Uno out of WTT | Golden Skate

Uno out of WTT

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That nagging right ankle injury...here's hoping for he gets the rest and recovery he needs for 2023-24!!

"I tried my best to treat it, but I couldn't get it back to the competition level, so I decided to withdraw," said Uno. "I have come to a very regrettable conclusion. To all the fans who were looking forward to the competition, and to the many people involved in the competition, we apologize for the inconvenience. Once again, thank you to all of you who always support me and watch over me warmly. I can grow further as a competitor for the next season. Thank you for your continued support."

JimR

On the Ice
So many injuries to Japanese skaters. Is it bad luck or maybe coaching or training methods? Hopefully he is able to heal for next season.

Amei

Record Breaker
So many injuries to Japanese skaters. Is it bad luck or maybe coaching or training methods? Hopefully he is able to heal for next season.

Well Shoma is currently training with Lambiel and both Rika and Yuzuru who both have what seems like chronic ankle problems were/are TCC skaters. I do wonder if the number of shows the Japanese skaters do is problematic, they tend to do a lot of shows and shows with jumping. So that's extra wear and tear on the joints.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think the injuries are directly related to constant stress on the ankles from jumping. The amount of pressure put on your knees, ankles and feet is horrendous and not taking care of the injury as soon as it happens just exacerbates it. All things considered, Shoma probably shouldn't have competed at Worlds. But - we know that wouldn't have happened.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I think the injuries are directly related to constant stress on the ankles from jumping. The amount of pressure put on your knees, ankles and feet is horrendous and not taking care of the injury as soon as it happens just exacerbates it. All things considered, Shoma probably shouldn't have competed at Worlds. But - we know that wouldn't have happened.
Shoma would probably have gone to worlds even if he didn't have boots - he feels great responsibility being national champion, more so with worlds being in Japan.
In fact, one of his fans on Twitter said it is his 59th? competition of his 8-year senior career, first time ever WDing due to injury! Shoma often competes injured and doesn't like to reduce jump content either so aiming for 5 quads again in his condition was worrying for me.

I'm relieved he is putting his health first but am going to miss him a lot 🥺plus hope Shun has a great experience, lovely to see him skate again this season!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Most on the big podium placers of the individual disciplines end up with injuries these days - Chen now has a chronic hip problem from what I've heard, Zhou's had his problems, most of the Russian girls are up and down with injury (Medvedeva and her back, Shcherbakova's surgery) etc etc. It's the price they pay for taking on the current tech demands of a dangerous sport. I mean, is there anyone who has been on the WC/Olympic podium since 2018 and up to 2022 who hasn't been hurt?

Last edited:

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well Shoma is currently training with Lambiel and both Rika and Yuzuru who both have what seems like chronic ankle problems were/are TCC skaters. I do wonder if the number of shows the Japanese skaters do is problematic, they tend to do a lot of shows and shows with jumping. So that's extra wear and tear on the joints.
Shoma doesn't train with Yuzuru...

Rika has trained with Lambiel in the past, but her injury stemmed from her prior experiences with Mie Hamada, as far as I know.

I'm incredibly glad to have seen Shoma live at Worlds this year. Hoping he heals up and is able to compete to the best of his abilities next season. 💕

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So much pressure on these skaters for themselves, country, coaches and money. Even Shoma doing triples and doubles was risk with this injury. I am so glad he stopped now. I wish skaters / athletes would be more careful. He will be missed especially by the Japanese fans.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well that will throw a cat among the prediction pigeons...
Indeed! I had the US first anyway, but it would have been very close depending on how everyone skated.

I do hope he takes a break from shows or at least limits his jumps over the summer!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I do hope he takes a break from shows

Maybe but I doubt it, he and Kaori are the main drawcards in all of his coming shows (he isn't at Fantasy on Ice ASAIK) so the organisers would be watching closely and looking for TV rights. He can certainly ease off the jumps though.

Amei

Record Breaker
Maybe but I doubt it, he and Kaori are the main drawcards in all of his coming shows (he isn't at Fantasy on Ice ASAIK) so the organisers would be watching closely and looking for TV rights. He can certainly ease off the jumps though.

Isn't part of Rika's persistent problems that she's continued to do shows in lieu of getting the rest that her leg needed?