Vegetarianism and Performing at a top level of dance, skating | Golden Skate

Vegetarianism and Performing at a top level of dance, skating

mnm464

On the Ice
Is it possible?I thought I heard that Alyssa Czisny was a vegetarian and that was how she got injured at a point in time? I am probably heard it wrong(name or something)... but I think you get the point. On Instagram, there is a girl that is a really strong ballet dancer and she is very healthy it seems.
https://instagram.com/julietdoherty
Comments and thoughts appreciated!

peg

Medalist
StitchMonkey beat me to it. Megan Duhamel is vegan, and it doesn't seem to have held her back at all.

That said, if you're vegetarian or vegan, you have to be extra careful to make sure you're getting a the nutrients most people get through meat. Vegetarians can be at greater risk for things like iron deficiency, B12 deficiency, and others. It's not impossible to get those nutrients through alternate sources, but you have to be more deliberate about it. Also, you need to make sure you're getting sufficient proteins, and that they are whole proteins, which often means combining specific types of food.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Will be vegetarian cause a skater to lose their babyface (baby fat perhaps)? I love skaters with some baby face. Too skinny perhaps is not good for figure skating(just my gut feeling:p) Discuss please.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I don't think it is any problem . There are many ways of getting nessecary ingredients like proteins, good fats ,ets. Of course meat gives the best proteins in general

mnm464

On the Ice
what about including eggs and fish in the diet? I like vegetarianism and I think that eggs would be alright since it doesn't involve killing animals(unfertilized chicken eggs).Not so much about the fish, but that is a good way to get the proteins. The factor of milk and cheese also gives proteins right?

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
Vegans can get complete proteins by combining beans and rice. There are many other excellent sources of plant-based proteins, such as quinoa.

peg

Medalist
what about including eggs and fish in the diet? I like vegetarianism and I think that eggs would be alright since it doesn't involve killing animals(unfertilized chicken eggs).Not so much about the fish, but that is a good way to get the proteins. The factor of milk and cheese also gives proteins right?

Vegetarians for the most part do eat eggs and dairy. However, vegans do not - they don't eat anything that comes from animals. Like I said, there are ways to get the necessary nutrients, but it generally requires more thought. The dangers come in when someone isn't paying attention to ensuring they're covering all their bases nutritionally. But it's possible to be vegetarian and vegan and be completely healthy.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Will be vegetarian cause a skater to lose their babyface (baby fat perhaps)? I love skaters with some baby face. Too skinny perhaps is not good for figure skating(just my gut feeling:p) Discuss please.

Vegetarian doesn´t mean you will be skinny. My sister is vegetarian, but I eat enough meat for the both of us, so I guess we are balanced :p.

I´m guessing you will need proteing mostly for the strengthen the muscle, but needs and suplements can be giving by doctors and nutritionist...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Vegetarians for the most part do eat eggs and dairy. However, vegans do not - they don't eat anything that comes from animals. Like I said, there are ways to get the necessary nutrients, but it generally requires more thought. The dangers come in when someone isn't paying attention to ensuring they're covering all their bases nutritionally. But it's possible to be vegetarian and vegan and be completely healthy.

Non vegetarians need ways to get the necessary nutrients too. Lots, even most, of them are very unhealthy. Vegetarian and non vegetarian diets are very broad terms, including a variety of foods, nutritious and junk. Most meats and animal products in the U.S. these days are from livestock in the cruel and sick CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations) system and not eating them actually prevents consumption of many toxins.

BTW, until March 6, the documentary film BOUGHT can be viewed free.

peg

Medalist
Non vegetarians need ways to get the necessary nutrients too. Lots, even most, of them are very unhealthy. Vegetarian and non vegetarian diets are very broad terms, including a variety of foods, nutritious and junk. Most meats and animal products in the U.S. these days are from livestock in the cruel and sick CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations) system and not eating them actually prevents consumption of many toxins.

BTW, until March 6, the documentary film BOUGHT can be viewed free.

Very true. Eating meat does not ensure a healthy diet. My main point though was that it's perfectly possible to be vegetarian and still be getting all your nutritional needs met provided you pay attention to doing so. Of course, the same holds true for omnivores :)

mnm464

On the Ice
Ah. I see... I tried vegetarian 3 years ago and got injured, which is why my parents are skeptical. My dad says you can get all but one crucial amino acid from other supplements. Is this true? This time I am more knowledgeable and will be more careful. Any info from vegetarians themselves on what you eat and how to get the nutrients would be great! Thanks, everyone for all the info!

peg

Medalist
Ah. I see... I tried vegetarian 3 years ago and got injured, which is why my parents are skeptical. My dad says you can get all but one crucial amino acid from other supplements. Is this true? This time I am more knowledgeable and will be more careful. Any info from vegetarians themselves on what you eat and how to get the nutrients would be great! Thanks, everyone for all the info!

I would recommend consulting a nutritionist or dietitian. It's fairly specialized knowledge and if this is something you want to do, given that you are a athlete, you really owe it to yourself to get reliable professional guidance rather than a few tips from a bunch of people on the internet. Some of us might have helpful bits of advice, but we don't have the full knowledge that a professional would have. So even if you get some pointers, there will be some things that we'll miss

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have seen many vegetarians who are over weighted. Or maybe being over weighted was the reason they became vegetarians I don't know.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Being vegetarian is a-okay in my book :yes:

Expecting everyone else to be is not :no:

Do what ya like!

I'm around vegetarians all the time and I usually practice in moderation. I'll choose a few days a week and eat vegetarian only and sometimes for weeks but I also eat meat (mostly chicken) whenever it feels right.

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Being vegetarian is a-okay in my book :yes:

Expecting everyone else to be is not :no:

:slink: I completely understand why some would choose be vegetarian or even vegan. Good for them, but don't be preachy about it. As for me, I love meat but if I had to give it up, I'd become a pescetarian since I can't live without seafood.

mnm464

On the Ice
Fair points. I may have some friends that are in the medical nutrition field that can give further info. I am just in the gather info stage.