U S Nationals Happiness Meter | Golden Skate

U S Nationals Happiness Meter

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's all done and in the record books now.

How happy are you with the outcomes of each Senior Event? You can also comment on Junior/Novice/etc... I just don't follow those events closely, so I'll refrain.

Let's use an arbitrary 1-10 scale. Here is my happiness meter:

Pairs: 7. I guess the right team won and got the Olympic berth, but it wasn't thrilling. I'm glad Cain/LeDuc came back with a stronger FS.

Dance: 10 +. I am over the moon about this outcome. I've been rooting for Zach and Maddie for ages. I love this team. I've been waning in enthusiasm for Chock/Bates for a couple of years, but I'm now renewing my Fan Club membership. The Shibs are the Shibs - who can NOT love them?

Men: 9
. I thought Nathan did a fantastic job, especially if he was, as Scott Hamilton noted, "sick as a dog." I like Vincent, and he had been on my pre-event podium, so good for him. I like that he went for broke. My only quibble is the Ross situation. I'm a proponent of US Nats being a "trial" although I grudgingly accept that it is not. Under the current rules, if I had been on the selection committee, I'd have made the same decision they did. I'm sad about Max, of course, and he was my biggest personal disappointment.

Ladies: 10. Bradie answered questions about whether her nerves could hold up, now that expectations were higher. Mirai - good for her! I love a good comeback story, and I especially love that she made dang sure that the judges had no choice this time around. I personally enjoy Karen more than Ashley, so I'm happy the way that turned out, too.

So, how do things rank on your Happiness Meter?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Men:
5: I'm glad Nathan won and Vincent medaled but I'm devastated for Jason and for Ross for not being named to the team

Ladies:
9: Right team, just wish that Mariah Bell and Starr Andrews were higher and that Emmy Ma hadn't bombed

Pairs:
7: Really wish Cain/LeDuc could have skated the SP better and placed higher than 4th. Also sad for Denney/Frazier, but happy for the top two.

Dance:
6: The Shibutanis were the winners in my book. They were so close to actually winning and it was tantalizing. I would have had: ShibSibs, H/D, C/B, H/B, M/C, P/P

GGFan

Record Breaker
I'll keep it to the event and not the selection of the teams because I've said plenty.

Men
5: Almost completely on the strength of the short program. When viewed in isolation that was a great night! Lots of variety and great performances like you would want at Nationals. in terms of the final result i thought the placings were fair but I was sad for Jason and heartbroken for Adam. There were too many lackluster performances in general, including Nathans--though I'm happy his jumps are back.

Ladies
7: For someone who likes people to go out on top and was thrilled with 2016, Ashley's performances were a letdown. There were some highlights like Angela's short but not gonna like I love me some artistry and performance and our ladies really are not bringing it. Japanese nationals this was not :dev2: However I thought the placings were fair even if the scores were laughable.

Pairs
Incomplete/4: I was away so I have not watched most of the event. However, since returning home I have not been motivated to do so partly because it's easy for our pairs to make me cringe, especially in the free. Happy with the results. The Knierims belong in a different tier than the other teams in the US. Their jumps and refinement definitely isn't top level but they can have a respectable result at the Olympics.

Dance
9: H/B killed it throughout which I loved. H/D finally won and the Shibs killed the short. I think the placings were correct. My only quibble was that ridiculous score for C/B's free. Not buying it judges. :scratch2:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Pairs: The right team was selected, I just wish that they had skated a better free program along the way. I hope they can skate cleaner at the Olympics. It's just disappointing to have a team win with such a mistake-riddled skate.

Dance: We all knew what the team would be, LOL. I don't mind H/D winning over the Shibs since I like both teams and the Shibs DID have an error. It's exciting that all three top teams are so close going into the Olympics.

Men: I'm disappointed that Ross didn't make the Olympics but I can see the case for including Adam. I wish Vincent had been bumped instead, but granted, they had already bumped him last year for Worlds. I'm disappointed for Jason and Grant but there are just not enough spots on the Olympic team, 4CC team or podium for all the guys I like!

Ladies: Disappointed for Ashley, but she was pretty lackluster compared to the top three, so I think the choice for the Olympic team was right. I'm really happy for Mirai since she missed the team the last time around, and I like Karen and Bradie.

I have an opinion only about the performances that they showed on on NBC and MBCSN. I don't get much from trying to look at live streams on the Internet, although I appreciate reading along on Golden Skate, especially live reports from the arena.

Men's short: 10. Homeboy Grant Hochstein slayed. He has never skated better. My first real chance to see Jason's "Room." Loved it. Adam was flawless.

Men's long: 6. I guess I just don't like men's long programs. In general, long programs lack choreography, vision and purpose, compared to those short program gems.

Ladies SP. 5. Nothing really stands out, from what I saw.

Ladies LP: 8. Bradie gave a good accounting of herself. I was happy for Mirai. Starr Andrews brought the house down (which shows what can happen if you skate cleanly). Local advertising took up the first half of Mariah Bell's performance :disagree: , but what I saw was what i had hoped to see in the SP.

