give her credit for competing at 26 and she’s a pleasant skater but I can’t with the music. Same with the Titanic program of Sena Miyake.

Last edited: