TT choreographed both MK's LP and a new SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

TT choreographed both MK's LP and a new SP

nymkfan51

Medalist
Great post Rgirl!!! From your lips to God's ears! :agree:

Michelle can never spin like Sasha does, that's a given. But she CAN, and I believe WILL, improve.
We have yet to see a COP prepared Kwan. I think with the reports of her working as hard as she is, we will see a very different Michelle this season. I can't even hazard a guess at this point about what her chances are of winning. I want to see everyone's new programs first.

R.D.

Record Breaker
We have yet to see a COP prepared Kwan. I think with the reports of her working as hard as she is, we will see a very different Michelle this season. I can't even hazard a guess at this point about what her chances are of winning. I want to see everyone's new programs first.

Not only this, but it's imperative if she wants to do well at the Olympics. So no doubt we (should) see an improved MK. But how improved? Like you said, there's no telling who's gonna win anything at this point (except Nationals, of course ;) ) . And I certainly agree with your last sentence.

cianni

On the Ice
Michelle/Sasha

Good post RGirl .I agree I feel Michelle is ripe for the OGM and Nats maybe even Worlds. Now as to the programs I think Michelle has one advantage she doesnt usually make many small mistake as Sasha does that said can Sasha stay on her feet and not make 3/4 mistakes. I want fire in Michelles belly after all this is it for her and most of the others in the top 5/6 skaters. I seems we are assuming these skaters will do the jumps and spins etc. and I dont think that is going to happen. Not all will hold up under the pressure.

soogar said:
People who were present at Euros reported that Suzanne was dying toward the end of her performance while Irina maintained her energy. I know that would have a huge factor on how the judges view the program in person.
I think your post would read better if you put a "Some" in front of your first sentence. Susanna may have been dying by some of the spectators but for others Irina was already dead. No matter, the judges were bent on Irina to win and she did. Over and out.

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
No matter, the judges were bent on Irina to win and she did. Over and out.

Joe

I would love to KNOW what the judges intend too...how do you do that?

emma said:
Not easy emma, but it does happen especially with close contests. It used to be easy to see in the 6.0 system when the judges were known. Contests were decided by judges of a specific region. Without going into a can of worms, I believe you know many such competitions.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
emma said:
It was easy, if judges bend to a perticular to win, just cut every possible slacks to this skater's 5 PCS component scores (0.15 for each adds up to 0.75) and cut some slacks at GOE too. For the closest competetors, take off 0.15 for each PCS components, so over all you'd have 1.5 points different in PCS scores only. Big enough to decide the winner. And if you look closely in overall score sheets (all skaters all PCS scores) you might not even notice the difference.

It is figure skating, it will never be absolutely 'fair'....

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
skatingfan5 said:
Just one point: IF Michelle were to land even a 3T-3T and then five other triple jumps and a double axel, her base value could be just the same as skaters who landed a 3Z-3L or 3Z3T, especially if one of her other jump combinations is a 3 jump one (as she did at 2005 Worlds). .
Slutskaya, Arakawa, Cohen, and Kostner each attempted a three-jump combination with at least one triple in the Worlds LP, and all but Arakawa rotated it. (Kostner's was a 3/3/2). If all competitors rotate land land what they attempt, we can assume that they will all have a 3/3/2 or 3/2/2 in their program.

skatingfan5 said:
A skater who landed two 3-3's would have an "extra" jumping pass to include a second double axel, but that would be the only base value advantage.
Were that entirely true, that extra 2A was worth 3.3 points, or 3.6 points after the halfway mark in 2005. (For the upcoming season I can only find the Scale of Values for the elements with L4's, in the rule change communication.) To add 3.6 points to the base value other elements, the skater would have to upgrade three to four elements from a L2 to a L4.

skatingfan5 said:
With CoP, it is cumulative points and a 3Z-3T or 3Z-3L combo doesn't get any added value above the jumps done separately -- but having a triple-triple (or 2axel-triple combo) is necessary to be able to include seven triples in the program.
Only two triples can be repeated twice. If Kwan does a 3T/3T, it means she can only repeat one other triple, compared to other skaters who can repeat the 3F and 3Lz. That could be close to three points, if the harder repeated triple were performed late. For the skater who performs two 3/3's ending in 3T, thus repeating the 3T, she has an additional jumping pass. Both have the psychological advantage of being perceived as harder, even if NJS does not reward this in base value.

skatingfan5 said:
A 3-3 sequence will actually score only 80% of what the two jumps would be individually, but again, it gives the skater a chance to include 7 triples by freeing up one of the seven allowed jumping passes.
That's why I didn't think Cohen had the advantage in base points over a Kwan without a 3/3, although a 3 SEQ 3 might influence the judges in other aspects.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Little OT, but apparently a post on the MKF claims that in skating magazine, Irina was asked a question like "If you can't win (the Olympics), who would you want to win?" And her answer?

MK.

I thought people (especially the Kwannies) would get a kick out of it, since we seem to be on the discussion of predicting/debating what's going to happen.

Red Dog said:
Little OT, but apparently a post on the MKF claims that in skating magazine, Irina was asked a question like "If you can't win (the Olympics), who would you want to win?" And her answer?

MK.

I thought people (especially the Kwannies) would get a kick out of it, since we seem to be on the discussion of predicting/debating what's going to happen.
You don't have to understand Kwannies to appreciate what goes on in Sports and Arts. Age and tenure take on new meaning with rivals especially with respect. Evert/Navratilova; Close/Streep, etc.

Only the catty skaters especially at midlife in their careers debase the sport.

Joe

Speaking of Martina Navratilova :love: , she's still going strong at age 48. She won her first-round matches in both ladies doubles and mixed doubles in the U.S. open Thursday and yesterday.

Maybe Michelle and Irina can start up a new form of pairs skating when they retire.

MM

Same sex Pairs...hmm?... Sasha and Tara? Michelle and Yuka? Elena S/ Nicole B? Evan/Eman? Weir/Lambiel? Could you believe Yags/Plush??

Do you think those skaters could shadow each other?

Joe

gezando

Final Flight
Robin Wagner and Sasha Cohen already performed a duet to Rossini's Duetto Buffo Di Due Gatti :)

Last edited:

ceg15

On the Ice
wow, thats really interesting and yes, she did make some nice comments about Michelle :)

Kuchana

On the Ice
Some excellent points raised to which I don't have to repeat them:)

The only thing I hope for in this season for Michelle is to not depend on the other skater's mistakes because it may well end up that someone does skate better than her. To ensure this of course, she has to not only be consistent but both technically and artistically challenge everyone in order to be a major contender.

Absolutely, Kuchana - If Michelle does not take risks and does skate a beautiful routine without errors, there will be others who will nail their risks and fill up the podium, and the beautiful routine will not be among them.

In my opinion, the highest techncial scores with buttered up PCS scores will win the competition.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
If Michelle does not take risks and does skate a beautiful routine without errors, there will be others who will nail their risks and fill up the podium, and the beautiful routine will not be among them.

...and hopefully she KNOWS this, and will try to work around it. If there's one thing that's really gotten her, it's being conservative when at least one other skater decides to go all out. It happened to her TWICE at the Olympics.