Weaver and Poje not ‘placeholders’ | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Weaver and Poje not ‘placeholders’

LauraV

On the Ice
I still think Weaver and Poje will win. C0mpared to Chock and Bates, W&P have a blah short dance but a great free dance.

I think it's very possible, even likely, that W/P will win. I like their SD, but it hasn't been as well received as their FD all season. Their FD HAS scored well, so I still see them as favorites going into the FD.

BUT - C/B have an exciting FD, which imo is also better than their SD, so this is going to be a case of strength against strength. I don't count C/B out by any means.

And of course P/C have that gorgeous FD, and they aren't all that far behind either, so who knows how this is going to end. The final FD flight is gonna be exciting.......

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I think it is anybody's game in the slightly less than two point difference between the top two teams. Don't count out C/L because they are the defending champions and they are also only two points and change behind. The almost three point difference for P/C will be harder.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
They are never world champion material. This is the year they could potentially becoming world champions, but they just couldn't do it. Next year, expect the gap to grow further. They are seasoned skaters, and they haven't improved like the fresh faces. They are the definition of placeholders.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Results leading up to Worlds showed that Papadakis / Cizeron were coming on strong; they won Euros with a huge score and they had the momentum. Weaver / Poje shouldn't have assumed they were a shoo-in for gold and that Chock / Bates was their main competition.

C/B won the SD by earning L4 on all their elements. W/P were second and P/C fourth, but no so far back that they were out of contention. I thought W/P skated a tad cautiously in the FD--a bit slower than usual, and there were a few mistakes, including an extended lift. C/B had a twizzle mistake, but they had better speed and so they won the PCS and edged W/P in the FD. Then P/C blew both their FD scores away, and skated away with the gold medal.

I have to say I was not surprised that P/C won. I was surprised that W/P reacted so badly to their FD score that they didn't go to the second KnC box like all the other teams in the lead. Their absence didn't speak well of their sportsmanship.

sses1

On the Ice
The only thing they have going for them is the fact that ID in Canada is so weak that they can still stay around as Canada's #1 until someone passes them. They would need a miracle to still remain in world medal conversation next season and I don't think its a smart idea to continue competing if you can't hold on to your spot, its rather sad to see a team fade out into obscurity. They should just go pro, but I guess their options wouldn't be as promising as a team like D/W who has an OG and 2 World titles.

GF2445

Record Breaker
For crying out loud look at those sore loser posts from above me!
Just throwing open ended shade at W/P

:rolleye:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
The only thing they have going for them is the fact that ID in Canada is so weak that they can still stay around as Canada's #1 until someone passes them. They would need a miracle to still remain in world medal conversation next season and I don't think its a smart idea to continue competing if you can't hold on to your spot, its rather sad to see a team fade out into obscurity. They should just go pro, but I guess their options wouldn't be as promising as a team like D/W who has an OG and 2 World titles.

Why would they be out of contention? Who else would pass them besides P/C and C/B? Maybe C/L again, or I/Z, but it's doubtful.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With another year together, it is possible that I/Z could pass them.

I don't see them as 'fading away into obscurity', but rather at 26 and 28 following a path similar to Cappellini and Lanotte --- up some years and down others. They will continue to be podium contenders for the next few years.

sses1

On the Ice
Why would they be out of contention? Who else would pass them besides P/C and C/B? Maybe C/L again, or I/Z, but it's doubtful.

Well last worlds they came in 2nd and then they come in 3rd this year. That is already a failure, especially considering they were the favorites for gold. Just look at C/L this season. Once you start loosing, its very rare that you start winning again. They don't have momentum and next season they will have to fight with a bunch of other teams for 3rd place. They are they new Pechalat/Bourzat.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well last worlds they came in 2nd and then they come in 3rd this year. That is already a failure, especially considering they were the favorites for gold. Just look at C/L this season. Once you start loosing, its very rare that you start winning again. They don't have momentum and next season they will have to fight with a bunch of other teams for 3rd place. They are they new Pechalat/Bourzat.
so shibs should have quit a long time ago too then accordingly to your reasoning? and of course, since P/C were 13th last year and 1st this year, all teams have lost momentum and should retire. is that what you are saying? ;)

GF2445

Record Breaker
so shibs should have quit a long time ago too then accordingly to your reasoning? and of course, since P/C were 13th last year and 1st this year, all teams have lost momentum and should retire. is that what you are saying? ;)

Of course, isnt it the only logical conclusion ;)

donezo

On the Ice
Nope, it just shows how important politics is in ice dance, wich is incredibly sad.

