What skates? | Golden Skate

What skates?

sorsa0

Spectator
Country
Finland
Hii, I’m a 12 (almost 13) years old. I have been skating for 6 months 1 time a week. I have been doing waltz jumps, and some simple spins. I have no idea what skates should I get. Could someone please help me? I now have the risport venus skates, but they are a bit too small and I would like to have black skates.
Sorry my english is really really bad ):

Last edited:

Sibelius

On the Ice
I'm not sure what your first language is, but your English is certainly better than what I'd be able to accomplish in your native tongue.

Now, as far as skates. The first thing to find out is where to go and get properly fitted. You are at a rink at least once a week to skate. There are presumably coaches (teachers, instructors) and more experienced skaters who would be more than willing to tell you where they get fitted for their boots and blades. It is the most important aspect of buying skates at any level.

As far as specific skates, that would be up to the fitter. I don't know where you are, but some brands are more available in other parts of the world than where I am (U.S.). You are in a Risport now, it's a fine brand and if it's the right fit they make another model up from your current one (Electra) that is available in black. Other well respected brands are Riedell, Jackson, Edea, Graf...each one fits a different foot. My skater, who is the same age as you, just turned 13, has been in Jackson boots since she was 7. She's going into her 9th pair and we keep her in those because they are the right fit.

Also, be aware that the blade is an important part of the "package" and some manufacturers bundle a good basic boot and blade together. At your level it is the most economical (cheapest) way to go. I don't think that Risport I mentioned above is one that comes with a blade, so that would be a separate cost. And again, at your level the blade need not be terribly expensive. Wilson, MK, Eclipse, Ultima all make blades that start about $100 - $150 and go up to > $800, so quite a range. Separate boots and blades can get expensive really fast, so I'd recommend the "kit" option until you are a bit further along with your skills.

Summing up, first find a good shop that fits figure skaters, not hockey players. Listen to their recommendations and choose the skate that you are most comfortable in. When mine was at your skill level she was fitted into a Jackson Artiste boot with an Ultima MK IV blade. The cost was < $200 and she skated in those until she landed her Lutz jump, so quite a while.

Best of luck in finding your skate.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm happy to see that others are giving the advice that I usually give. Saves me some typing lol!

Sibelius

On the Ice
I'm happy to see that others are giving the advice that I usually give. Saves me some typing lol!
The least we can do to save your fingers. Now, if only the advice would be heeded.

Hope all is well. Into the Summer swing, ice is back to crowded. Waiting on those Jackson customs...praying a lot that they fit well.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Risport Electra are available as a set with ready mounted blades. :)
Wherever I see the Electra advertised with a blade it looks to be an MK Galaxy. I'm sure it's a nice basic blade as I wouldn't expect anything less from MK. Hope the OP returns soon!