Transitioning from axel to doubles | Golden Skate

Transitioning from axel to doubles

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Hi all!

I recently got my axel reasonably consistent (maybe about a 70% land rate, and the ones I don't land are fully rotated but two-footed). My coach has now started me on double sal, which I'm having a lot of difficulties with.

I have landed some 2s, but they are few and far between and most the time I fall badly and hit my knee (a bad habit my coach drilled out of me during axel which is unfortunately coming back in 2s!). Most of my 2s attempts are abysmal - poor air position, no weight transfer, crash landing - apart from the rare one I do perhaps once a week which is fully rotated and landed on one foot.

However, most of the kids at my rink seem to pick up early doubles within weeks of landing their axels. Is this normal? Is it maybe taking longer for me because I'm an adult skater?

Essentially, my question is how easy is the transition from axel to doubles for the average skater?

P.S. any double sal tips would be appreciated!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It really depends on the skater. But if you get an axel, your double toe and double salchow will come. I actually got my double salchow before I got my axel! I find the best method to progress to doubles is to get high, big, controlled single jumps with good speed going into them, and practice backspins with a strong check-out.

Some things to practice:
- single jump into loop jump
- single jump into back spin and exit the back spin with a "snap" as in your non-spinning leg kicks back quickly and you have a secure knee bend on your exit leg
- focus on big single jumps - with your arms not pulled in as tightly but very controlled body axis and strong check on the landing
- off-ice doubles
- when you do a single salchow or toe, really focus on driving the free leg (right leg if a CCW jumper) up (like you're kneeing someone behind you in the chest)... a lot of times skaters when they start doing doubles try to "spin" the jump, but you'll be a lot more consistent (and it'll feel less cheated) if you focus on jumping the jump.
- try to go into your singles with as much speed as possible, I know it's scary to go into doubles with a lot of speed, but the reality is, it will make the jump way easier if you have speed... so better to go 90% speed into a single and dropping it down to 50% for a double, than doing your singles at 50% top speed and only 10% speed going into double... it will also really help when you progress to -2T and -Eu-2S combinations.