Judging was unremarkable and fair throughout, IMHO.

Pairs: 5. Nothing stood out. Outcome seemed right.

Free Dance: 10+ (agree with TontoK on this). i came away with the impression that the Shibutani's "trilogy" concept spanning three seasons didn't quite work. They have not been able to recapture "Fix You." Their hopes for Olympic bronze rest on building up an OD lead.

Hubbell and Donohue were never better and at last they threw off the bad luck that seemed to be dogging them in the last couple of years.

Chock and Bates' free dance was the best, in my opinion and in that of the judges. This is a side of Madison :love: that seems more mature and nuanced than we have seen. Beautiful dancing. I don't know which of the three U.S. teams I will be rooting for in PyeongChang.

tzazu

Medalist
Dance: 10 First here, because it's my favourite discipline :biggrin: Though Shibs were my fav in this competition (and the second team in my heart for winning Olimpics), and I like more their style than H/B, their were far for being perfect. H/B were the best this competition, they are, IMO, the fair winners. C/B deserved their bronze, thoug they looked really unhappy about their grades:(

Men: 8 Glad Nathan won, but more important, he performed really well (but the custome :drama:). Sad because of Rippon, a great year finished with a bad performance. Brown, I love him, but this year it's been a nightmare. Ross made his life's performance :luv17:. Vincent...not my taste yet, hope his full development will come with more time

Ladies: 9 Bradie surprised me in her GP assignment, was the first time I saw her, but my doubt was if she was capable of doing such a good second performance, and voilà!, she achieved it. Mirai is a fighter, she risks with the 3A, and because of that, she deserves all my admiration. Ashley, these last two years have been a letdown, sorry for her. Karen, love her skating; after last year Nats I nursed a hope of doing a good performance at Worlds, and she didn't disappointed me; she is the fair bronze medalist here

Pairs:- :hopelessness:I must recognize that I didn't watch it...Time difference is killer (wee hours here), this week has been a nightmare in my work, I've been on duty most of the days (too many people hospitalized with the flu)...and...pairs are not the best in this competition:slink:...

About the choices for OG; Worlds and 4CC I believe they are right. The committee must think about the best options to reach the higher positions, and I think the chosen ones are the best options, given the performances of some of the skaters during this last year or during their career as skaters (for better or for worse)

Sorry in advance, my English is a bit cr...and with such a long comment, grammar and spelling mistakes will be numerous :handw:

Ladies: Meh/meh I like Karen, but it's not like they're going to win anything.
Men: 9/10 I like the top 3 in the results, and I like whom they're sending to the Olympics. Wish it could've been fairer for Ross with his other assignments, but at least he's going for 4CC.
Dance: 10/10 I like the Shibs.
Pairs: Don't follow this for the US, but I guess I like the winners.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pairs - 10
Ice dance - 7
Men's - 2
Ladies - 4

rlopen

On the Ice
Men: 2 I'm happy Adam made the team but they seriously did Ross dirty...USFSA still makes it out to be that nationals is important but then goes about spouting body of work, it's quite hypocritical and not clear IMO...I really think #1 and #2 should be safe. And if they're gonna do their body of work criteria they should do it transparently like Korea does...otherwise it just looks like they're favoring other skaters. The more I think about it the more angry it makes me.
Dance: 8.5
Pairs: 9
Ladies: 7.5 Mirai getting REDEMPTION!!!! While I'm not there for Bradie's coronation here as the new ice skating princess like they've done with Tara, Kimmie, Rachel, Gracie, Polina, etc. she actually deserved that first place. Also I do like Karen's skating so good to see her. Even though I'm not totally gutted for Ashley I love her speaking out...imo it was the rightful team it should have been definitely Mirai and Bradie then whichever one of Karen/Ashley. However I'm not here for how they underscored for Mariah (she SOLD that WSS...and I haven't liked it this whole season) and Angela.

TCAngel18

Medalist
Men-6.

They did Ross RULLLLLL dirty. I get how they devalued the Nationals for the BoW, but they overscored Vincent in PCS in both segments. He got that PCS Quad bonus (you know it exists) even though 80 percent of his quads are either underrotated or Downgraded. Even though he didn’t make the team, Ross should have been first alternate for Olympics, not 2nd. Let Jason be the first alternate for worlds, where consistency and scoring potential matters for future seasons.

It should NOT have been Ross vs Adam in that decision.

Ladies-4.

Most of the ladies got screwed here. Mirai should be National Champion, Ashley should be on the team, Mariah should have been ahead of Karen, Angela should be ahead of Starr. Reference my ad nauseum posts why 😂😂.

Pairs-7. The right team won, and I think the placements were mostly fine, but there was some definite overscoring and underscoring. Kayne and O’Shea should not have higher PCS or GOE then Castelli/Tran. They land their jumps cleaner, and that is only 2 of 12 elements. I could see a case where Stellato/Bartholomay have a claim for 2nd (even both teams got overscored a lot). I get Deanna fell on the throw, but it was a QUAD throw. I firmly believe Kayne/O’Shea got a former national champ bonus.