Yes, we saw the importance of politics last year when Papadakis/Cizeron were consistently undermarked and robbed of a chance to go to the Olympics. Now they're getting their due and beating teams with inferior artistry and skating skills. Isn't it wonderful?!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If P/C had superior skating skills they would have won the SD too. They had the superior FD this year, and that's what won them the gold medal. Last year their FD was a hot mess.

donezo

On the Ice
If P/C had superior skating skills they would have won the SD too. They had the superior FD this year, and that's what won them the gold medal. Last year their FD was a hot mess.

Well, they did have the highest PCS of the short dance. They were held down by the tech panel.

Their FD last year was wonderful and inventive. I hope they bring it back and finally get the scores they deserved for it!

Frankly I am shocked by the number of posters here coming to bat for Weaver/Poje. Four Seasons was the definition of bland and basic.

BlackPack

Medalist
I was disappointed that they skated to Four Seasons in the beginning in the season, taking a traditional route when they have been known to do programs with a twist or a unique stamp of their style. However, I thought it was a masterpiece of a program, possibly the best Four Seasons I've ever seen. Ultimately, P&C's superior skating skills and awe-inspiring FD blew W&P out of contention. I can accept that, but it was shocking the way W&P were winning everything all season and suddenly they're delegated to bronze. So the judging is once again stilted and uneven. Somewhere along the lines, it became acceptable that once P&C skated clean, they would win.

I think next season will be hardest for P&C. They're such a young pair. They must be overwhelmed by their sudden success. Not too long ago, their programs were juniorish camp. Can they do something like Mozart again next season? How do they keep this level of creativity, and a program that has been accepted and lauded no like there's tomorrow? It's hard to churn out good programs consistently.

W&P are going to have play catch up again. I still think they will become World Champions at some point, having missed 2 opportunities already.

I do agree when someone said C&L are the placeholders. They're not as talented as the others and their programs haven't been the most memorable. W&P had programs that brought the house down.

juliajk

Rinkside
French FD was beautifully choreographed, and looks light and airy, but in turns of skating it's much easier then the Four Seasons program, wich is probably the most intricate dance this year in turms of theqnice. PC's Free dance has a lots of open holds, two foot skating, and much more crossovers, and it wasn't executed well at the worlds. Several times they were out of synchronization on several elements, including twizzels, and there was some stumbles. all those are visible, but the judges preferred to ignore all the mistakes, and gave them clean VM/DW kind of score. Accept the facts, WP were the best that day in terms of skating, even though they were a little slower than usual, and the judges choose them not to win, and we got a pair of "chosen ones" who received a clear message from the judges, that they don't even need to skate clean to get monstrous scores. If that's doesn't screams politics, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

BlackPack

Medalist
French FD was beautifully choreographed, and looks light and airy, but in turns of skating it's much easier then the Four Seasons program, wich is probably the most intricate dance this year in turns of theqnice. PC's Free dance has a lots of open holds, two foot skating, and much more crossovers, and it wasn't executed well at the worlds. Several times they were out of synchronization on several elements, including twizzels, and there was some stumbles. all those are visible, but the judges preferred to ignore all the mistakes, and gave them clean VM/DW kind of score. Accept the facts, WP were the best that day in terms of skating, even though the were a little slower than usual, and the judges choose them not to win, and we got a pair of "chosen ones" who received a clear message from the judges, that they don't even need to skate clean to get monstrous scores. If that's doesn't screams politics, I don't know what is.

I definitely agree. :thumbsup:

The case for P&C can still be made, but I don't think their FD should have gotten a 112. I'd say the actual performance should have gotten scores close to W&P and C&B. One of the most beautiful programs skating - absolutely, but W&P were no slouches either.

I wish it's not political but it is. Somehow the tide favored heavily towards P&C after the GPF.

Last edited: