Two articles about Turino (ones to watch) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Two articles about Turino (ones to watch)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Maybe, in her practices, Michelle is finding out if she can do the things -- the jumps, new spins, etc., required by the new system -- without too much pain or too much risk of injury -- and will see at Campbell's if she can succeed -- and take things from there,

What gripes me about Michelle is that she came back from the 2002 misery with an incredible DC Worlds in 2003. The motivation, the power, the MK I knew since 94 was singing "I'm still here" It just went out the door for 2004 and 05. If she was feeling pain in those years along with fear to over work herself, then I believe it is time to quit. I'm just hoping she goes out fighting and not just a run through of the LP.

She has a first rate coach; she's always had good choreographers and now she may well have, arguably, the best choreogapher. On paper she looks to be a serious top contender, but how will it play out?

Remember practice sessions cause more pain and injuries than a transcontinental trip. She can afford first class now.

I'm going to Skate America. She better be there.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
What gripes me about Michelle is that she came back from the 2002 misery with an incredible DC Worlds in 2003. The motivation, the power, the MK I knew since 94 was singing "I'm still here" It just went out the door for 2004 and 05. If she was feeling pain in those years along with fear to over work herself, then I believe it is time to quit. I'm just hoping she goes out fighting and not just a run through of the LP.

She has a first rate coach; she's always had good choreographers and now she may well have, arguably, the best choreogapher. On paper she looks to be a serious top contender, but how will it play out?

Remember practice sessions cause more pain and injuries than a transcontinental trip. She can afford first class now.

Joe

By some twisted sort of fate, ITA with this. This is more or less how I feel about her as well.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

I honestly thought she might have considered hungup her skates after 2003's 'BIG BANG' come back....It was the circumtanse or something happened in that year ...., and her met with Raphael, they re-evaluated her skating..... convinced her continue competing....IShe was taking 'easy' these couple of years.

Hi, MZheng, glad to see you back. We missed you.

attyfan said:
Maybe, in her practices, Michelle is finding out if she can do the things -- the jumps, new spins, etc., required by the new system -- without too much pain or too much risk of injury -- and will see at Campbell's if she can succeed -- and take things from there.
I agree with that assessment, and I think it is the key one. Last year Michelle said that she had intended to compete in Skate America and Skate Canada, but withdrew at the last minute because it hurt her back to practice the new spin positions required for top scores under the New Judging System. We have no reason to doubt that this is anything other than the simple truth.

By her own admission, the aspect of the CoP that Michelle and her advisors misjudged, was that there were hard and fast criteria for GOE marks (and also for PCS, but these were not so strictly applied last year). She thought she could pick up some positive GOEs just by skating pretty, which would make up for the points that she gave up by performing lower level spins. It didn't work out that way.

At Campbell's I hope we will see at least a preliminary version of her entire program. I think it would be a mistake for her to come out with half a program and plan to add to it over the course of the season. I think her best strategy is to come out smokin'.

Then again, she didn't ask me what I thought, LOL. :)

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
The less hyped one.

posted by attyfan:
Kwan was the top scorer in both '02 and '82. Nancy in '94.
I just had a funny image of two-year-old Michelle charming a horde of Olympic reporters. :laugh: I'm easily amused. :p

posted by antmanb:
Of the ladies that you mention i don't think Fumie has a cat in hell's chance of even making the podium let alone winning the thing outright.
Just jumping in to defend my second favorite lady. ITA with Mathman, Fumie has a great chance of making the podium. She's been in the top five in the long program at Worlds for the past four years. Even without the 3/3 or 3/2/2 combos, her programs have scored very well technically under the CoPs when she's skated decently. I think she had all level two spins and footwork and level 3 spirals. It has been skating in the second to last group that has hurt her these past two seasons. If she can skate a solid SP in Turino, she won't be as undermarked as she has been. She showed some real grit and fire at 4CC this year--I think she has it in her to skate like that again.

Re: Michelle--again I agree with Mathman. :laugh:

Last edited:
Mathman said:
Last year Michelle said that she had intended to compete in Skate America and Skate Canada, but withdrew at the last minute because it hurt her back to practice the new spin positions required for top scores under the New Judging System. We have no reason to doubt that this is anything other than the simple truth.
But the back was in perfect shape for the two pre Nats and Olys and post Olys.

At Campbell's I hope we will see at least a preliminary version of her entire program. I think it would be a mistake for her to come out with half a program and plan to add to it over the course of the season. I think her best strategy is to come out smokin'.
and a little more knowledge of what's going on plus Irina's drive

Then again, she didn't ask me what I thought, LOL. :)
She doesn't listen to me either! ;)

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joesitz said:
But the back was in perfect shape for the two pre Nats and Olys and post Olys ...

Joe

Do you mean Worlds? I don't think her back was in perfect shape at Campbell's -- it showed in her layback. More importantly, I didn't see in any event the changes of position (and the strain on her back) that Irina and Sasha were doing. It occurred to me that Michelle is not as naturally flexible as Irina or Sasha, and it may be taking her longer to learn similar moves.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Why should she quit? Just beacuse she was feeling pain? Only she can be the judge of whether something is too painful to carry on skating or not. Even with the pain she can still make a lot of money and have a good career and still only have four people in teh world beat her. Would you quit your job just because you were ill or in pain? Wouldn't you choose to cut back the number of hours/commitments you put in but still carry on?