Ice Dance-58000. Nah, actually a 9.

YAAAAAAS MADI AND ZACH. They have such an old school vibe, but matched with the increased difficulty of the times. They really do sizzle on the ice.

The Shibs need a new Free Dance, Stat. Paradise isn’t working, it’s stale and too contrived. Dance should look and feel organic, not planned. Now, mind you, Fix You was their absolute Masterpiece, and one of my all time favorite Free Dances, at least in my top 10, maybe top 5 on a good day. Paradise seems like the less pretty sister.

Chock/Bates need a more seamless SD. I also think they need a different track for their FD. I like Imagine on them, but I feel the actual track itself doesn’t give them enough chances to highlight themselves. Plus, they need to keep their levels in the step sequences. They need one more thing to make them shine; they have the 2nd Best Dance lifts in the world (IMO) behind Tessa and Scott, but they need one more “Wow” element. Their twizzles are too slow and tentative compared to the top teams.

noskates

Record Breaker
Ladies - 6 - Bradie Tennell is very good but I found her to be formulaic. Wanted Mariah Bell to do better. Love her skating. Starr was wonderful. I think Ashley should have kept her mouth shut but she looked beautiful on the ice and I think she was undermarked.

Men - 8 - I wish Jason had skated better. I'm in the camp that the Olympic men's team is as it should be. Love Ross but have watched him for years and he's - at best - a 5th or 6th place finisher. He had a wonderful competition but I don't know how he would do internationally. We'll see how he does at 4 Continents.

Pairs - 8 - Stellato and Bartholomay were so inspirational and she was so thrilled at their bronze. I do think the Knierems are the right team to send to the Olys but Kayne and O'Shea were also very good. Danny reminds me a lot of David Pelletier. Same body type, same strength....

Dance - not my favorite discipline. Watched it because I had the ticket. I do prefer the Shibs but they didn't seem to have the fire this time. Chock and Bates bug me. She always wears a dress with scarf-type stuff hanging from it that gets in the way and is distractingh, they almost do too much changing of positions without holding any of them too long. I don't know a lot about dance so can't speak to the technical side of it but for me, not pleasant to watch them.

crankyintheAM

On the Ice
Pairs - I haven't watched anything yet. :eek:: As for the selection to the Olympic Team, it was never in question it would go to Alexa and Chris no matter what happened.

Ladies - 8. I mean, I like the top 3, I agree with the team selection. I liked Mariah's FS in spite of the fall. It wasn't great but it was exciting. It's cool when you're not a big fan of anyone so you can just relax and watch.

Men - For the skating 7 - for Nathan's ugly, distracting costumes 3 - for team selection 0 happiness. I see why they picked Adam, but I don't understand why they felt the need to treat Ross so poorly. Or why they jumped over Grant and gave the 4CC spot to Max. Nothing against Max, I just don't get it.

Dance - :points: Finally my favorite ice dance team wins! Definitely 10 in the happiness meter! It would be a 10+ if I didn't disagree with the FD score. As a H/D fan I'm so used to disappointment that even dare to hope it could happen... and it did! SWEET!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Dance: 10+ Madi and Zach :love: So absolutely thrilled with this outcome, and that FD is stunning. And the Parsons had a much better event than their last couple, and made the 4CC team, so I'm happy. I was also very impressed with M/C's FD, and H/B were lovely.

Pairs: 8 Not super invested in most of the US pairs, so I can't go higher than that, but it was nice to see K/O come back pretty strong, and I was very happy for S/B doing quite well. Especially seeing them so happy after the SP. Looking forward to seeing them at 4CC. C/LD were also quite entertaining in the FS.

Men: 6.5 Things I liked - It was great to see Nathan skate well in the FS, loved Adam's SP and reaction to his scores, Alexei's SP was great, and some of the other guys were very entertaining, like Jimmy Ma and Ross in both programs. Also happy that Adam ended up on the team, which I felt was the correct decision. Things I didn't like - It was too bad that Alexei was sick and his FS was a little rough. I was hoping he'd place high enough for 4CC because I really like him, but in the circumstances it's better for him to get a break before JW. Obviously wasn't happy to see Adam's FS, especially since I love the program; not a nice way for it to go down. And I do think that Ross should have at least been 1st alternate for things, Olympics at a minimum. And I'm not sure about Max for 4CC. I do like him, so I'm happy in that way, but it probably should have been Grant. Overall I'm happy with the actual Olympic team and there were some great performances, so it's a net positive for me.

Ladies: 3.5 Starr was lovely to watch, I'm happy for Bradie (I like her, even if I don't love her skating), and Mirai of course, but there weren't very many good performances overall. I had hoped that Ashley would make the team, liked the La LA Land dress a lot. I totally agree that she doesn't have the body of work to bump Karen, but the PCS weirdness combined with how close the final result was did leave a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Oh but, Mariah was quite entertaining.

It was nice that ice dance finished last, since I was so happy with the results - the event ended on a high for me.