Top Senior Ladies jumps traits (Height, Speed, Prer, Delay) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Top Senior Ladies jumps traits (Height, Speed, Prer, Delay)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
For me it is another big analysis with very questionable scientific value.

The smaller issue is the definition of the jump's height. The correct one would be the raise of the skater's center of gravity. But to measure it would be very difficult without special equipment. If we name as the jump height the maximum distance between the lowest part of a skate and the ice we immediately penalize for no reason skaters with straight legs and skates pointed down vs. skaters with bent legs and skates parallel to the ice. Russian split jump will be the highest by the way.

But even then there is a bigger issue of how exactly one measures the jump height under any assumption. With frame by frame pictures it is impossible to get the exact highest point of the jump. Even if it were possible there would be an impossible task to point a strictly perpendicular line to white ice and to measure it. And they measure the distance in 0.1 cm? Just laughable.

Same as with another analysis on judges' bias the biggest issue, though, is conclusions made out of such analysis. Alina's 2A is smaller than Satoko's? Give me a break. But some people are very happy to immediately jump on this wagon.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Surprises:

- Mako has so little prerotation! Why don’t people acknowledge her more for that?

Her jump have excellent technique and people do credit her for being a great jumper! Other aspects of her skating are really not my cup of tea.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Carolina does have nice jumps the ones that she does and when she lands them. She seems a bit more volatile in respect to landings.

There are some skaters who prerotate and also underrotate their toe jumps, doing just a little bit more than 2 rotations in the air. If the UR is uncalled, they can get full BV and then some. It's harder to land a jump when 3 rotations are done in the air. And even when Caro did land a beautiful 3Lz for example, she sometimes somehow got awarded less points versus 3Lz with uncalled e :shrug:. Hopefully when she comes back, the judges will properly award her jumps and things have been looking more fair on the GP with the stricter tech calls.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I suspect Kaori's jumps produce a better impression than they really are because of her great knee bend and deep edge upon landing. Look at this triple loop, for example. Shoma's jumps can often create a similar deceptive impression when he doesn't have to save them an inch off the ice. I would describe it as the jump looking very "solid", despite objectively average height and distance.

Ziotic

Medalist
I suspect Kaori's jumps produce a better impression than they really are because of her great knee bend and deep edge upon landing. Look at this triple loop, for example. Shoma's jumps can often create a similar deceptive impression when he doesn't have to save them an inch off the ice. I would describe it as the jump looking very "solid", despite objectively average height and distance.

There is also great speed and flow and it looks effortless! It even has transitions in and out.

Boats

Spectator
It would be interesting to measure how far the skaters jump as well. I think the distance a jump covers is equally as important for keeping flow and effortlessness on the landing (and to save the poor knees). It would be neat to see which skaters have the height and distance for an optimal jump parabola.