Who should consider changing coaches and/or choreographers? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who should consider changing coaches and/or choreographers?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think the Shibs should stay with Marina (because of Scali, who is definitely working for them), but they need to work with some other choreographers to find the right free dance. Everyone loves their ex, so maybe they should turn it into a competitive program or try for something a lot like that. Their waltz FD this season may not have been a winner, but hopefully it will set them up well for the waltz SD?

They'd have to rechoreograph it substantially because there are wayyyyyyyyy too many small lifts in the program to meet the rules. But it could be done.

Arty and classy. I think Charlie White should pick music for them--he's got a good ear for what works--and let Scali choreograph it. Something modern classical (think John Adams or Philip Glass; maybe even something from Laurie Anderson's United States show).

Last edited:

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I don't know if the Shibs need a new coach. They are "boxed in" by limited choices of material because judges/coaches think they should be because they are siblings. We need to separate Mia/Alex the skating team from Mia/Alex the siblings. If Marina can't do that, it might be time for a change. If she can, they can stay with her.

AnaBM

Rinkside
Well I'm all in in changing V/T, S/K and pretty much all Morozov's pairs from choreographer :slink: anyone could be more interesting.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Really? I think his SP could top in the criteria titled the most terrible work among all top-level men's SP progroms ; especially how ridiculous it looks with the the arm movements in the opening. His FS program doesn't help him either. In the FS with the badly chopped music editing, all he could do is to JUMP! That's why he couldn't earn higher transitions and choreography marks. The two musics do not work for high-level competitors like Voronov. He has a character and personality, so I hope he find a better choreographer for him ASAP, perhaps among American or Canadian choreographers.

I think that Voronov had really good programs for him this season. The problems is that the only competition he was really performing was GPF and maybe Rostelecom Cup. He really enjoyed skating there, but at the other competitions, especially at the Europeans and Worlds it was absolutely without energy, no performance and interpretation, he was too concentrated...

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Cappellini/Lanotte and the Shibutanis. All I am seeing this season is programs designed respectively for Virtue/Moir and for Davis/White. I don't recognize these two couples at all. No airy fledermaus-like waltzes for the Shibs please, no V/M-like we're-so-in-love slow galas for C/L, no Zoueva. I feel like she isn't choosing music for their styles, but using whatever unused leftovers her former two star teams left her, and trying to change C/L and the Shibs to fit that music. It didn't work for me at all.
Anna Pogorilaya; her coach's on-screen behavior to Anna gives me the creeps.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Gracie can still do well in the LP (the best of her this season) means she can do well even with Frank. I love her softness on the ice, it surely confirms it's her mind that the problem, not the coach.
Maybe Frank should hire a sport psychologist for Gracie.
You don't think she already has one? She does but it's still not working for her.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Gabrielle Daleman: I appreciate that Lori Nichol has helped her on extension, holding onto her movements, ect. to some degree, but I wish she'd just been dance instructor instead of outright choreographer. Those programs just don't suit Gabby. :bang: She just isn't that pretty princess type. It's even worse than the Gracie situation. I think she's gotten what she needs from Lori, and should try another choreographer who will give her more powerful vehicles.

I'd keep Liza as far away from Tarasova as possible. Not that I need to be worried, since Mishin won't allow it. Didn't TAT do Artur's programs this year? They've been... disappointing... (that's the politest word I can think of). She's done good work in the past but I'm not sure I'd trust her these days.

I wouldn't say no to Jeffrey Buttle, however. I loved Malaguena. Too bad it's a program that only works when the tech content comes together, and it didn't come together last year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Didn't TAT do Artur's programs this year? They've been... disappointing... (that's the politest word I can think of). She's done good work in the past but I'm not sure I'd trust her these days.

Since she's now his coach, I imagine she did. But they were also working on other aspects of his skating. And I kinda liked the SP.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Since she's now his coach, I imagine she did. But they were also working on other aspects of his skating. And I kinda liked the SP.
I liked it the very first time at the ice show, but every performance since, it just didn't work. Perhaps it's a program that only works when everything hits--because when they don't, you just wind up looking frustrated/don't-want-to-be-there. Imo, TAT should've given him a program that works even when the jumps don't. Unless they expected him to suddenly nail clean program after clean program, which is unrealistic.

Honestly, as much flak as Mishin gets, I think Artur's programs back when he was medalling (2011 and 2012) were much better than his current ones. And he looked much happier skating them. :cry:

(Btw, who's doing Kovtun's programs? If it's TAT too, then :hopelessness:)

peg

Medalist
Gabrielle Daleman: I appreciate that Lori Nichol has helped her on extension, holding onto her movements, ect. to some degree, but I wish she'd just been dance instructor instead of outright choreographer. Those programs just don't suit Gabby. :bang: She just isn't that pretty princess type. It's even worse than the Gracie situation. I think she's gotten what she needs from Lori, and should try another choreographer who will give her more powerful vehicles.

I completely agree. She needs choreo that showcases her power and athleticism

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Maxim Kovtun. He needs something not so serious as his programs this season. Bolero did not suit him at all. No respect for music. He needs something like his gala program. Not exactly but in that style. Maybe he would not be just so concentrated and he could also perform and have fun(for example step sequence).