Volunteering | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Volunteering

shyne

Final Flight
I received the same notification as sarama did at the very end of 2017. It took me as an astounding surprise - I had problems filling out the application form, and since they never responded to my question I thought I just left it lying on the wayside! (info on the active DL was among the required fields, and I haven't had one for over a decade :eekn:) Obviously I did complete and submitted it, and they accepted my application!!! They say they will contact back *shortly* with further details, what I will be exactly doing, the schedule and the contact info of the person in charge, but nothing followed through so far - which I half expected considering the "Italian organization" :unsure: I do hope I will receive one fairly soon, I need to organize my trip (I did book a place not so far from the venue for a week, but I might have to adjust for an extra day or two, and the train ticket will be less if I book well in advance!).
It is pretty pathetic that the applicants from abroad haven't been contacted yet, they will need even more planning than the Italians who are coming!!! VERY considerate of them :disapp:
I just hope we won't encounter a huge confusion once we get there... *bracing myself* :palmf:

I think it's still too early.
I volunterred at the 2015 and 2016 Worlds. If I recall correctly, I got my assignments in March.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Crikey, that's pretty last minute! That's not very cool if you have to plan a travel, and book flights and accommodations.

If you do hear from them eventually:
They do suggest two accommodations which they say they reserved for the volunteer at "great prices", but they are located on the other side of Milan, not a very convenient location, especially considering that many of us will have to start the day very early. (I contacted them and they will not provide shuttles) You should think twice about it. I found a decent place with really good price very close to Famagosta Station, two stops away from Assago Forum on a Metro on AirBnB. There are several possibilities left there, worth checking it out.

sarama

Medalist
Last minute accomodation can indeed be a problem in Milano. I will take advantage of my best friend who is moving there in a few days (when you say excellent timing!)

shyne

Final Flight
I would just book the hotel/travel.
If you end up not getting the volunteer position, Milan is a beautiful city to explore and you can even take the train to visit Florence or Venice in the morning and make it back to your hotel the same evening. I did that few years back, very convenient.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
They just emailed me saying I got accepted as an 'accomodation assistant' - no clue what that is, but unfortunately I won't be able to go as a volunteer because I can't take a whole week off :drama:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
They just emailed me saying I got accepted as an 'accomodation assistant'
Sorry you cannot go as volunteer. Do they really need you to be available for the entire week? :-(
Accommodation assistant actually sounds intriguing. Could mean anything...

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Sorry you cannot go as volunteer. Do they really need you to be available for the entire week? :-(
Accommodation assistant actually sounds intriguing. Could mean anything...

Yeah the email says "The period in which you will be busy is indicatively from 17th to 26th March 2018" which is way too many days for me, especially since I would have to also pay for my own accomodation - plus I have an exam on the 20th. It doesn't really say anything about the role, so I have no clue what it could mean :\

NNHH

Rinkside
Yeah the email says "The period in which you will be busy is indicatively from 17th to 26th March 2018" which is way too many days for me, especially since I would have to also pay for my own accomodation - plus I have an exam on the 20th. It doesn't really say anything about the role, so I have no clue what it could mean :\

Sorrry you can´t go, but I agree, it is too many days to take off work/school. :( I think that accommodation assistant means that you will help the skaters/teams with hotels, like how to get there from airport or which shuttle to take to arena, or maybe providing informations in the hotel. My friend also got email today and her position is accreditation assistant.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I think that accommodation assistant means that you will help the skaters/teams with hotels, like how to get there from airport or which shuttle to take to arena, or maybe providing informations in the hotel.
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured, too, and maybe act as translator and/or problem solver when there are issues.
Well hey, it's nice they've started to inform people who've been waiting to hear about volunteering. Good!

Eveliina

Rinkside
I finally got reply today and happily I was accepted![emoji7] I’m so excited for this.
My role is sport assistant, anybody has experience about this or any clue?:D

MGstyle

Medalist
Oh, finally some movement!!! :eek: I haven't heard anything from them yet, but I look forward to hearing something from them, it's gotta be soon now!!! Oh, I want that "accomodation assistant" which allows me to lurk around inside the skaters hotel :peace: :biggrin: But then again that means I won't have any chance to watch the competition at the arena? hmmmm... will let you all know as soon as I hear from them :agree:

Congrats @evelina, welcome on board!!! But why the job description is so general and vague, it is not much of a help, is it? :scratch2: at least they will let you know of the exact duration of the assignment though... I only booked a room from 18-25, it maybe difficult to add extra days at the place I booked... :(

Eveliina

Rinkside
Oh, finally some movement!!! :eek: I haven't heard anything from them yet, but I look forward to hearing something from them, it's gotta be soon now!!! Oh, I want that "accomodation assistant" which allows me to lurk around inside the skaters hotel :peace: :biggrin: But then again that means I won't have any chance to watch the competition at the arena? hmmmm... will let you all know as soon as I hear from them :agree:

Congrats @evelina, welcome on board!!! But why the job description is so general and vague, it is not much of a help, is it? :scratch2: at least they will let you know of the exact duration of the assignment though... I only booked a room from 18-25, it maybe difficult to add extra days at the place I booked... :(

Yeah, I’m just waiting more details when I start on the first day and when I finish the last, so I can book flights etc:)

Dorikya

Spectator
I got a reply yesterday evening saying I got a position as accommodation assistant as well... I am happy I got the reply finally as my friend is coming to Italy (later as audience) so we sort of need to plan the accommodation. But it's truly very vague... I even don't know should I arrive on 17th or arrive earlier on 16th.
This makes me feel like aha it is truly an Italian organisation...

