Underbooted? Boot help and recommendations please! | Golden Skate

Underbooted? Boot help and recommendations please!

Vladik

On the Ice
Just to give you a rundown, I was fitted by my local pro shop’s skate tech back in September 2022, just a couple weeks before starting level 1 Skate UK. It’s now January 2022 and I’m in Skate UK level 8.

No hate to my skate tech who fitted me, he still sharpens my skates today and he’s great. However, the fitting wasn’t anything too professional - It was sort of a casual thing. I went in with no skating experience, and explained how I was going to be starting lessons and wanted to be fitted. He asked me a few questions and asked what my shoe size was (I’m about a 4.5), and pulled out two pairs of skates (Size 3) for me to try on. He also mentioned I clearly have very strong legs, and asked me what other sports I do lol.

We first tried on the Graf 500’s (Stiffness rating: 20 (I think)), which upon bending my knees, I creased them straight away. They didn’t have anywhere near enough support for me.

He did however say he didn’t want to overboot me, as I was only just beginning. So I then tried on Risport Electra Light (Stiffness rating: 45) and initially they were okay when I tried them on. They definitely had a lot more support than the previous boots, and I felt that they were more stiff. Still a tad bit wobbly and I could bend in them, but like I said my legs are strong. Either way, he didn’t want to overboot me and they seemed alright and stiff enough on that day. I purchased them.

Although they were pretty stiff on the day I had gotten fitted, it wasn’t that long before I had broken them in completely. I don’t remember the time period, but it was short. Once they were broken in (how they are now), I have hardly any support and I’m not sure how to explain it, but my ankle/boot can move from side to side too easily. As if there’s loose space and my ankle just wobbles side to side. I never had a problem with basic edges when I first got my skates (as they were still stiff), but now I even have trouble holding a good, relatively deep outside edge because I have no stable control over my ankle, as it just rocks and falls too far out or in.

As a result of not having enough support anymore, my ankles are also now naturally leaning/bending inwards, so I have to physically force them out way too much whenever I skate.

Another issue is my heel slipping out of place a little, not a major thing right now and rarely happens, but it happens occasionally so I thought it’d be worth a mention.

Just to clarify, I am tying my skates properly. I know how to, don’t worry. No matter how tight I tie them, this is all still an issue.

I’ve been planning on buying new skates this Summer (around June/July), and have been in contact with a shop down in the South of England called Everglides. I’ve been researching them a bit, and they do proper 2 hour long fittings which seem appropriate.

Although I’m going to take their word for things when I get fitted by them, I’d like an opinion from you guys aswell!

I obviously trust the shop, but I’m hoping other things will be taken into consideration such as my leg strength. I really don’t want a repeat of the same situation I’m in right now, (underbooted I think).

I also obviously don’t want to drastically overboot aswell.
I have a large friend group at my rink, and meet lots of new people most days. I was chatting to a girl the other day at the rink, who’s in Risport Royal Pro’s, despite only jumping singles. I explained to her my situation, and she said she’s the same as me, and she broke in every boot she bought/was fitted into, because she has a lot of leg strength like myself. So what may have been an overboot to others her level, could have been an underboot to her… etc..

I’ve spoken to a few others who have the same sort of situations too!

Like I said, my final choice of boot will be based on Everglides’ fitting. But I’m also curious what skates you guys think may be appropriate for my level - if you have any recommendations on boots I could look into or enquire about during the fitting? Thanks so much!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just to give you a rundown, I was fitted by my local pro shop’s skate tech back in September 2022, just a couple weeks before starting level 1 Skate UK. It’s now January 2022 and I’m in Skate UK level 8.

No hate to my skate tech who fitted me, he still sharpens my skates today and he’s great. However, the fitting wasn’t anything too professional - It was sort of a casual thing. I went in with no skating experience, and explained how I was going to be starting lessons and wanted to be fitted. He asked me a few questions and asked what my shoe size was (I’m about a 4.5), and pulled out two pairs of skates (Size 3) for me to try on. He also mentioned I clearly have very strong legs, and asked me what other sports I do lol.

We first tried on the Graf 500’s (Stiffness rating: 20 (I think)), which upon bending my knees, I creased them straight away. They didn’t have anywhere near enough support for me.

He did however say he didn’t want to overboot me, as I was only just beginning. So I then tried on Risport Electra Light (Stiffness rating: 45) and initially they were okay when I tried them on. They definitely had a lot more support than the previous boots, and I felt that they were more stiff. Still a tad bit wobbly and I could bend in them, but like I said my legs are strong. Either way, he didn’t want to overboot me and they seemed alright and stiff enough on that day. I purchased them.

Although they were pretty stiff on the day I had gotten fitted, it wasn’t that long before I had broken them in completely. I don’t remember the time period, but it was short. Once they were broken in (how they are now), I have hardly any support and I’m not sure how to explain it, but my ankle/boot can move from side to side too easily. As if there’s loose space and my ankle just wobbles side to side. I never had a problem with basic edges when I first got my skates (as they were still stiff), but now I even have trouble holding a good, relatively deep outside edge because I have no stable control over my ankle, as it just rocks and falls too far out or in.

As a result of not having enough support anymore, my ankles are also now naturally leaning/bending inwards, so I have to physically force them out way too much whenever I skate.

Another issue is my heel slipping out of place a little, not a major thing right now and rarely happens, but it happens occasionally so I thought it’d be worth a mention.

Just to clarify, I am tying my skates properly. I know how to, don’t worry. No matter how tight I tie them, this is all still an issue.

I’ve been planning on buying new skates this Summer (around June/July), and have been in contact with a shop down in the South of England called Everglides. I’ve been researching them a bit, and they do proper 2 hour long fittings which seem appropriate.

