Who is watching on NBC?! | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Who is watching on NBC?!

Matilda

Medalist
I guess we'll have to write NBC!

Still, I really don't understand why NBC didn't show the Shibs - they have sometimes shown C/B on previous broadcasts if they won gold. They could've skipped Zijun Li's performance in the ladies to make time for it (no offense to Zijun, I like her skating but her FS was unremarkable).

As for Johnny's comments, I don't mind a little snark but I felt his comments about Jason and Mirai weren't even snarky, just petty. I actually am starting to enjoy Tara's commentary more - she seems more fair and insightful.

I believe the broadcast was actually taped before the FD, since Johnny posted pictures from the studio already on Saturday morning--and obviously neither he, nor Tara or Terry have much say as to when they can tape it. From what I've understood, they have often taped the broadcast in the middle of the night.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, that makes sense. I did see Johnny posting pictures of his outfit (and wig) on Instagram but IIRC he was in Stamford, CT. So I assume that their studios are in Stamford, not NYC?

The scheduling of ice dance was really odd with NHK this year, does anyone know if it's been like that in previous years?

ETA: yes, they have studios in Stamford, according to this article.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... The scheduling of ice dance was really odd with NHK this year, does anyone know if it's been like that in previous years? ...

Last year, Skate America was spread over three days. Two disciplines (Pairs FS + Ladies FS, iirc?) + the gala all on the third day.

And yes, the NHK schedule in the past has been spread over three days.

(Not sure whether other GPs of the past have been spread over three days .... but I seem to vaguely recall that they have been???)

Oreo

On the Ice
Content from either one of them aside, at least Johnny speaks under the music so you can hear it. Tara's voice, I find, overwhelms it.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hope you realize that the focus of sabinfire's post was not Ashley.

Continuing the line of conversation earlier in the thread, sabinfire merely made note of another example of what some felt was a pattern in Johnny's NHK commentary. The example at hand happened to be Johnny's commentary about Ashley.

sabinfire's post did not express any bad will toward Ashley.

Nor did give sabinfire give any opinion on Ashley's scores.

You're right, and I did realize the above. I wasn't targeting sabinfire with all of my remarks; I apologize if it came across that way. I've been appalled by the excessive criticisms of Ashley around here -- she's targeted more than any other particular skater except possibly Chock and Bates -- in this thread and in other threads, discussing US Ladies, and also the threads for NHK and other GP events.

I dislike Johnny's remark. He was snide and sneaky, things I don't want any commentator to be. I feel that their job is to be as supportive of all the skaters as they can be, while balancing their praise and their criticism in as fair a manner as possible. Sabinfire and someone else seemed to be approving of Johnny's remark, saying that JW was in fine form or some such words.

I stand by everything in my post, but I should have made it more clearly general and made it clear that I wasn't speaking of one person. Even the "you" in my post should not have been there, but it was a general, plural "you" and not pointing at any one person.

It does seem clear to me that many posters dislike Ashley because she's a direct threat and competitor to some of their favorites. Remarks are often cloaked in terms of skating skills ... as if saying that the judges who give her high marks are delusional or incompetent.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't blame the commentators for this. It's usually the producers (who may not even be into skating as a sport) who expect the commentators to, you know, commentate during the programs. They cannot leave it all to the replay, especially on NBC, where time is limited to begin with and much of the replay time is consumed by ads. Johnny and Tara did not say a word during the last two minutes of Yuzu's FS though, which was lovely.

Good point. Tara and Johnny's commentary was much better, and less invasive, during the Olympics. But as you say, the network has its own priorities for these events and they seemingly want to get points in about the skater's story and journey.

As for their silence during Yuzu's skate, NBC did the same thing a couple of years ago during one of Jeremy Abbott's skates. I found it, on both occasions, to be even worse. As though they were saying that one skater's performance was worth total silence, while the rest of the pack didn't deserve such respect.

I've noticed that Terry's comments about the skater's life or competitive history are often sandwiched into the quieter parts of the programs; and sometimes Tara overwhelms those portions with her analysis of the competition. That gives casual viewers or the general viewing public the impression that those parts of the program are less important than the jumps. That annoys me; and it also interferes with my enjoyment of those lovely, quiet parts of the skate. I wish I could turn off the commentary without turning off the music! Johnny uses restraint in this regard, and I appreciate it very much.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
"[[Our U.S. Men] are too busy trying to go viral than compete against the world]." -- Johnny. Hm... seriously you had to throw that out? Jason isn't even AT this competition, LOL. Anyway moving on.

Great job Grant! He really did a wonderful job here!

How are the words " US men are too busy trying to go viral" connected with Brown?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who else could he be talking about? He's referring to Jason's "Riverdance" which went viral nearly TWO years ago. And Jason wasn't trying to go viral - he himself expressed surprise that so many people were watching his video on YT.