Bord

Rinkside
volunteering at world championships?

anyone else volunteering at championships in milan. i applied almost a year ago - and just heard back yesterday i was accepted. they sent lodging info but the it is 40 minutes from stadium. anyone else going?

Bord

Rinkside
more volunteer info

Crikey, that's pretty last minute! That's not very cool if you have to plan a travel, and book flights and accommodations.

If you do hear from them eventually:
They do suggest two accommodations which they say they reserved for the volunteer at "great prices", but they are located on the other side of Milan, not a very convenient location, especially considering that many of us will have to start the day very early. (I contacted them and they will not provide shuttles) You should think twice about it. I found a decent place with really good price very close to Famagosta Station, two stops away from Assago Forum on a Metro on AirBnB. There are several possibilities left there, worth checking it out.

Thank you for all the great info. My letter was pretty specific with dates and person to report to (i have extensive logistics, government and diplomacy experience...) it did list the two hotels - miles away
. can you share the name of the airbnb? any other americans volunteering (i speak french a little, no italian)

Bord

Rinkside
I got an extensive email yesterday with dates, times and who to report to. It listed two hotels - about 45 minutes away - with no transport. I suspect they will email a group of potential volunteers and see who responds - and then go to the second round.

MGstyle

Medalist
Thank you for all the great info. My letter was pretty specific with dates and person to report to (i have extensive logistics, government and diplomacy experience...) it did list the two hotels - miles away
. can you share the name of the airbnb? any other americans volunteering (i speak french a little, no italian)

Hi Bord, ok look here, I hope it will link correctly. There are still several places which is an easy walking distance from Famagosta stations under 50€ a night. Famagosta station is on Metro2, the green line, which goes straight to Assago Forum which is two stops away from there. It should be pretty easy a travel.
(BTW I am American by passport;), though I have been living in Rome for almost 15 years, and was born in Tokyo.)

I did get a reply this evening too, I will be assigned to the lounges/catering for the public (a friend of mine was assigned to the skaters lounge a few years ago, not fair, boo :tantrum:) OR inside the stand ensuring the order/tidiness of the surrounding. They said the duty will last from 19 MOnday - 25 Sunday. The good thing is that they say the work will be "up to" 8 hour shifts, and they even asked if I have a day/days I can't work (I thought the applicants were supposed to be available for the entire week??? :scratch2:) so I MAY have some free time to enjoy myself as well, hopefully. The team leader will work out the schedule of the entire team, and should get back to me. Getting excited!

Bord

Rinkside
Hi Bord, ok look here, I hope it will link correctly. There are still several places which is an easy walking distance from Famagosta stations under 50€ a night. Famagosta station is on Metro2, the green line, which goes straight to Assago Forum which is two stops away from there. It should be pretty easy a travel.
(BTW I am American by passport;), though I have been living in Rome for almost 15 years, and was born in Tokyo.)

I did get a reply this evening too, I will be assigned to the lounges/catering for the public (a friend of mine was assigned to the skaters lounge a few years ago, not fair, boo :tantrum:) OR inside the stand ensuring the order/tidiness of the surrounding. They said the duty will last from 19 MOnday - 25 Sunday. The good thing is that they say the work will be "up to" 8 hour shifts, and they even asked if I have a day/days I can't work (I thought the applicants were supposed to be available for the entire week??? :scratch2:) so I MAY have some free time to enjoy myself as well, hopefully. The team leader will work out the schedule of the entire team, and should get back to me. Getting excited!

I so appreciate the information. I will try the link. I think the organisation probably knows the volunteers are eager and willing- so they are not to concerned about helping too much. I think they have asked everyone to block out a rather long window of time - considering the competition doesn't really start till the 21st i think. Lets keep this conversation going - all information sharing is helpful

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I think they have asked everyone to block out a rather long window of time - considering the competition doesn't really start till the 21st i think. Lets keep this conversation going - all information sharing is helpful

Practices start on Monday early morning through late evening. You can bet there will be lots of people around all day, both days, looking for answers to questions, on just about everything, needing food and drinks, and everything will have to be set up on those days etc. And that’s not even taking into account all the skaters arriving on those days, making sure everybody is taken care of, right place, right time and so on. It’d be very strange if they did not require volunteers to be available on those days already.