Joesitz said:

Joe

And therein lies the real reason you're upset with her!

Ant

antmanb said:
And therein lies the real reason you're upset with her!
:laugh: Me, too!

I just found out that there is going to be big conference in my field in Philadelphia on the exact dates of Skate America. Now I can get off work on the pretext of going to the conference, check in at the registration desk, then rent a car and cruise on down to Atlantic City.

That puts a whole new light on Michelle doing the Grand Prix. Of course she must!!

Mathman :)

Mathman said:
:laugh: Me, too!

I just found out that there is going to be big conference in my field in Philadelphia on the exact dates of Skate America. Now I can get off work on the pretext of going to the conference, check in at the registration desk, then rent a car and cruise on down to Atlantic City.

That puts a whole new light on Michelle doing the Grand Prix. Of course she must!!

Mathman :)
MM - I think from Philly, Atlantic City is about an hours drive, if that. You'd better check a hotel reservation. I'm at the Holiday Inn which is the closest to the Arena, and I believe, the official hotel. I have a room with 2 beds (I think) if you want to share? Otherwise there is the beach :laugh: Oh, I forgot, they don't call them beaches in New Jersey. It's called The Shore. :cool:

Joe

Lucy25

Final Flight
Mathman said:
She thought she could pick up some positive GOEs just by skating pretty, which would make up for the points that she gave up by performing lower level spins. It didn't work out that way.
Sorry, MM, but statements like this really burn me. We have NO idea what Michelle thought. I, myself, like to give her a bit more credit than this.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
Sorry, MM, but statements like this really burn me. We have NO idea what Michelle thought. I, myself, like to give her a bit more credit than this.

Why does that burn you? IIRC, plenty of MK fans were out and about last season with that EXACT speculation - MK can do level X (lower level) moves and make it up on positive GOE. If that indeed was her strategy, which I don't believe any of us know, it didn't work.

I'm sure MM does not know (as none of us do) what she is thinking about now (or last season for that matter) in terms of levels and GOE, just as her many other fans did not know what she was thinking last season.

If MK comes out with her skates on fire for the season, her fans won't have to worry about speculating on her strategies, defending her strategies, mentioning jet lag, injury prevention, or anything of the sort. MK will simply do what she does best.

Beyond that, I will wait for the MK Autobiography one day and hear from her lips what her strategies and/or concerns actually were.

DG

Lucy25

Final Flight
It burns me that people seem to think they know what Michelle (or any athlete) is thinking or expecting when they actually have no idea. Did things work out for Michelle as she probably hoped? No. Do we know that Michelle thought she could just skate pretty in order to gain more points? No. I can't believe she would even think such a thing. It sounds ridiculous.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
It burns me that people seem to think they know what Michelle (or any athlete) is thinking or expecting when they actually have no idea. Did things work out for Michelle as she probably hoped? No. Do we know that Michelle thought she could just skate pretty in order to gain more points? No. I can't believe she would even think such a thing. It sounds ridiculous.

The second sentence of your post implies that YOU know what she thought. How do you or any of us know what MK "hoped" for last season? What I'm suggesting is that NONE of us know MK's thoughts or strategies outside of any public statements she makes. How exactly do YOU know that things did or did not work out as she hoped or thought?

There is a segment of the MK fan population that seems to "know what MK thinks" when it's all good, but wants to tear up anyone with an opposing opinion, when NOBODY has read her mind, or can quote her.

All MK has to do is just lay it down on the ice. That's all. The rest of the chatter doesn't mean anything compared to a winning SP and LP.

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
It should be understood that people don't know exactly what the skater was thinking. After all, that's the point of speculation, right? I seriously doubt anyone here claims to know what's on anyone's mind. If such thinking was banned, there'd be basically nothing to talk about. :no:

R.D.

Record Breaker
All MK has to do is just lay it down on the ice. That's all. The rest of the chatter doesn't mean anything compared to a winning SP and LP.

Exactly. And this comment applies to every other competitor as well.

Red Dog said:
It should be understood that people don't know exactly what the skater was thinking. After all, that's the point of speculation, right? I seriously doubt anyone here claims to know what's on anyone's mind. If such thinking was banned, there'd be basically nothing to talk about. :no:
Nothing wrong with speculation and response to it is permitted, and out and out disagreement is permitted. However, in the last analysis it is just speculation - nothing of fact.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
The second sentence of your post implies that YOU know what she thought. How do you or any of us know what MK "hoped" for last season? What I'm suggesting is that NONE of us know MK's thoughts or strategies outside of any public statements she makes. How exactly do YOU know that things did or did not work out as she hoped or thought?
DG
The difference is that my statement does not imply that it is fact. It suggests my speculation. I have no idea what is in any skater's mind and have no idea what he/she is thinking. That's why my wording is as it is. As Joesitz says, speculation is fine and dandy. It's the blanket statements ("So and So thinks this...") that bother me because some posters may read it and think it as fact. That's really not fair to the skater. And I do know that Michelle was disappointed with her Worlds experience because she said so in her interviews after the competition.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:

DG

Then I'm wondering why we are even here and at FSU are posting. Over 90% posts all around the boards are about speculating what skater will do, what stratege they were taking. From all fans about their favorates.