None of the US men "try to go viral" and all work very hard on their skating.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Who else could he be talking about? He's referring to Jason's "Riverdance" which went viral nearly TWO years ago. And Jason wasn't trying to go viral - he himself expressed surprise that so many people were watching his video on YT.

None of the US men "try to go viral" and all work very hard on their skating.

Sorry, my English is lacking and I still do not understand... Did not succeed in translating the word viral

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
How are the words " US men are too busy trying to go viral" connected with Brown?

Because, Jason is the only one that DID go viral. In essence, Jason has that 4M Riverdance video to thank for his visibility in the sport and in the general public.

In any case, that comment is just a head scratcher for me. Even if Johnny wasn't aiming at Jason directly and speaking to the U.S. men in general, it still doesn't make sense. I mean is he complaining that the U.S. men are too active on social media? I don't even know what examples are out there to prove that the men are too busy going viral or giving up practices because of fame and fortune.

ETA: No worries about the English translation stuff, Jaana. I always found the word "viral" sort of strange, even as an English speaker.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Because, Jason is the only one that DID go viral. In essence, Jason has that 4M Riverdance video to thank for his visibility in the sport and in the general public.

In any case, that comment is just a head scratcher for me. Even if Johnny wasn't aiming at Jason directly and speaking to the U.S. men in general, it still doesn't make sense. I mean is he complaining that the U.S. men are too active on social media? I don't even know what examples are out there to prove that the men are too busy going viral or giving up practices because of fame and fortune.

ETA: No worries about the English translation stuff, Jaana. I always found the word "viral" sort of strange, even as an English speaker.

Thanks!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In any case, that comment is just a head scratcher for me.

Whenever Johnny throws shade at the US men for something irrational - I chalk it up to jealousy. He's probably upset that none of his skates had that many views!

ETA: My apologies to Jaana - didn't mean to come off harsh towards you. Didn't realize the language barrier. I sometimes forget we don't have native speakers on this site.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

How is it not?

The only other US skater to have a viral video is Starr Andrews... and she is a female.

If you can find any evidence of any other guys either having viral luck or *trying* to go viral, please by all means bring them up as that sounds like an interesting discussion.

The only way i could see this *not* being about Jason would be if there were fail attempt behind the scenes that the general fans don't know about. Which would make it unprofessional and just stupid. Know your audience... if your audience only knows about Jason... don't make references to secrets they don't know about. Johnny is not that dumb... he knew full well his audience was going to conclude he was talking about Jason. Frankly i wish he would have just named Jason than taken the cowardly approach.

Really this comment was especially tacky given that Jason is absent from this very event due to injury sustained from trying to get these bloody jumps down. It comes very close to implying that Jason is not really injured which i think is a really bad faux pas for someone like Johnny. If Johnny thinks Jason is faking he should have balls to just say it!

Part of figure skating being a sport is striving for a health. If a skater is injured they should be encouraged to get healthy. Snarking that someone who is injured is not working hard enough it hardly encouraging good health! It would not have been as bad had he not been injured or at a different event. But during an event he had to withdraw from due to trying too hard to be competitive is a massive slap in the face - and i don't think Johnny is dumb enough for it to have been an innocent accident.

Frankly i find the idea of implying someone injured is not working hard enough is dangerous. Rather than sending the message to young aspiring skaters that they should take care of their health, Johnny is showing that if you take time off to heal you get scoffed at and insulted and it is assumed you are not working hard enough. I am sure many young skaters with an ache or a pain are much more likely to say something now knowing how people like Johnny will talk bout injured skaters. To be blunt, yes I think Johnny's behavior could lead to young skaters trying to skate through the pain and try to hid injuries.

EDIT: i just saw your viral translation post. I guess i did not take your question literal enough. Suffice it to say "going viral" is what we have been told Riverdance did at almost every appearance Jason has had since. The word "viral" is as associated with Jason specifically as Riverdance is.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Interesting tweet from Johnny, speaking of which:

Johnny WeirVerified account
‏@JohnnyGWeir
Sports commentary is a critical job. Figure skating should be treated no differently than football or hockey. Real critiques > Fluff.

https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/671176897414496256?lang=en

Someone should tell him shade is basically the same as fluff.

Snide comments about viral videos are not real critiques. And I suspect even many of Jason biggest unfans would acknowledge that he is a hard working skater who trains hard and trains well. I don't think i have ever even seen a troll call Jason a slacker or imply he is not working hard because it is just so far off the mark. If Johnny thinks Jason needs to make changes to his training, he needs to be specific for it to be a real critique.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Content from either one of them aside, at least Johnny speaks under the music so you can hear it. Tara's voice, I find, overwhelms it.

