Want a second coach, not sure how to go about it | Golden Skate

Want a second coach, not sure how to go about it

ttcsvcl

Rinkside
Hello everyone,
I’ve been skating for about a year with the same coach for weekly 30min lessons and have landed nearly all my singles except the axel.

I want to start testing and competing when i land the axel so i’m looking into getting more coaching now that i can afford it.

The issue is i’m still relatively beginner compared to many of my coach’s other skaters who are national champs and landing triples etc.
I’ve asked my coach to extend our lesson or do lessons on another day but he’s got no time.

He’s a very good coach and i really enjoy our lessons but i need more coaching time to choreograph a program and/or work on other skills that i don’t get time to work on with my coach.

The issue is i don’t know how coach politics work and i don’t want to offend him by getting a second coach. I don’t think he would mind if i did get another coach but since I asked him first and he doesn’t have any space for me i think he would understand.

I also have no idea how to go about asking him or how to ask another coach for extra lessons (He’s very sweet and I’m not socially awkward, it’s just around coaches lmao).

Idk this might’ve sounded stupid but any help would be appreciated, thanks!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I’ve been skating for about a year with the same coach for weekly 30min lessons and have landed nearly all my singles except the axel.

I want to start testing and competing when i land the axel so i’m looking into getting more coaching now that i can afford it.

The issue is i’m still relatively beginner compared to many of my coach’s other skaters who are national champs and landing triples etc.
I’ve asked my coach to extend our lesson or do lessons on another day but he’s got no time.

He’s a very good coach and i really enjoy our lessons but i need more coaching time to choreograph a program and/or work on other skills that i don’t get time to work on with my coach.

The issue is i don’t know how coach politics work and i don’t want to offend him by getting a second coach. I don’t think he would mind if i did get another coach but since I asked him first and he doesn’t have any space for me i think he would understand.

I also have no idea how to go about asking him or how to ask another coach for extra lessons (He’s very sweet and I’m not socially awkward, it’s just around coaches lmao).

Idk this might’ve sounded stupid but any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Talk to your current coach about it. He obviously knows that you would like more coaching time and as he's not in a position to provide it right now, ask his advice on who would be the best person to do it. This way there's pretty much zero chance of offending anyone and you should get the right person to help in your skating journey.

christy

On the Ice
If you have asked him for more time and he hasn't got any availability then I'm sure he won't have a problem if you ask him for suggestions for a second coach. I'd suggest asking him again if he has any time for you, and if / when he says no then ask if he would mind you having a second coach and if he could suggest someone that he works well with.

Vicki7

On the Ice
As long as you talk to your current coach, this shouldn't be a problem. Just explain the situation and I'm sure he'll understand - he may even have recommendations for coaches who would be a good fit for you.

I have two coaches and once we got the "who's teaching what" parts straightened out, it helped my skating massively. My primary coach deals with free skating, and my other coach does all things ice dance, with some crossover for things like spins and footwork (I do free dance). She's very hot on coaching etiquette and ethics and will always get me to check with my primary coach before we embark on new stuff.