Although I’m going to take their word for things when I get fitted by them, I’d like an opinion from you guys aswell!

I obviously trust the shop, but I’m hoping other things will be taken into consideration such as my leg strength. I really don’t want a repeat of the same situation I’m in right now, (underbooted I think).

I also obviously don’t want to drastically overboot aswell.
I have a large friend group at my rink, and meet lots of new people most days. I was chatting to a girl the other day at the rink, who’s in Risport Royal Pro’s, despite only jumping singles. I explained to her my situation, and she said she’s the same as me, and she broke in every boot she bought/was fitted into, because she has a lot of leg strength like myself. So what may have been an overboot to others her level, could have been an underboot to her… etc..

I’ve spoken to a few others who have the same sort of situations too!

Like I said, my final choice of boot will be based on Everglides’ fitting. But I’m also curious what skates you guys think may be appropriate for my level - if you have any recommendations on boots I could look into or enquire about during the fitting? Thanks so much!
Hi! If Risport work for you then look into the RF3 Pro and the Royal Pro. Also, if your boots are as bad as you say, you need new boots ASAP, not waiting another 6 months.

Vladik

On the Ice
Hi! If Risport work for you then look into the RF3 Pro and the Royal Pro. Also, if your boots are as bad as you say, you need new boots ASAP, not waiting another 6 months.
They have life left in them. I’m not allowed to get new ones right now. Not until summer, anyway. Luckily I’m not doing anything too heavy, I’m not jumping or anything. So I should be okay, I know it’s risky. I don’t have another option, but I think I’ll manage, I’m taking it easy. There are people in my level still with rentals.
Thank you for your concern though, and I do completely understand it. I know I need new ones, but as of right now, I’m just tying them extra tight pretty often to get that last bit of support in whilst skating .

And yeah, I’ve been looking at Royal Pro, and RF3. Would the royal pro be too advanced for me? Or could it work?

Also how do I know Risports work for my feet like you said? You may be right, but I’ve never tried on any other brands apart from the Grafs. I guess we’ll wait and see when I go to Everglides later this year!

Thank you again!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
My advice is to trust Everglides. Seriously. I've worked with them to fit a skater with special needs, sent many other very happy and satisfied skaters to them, been there at fittings with skaters and had them fit me. You'll be in good hands but, as @Ic3Rabbit says, it really sounds like you need to go to them sooner rather than later or you'll be risking injury, as well as setting your progress back.

mskater93

Record Breaker
They have life left in them. I’m not allowed to get new ones right now. Not until summer, anyway. Luckily I’m not doing anything too heavy, I’m not jumping or anything. So I should be okay, I know it’s risky. I don’t have another option, but I think I’ll manage, I’m taking it easy. There are people in my level still with rentals.
Thank you for your concern though, and I do completely understand it. I know I need new ones, but as of right now, I’m just tying them extra tight pretty often to get that last bit of support in whilst skating .

And yeah, I’ve been looking at Royal Pro, and RF3. Would the royal pro be too advanced for me? Or could it work?

Also how do I know Risports work for my feet like you said? You may be right, but I’ve never tried on any other brands apart from the Grafs. I guess we’ll wait and see when I go to Everglides later this year!

Thank you again!
Not ideal, but you could use duct tape to add additional support in the boot.

Vladik

On the Ice
My advice is to trust Everglides. Seriously. I've worked with them to fit a skater with special needs, sent many other very happy and satisfied skaters to them, been there at fittings with skaters and had them fit me. You'll be in good hands but, as @Ic3Rabbit says, it really sounds like you need to go to them sooner rather than later or you'll be risking injury, as well as setting your progress back.
Thank you so much! They will take other things into consideration though right? Like I said, I don’t want a repeat of what happened last time with my local skate tech.

What I mean, is when I tried the Electra boots on in store, they felt fine and stiff enough, so I went home with them. But I broke them down fast. I worry that the same will happen, and something will feel fine in store, but will break down quickly after. Is there any way they can predict that or take that into consideration?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you so much! They will take other things into consideration though right? Like I said, I don’t want a repeat of what happened last time with my local skate tech.

What I mean, is when I tried the Electra boots on in store, they felt fine and stiff enough, so I went home with them. But I broke them down fast. I worry that the same will happen, and something will feel fine in store, but will break down quickly after. Is there any way they can predict that or take that into consideration?
You'll tell Everglides that - and believe me when I say that you will be asked a LOT of questions! - and yes, they will definitely take that into consideration. It's a small business and the staff are professionals in their field, not sales people.

Vladik

On the Ice
You'll tell Everglides that - and believe me when I say that you will be asked a LOT of questions! - and yes, they will definitely take that into consideration. It's a small business and the staff are professionals in their field, not sales people.
Really glad to hear that. My only concern is the appointments are two hours. Obviously that is a long time, but I fear it might not be long enough? I’m sure it won’t run overtime, but I’m also wanting new blades. I’m not sure what I’m getting done yet, whether any heat moulding will be involved, blade mounting, etc.

I live about five hours away so it’s already a trek down there as it is. Me and my mum are saving up a lot of money so we can pay to drive down there. We’re probably going to stay a couple nights in a cheap hotel nearby too, as a 10 hour drive (there and back) in one day is quite inconvenient and very stressful. I don’t want to be making several trips.

Would the 2 hour appointment be enough?

christy

On the Ice
Seriously a 2 hour appointment is amazing, and should be more than enough time. My old skate tech allowed 30 minutes whilst they were doing other stuff like sharpenings so Everglides sounds like a complete dream.