They talked all the way through Yuzuru's beautiful steps in the first half of his long program--so annoying! I much preferred Terry and Tracy Wilson's commentary at an earlier event to Tara and Johnny. Johnny is overly critical and Tara's comments add nothing--what was that thing about the boxer? Bizarre.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting tweet from Johnny, speaking of which:

Johnny WeirVerified account
‏@JohnnyGWeir
Sports commentary is a critical job. Figure skating should be treated no differently than football or hockey. Real critiques > Fluff.

But he doesn't give "real critiques." He threw shade on Grant Hochstein's nearly clean performance during his skate and afterwards, said it was good. What are we to make of that? Why did he need to say anything during Hanyu's performance? Everyone could see it was good. Does Johnny's opinion (distracting the viewer from what is happening) make it better? He assumes that Lori Nichol didn't spend much time with Lijun Zi. Does he know that? Isn't is enough to say, as they both did, correctly, that her skating needs more energy. The choreo was fine, in my opinion. It was the execution that was lacking.

Last edited:

Matilda

Medalist
But he doesn't give "real critiques." He threw shade on Grant Hochstein's nearly clean performance during his skate and afterwards, said it was good. What are we to make of that? Why did he need to say anything during Hanyu's performance? Everyone could see it was good. Does Johnny's opinion (distracting the viewer from what is happening) make it better? He assumes that Lori Nichol didn't spend much time with Lijun Zi. Does he know that? Isn't is enough to say, as they both did, correctly, that her skating needs more energy. The choreo was fine, in my opinion. It was the execution that was lacking.

NBC expects them to commentate (see my earlier post above). Johnny doesn't just give his opinion, but often analyzes why a jump was not successful, or why somebody's jumps are technically excellent, or points out that someone looks slow in this particular skate, or what improvements a skaters has made by comparison to a previous competition or the previous season.

As far as the comment re Lori Nicholl and Li is concerned, Johnny knows quite a bit about how certain choreographers work with specific skaters, because he knows these skaters (and many choreographers, too) personally. He has earlier made references to what Yuzu and Javi, for example, have told him about their programs. Johnny skated in the same show (Artistry on Ice) with Li and many other Chinese skaters this summer, so they have likely talked about the process. I don't know how long Lori had to work with each of the Chinese skaters for whom she choreographed last summer, but it wouldn't surprise me if Johnny does. Also, skaters sometimes go back to a choreographer to refine parts and/or to work on expression once they are comfortable with the routine (like Ashley did with Shae Lynn before the GP series started). That's difficult to do when the skaters are in China and the choreographer in North America.

OT, but I really wish the Chinese feds would work with other choreographers than Lori, too--she is not the best for every skater (Han Yan is a case in point).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
NBC expects them to commentate (see my earlier post above). Johnny doesn't just give his opinion, but often analyzes why a jump was not successful, or why somebody's jumps are technically excellent, or points out that someone looks slow in this particular skate, or what improvements a skaters has made by comparison to a previous competition or the previous season.

As far as the comment re Lori Nicholl and Li is concerned, Johnny knows quite a bit about how certain choreographers work with specific skaters, because he knows these skaters (and many choreographers, too) personally. He has earlier made references to what Yuzu and Javi, for example, have told him about their programs. Johnny skated in the same show (Artistry on Ice) with Li and many other Chinese skaters this summer, so they have likely talked about the process. I don't know how long Lori had to work with each of the Chinese skaters for whom she choreographed last summer, but it wouldn't surprise me if Johnny does. Also, skaters sometimes go back to a choreographer to refine parts and/or to work on expression once they are comfortable with the routine (like Ashley did with Shae Lynn before the GP series started). That's difficult to do when the skaters are in China and the choreographer in North America.

OT, but I really wish the Chinese feds would work with other choreographers than Lori, too--she is not the best for every skater (Han Yan is a case in point).

I actually had no problem with the Lori Nichol comment, TBH. I thought it make sense to me. Lori does have a lot of clients and she doesn't give her best work to everyone and not everyone meshes up well with her style. I feel with Xijun, it's a lot of pretty skating but not a lot of power. I think she would benefit from a new choreographer.

Also, let's not throw the baby with the bathwater. I think it's also untrue to say that Johnny doesn't give ANY "real critiques." He does do a good job explaining why a jump goes wrong, as he explained with Menshov's jumps yesterday or with some of the other ladies.

But other times, I feel like he sort of asserts things without a lot of factual backing. Like going on about how Takahito Mura needed to get outside choreographic advice, and then being reminded that Charlie White choreographed his SP. I can see the case of saying Mura needs perhaps a coach other than dad. Maybe that's what he meant, but it came out the other way.

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
...Really this comment was especially tacky given that Jason is absent from this very event due to injury sustained from trying to get these bloody jumps down. It comes very close to implying that Jason is not really injured which i think is a really bad faux pas for someone like Johnny. If Johnny thinks Jason is faking he should have balls to just say it!...

A million times this :thumbsup: