Who should consider changing coaches and/or choreographers? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who should consider changing coaches and/or choreographers?

BlackPack

Medalist
I don't agree with this at all. You do realize he was injured at Worlds? He was having an excellent season until then. As for "limited skater" - in what way?

For years, his potential was much talked about but never fully realized in a major event? Was he injured at every Worlds he's been to? Is it time people just let him be and stop expecting so much from him?

peg

Medalist
Nam
Nam needs to get a new choreographer or polish up more. His junior-ish packaging is detracting him from his potential.

Nam is 16 years old. I think we will see a more mature package next year. He grew up a lot this year.

I don't think the problem is Nam's choreographers. His SP was choreographed by Jeff Buttle, and his FS by David Wilson. I definitely wouldn't ditch Jeff!

But they were also programs created for a fun-loving somewhat goofy 16-year-old in his first year as a senior. I suspect they may have stuck with a style he was comfortable with to ease the transition while he worked on adding difficulty and speed. Now that Nam has shown he seriously belongs on the senior world stage, I suspect they will give him more mature programs that stretch him a little bit artistically.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
All elite skaters should immigrate to The Republic Of Brian Orser.

OK, just kidding. I can't advice anybody on which coach is best for them. Only they know if the fit is right or not and they need the courage to switch when they know it does not work.

Meoima

Match Penalty
One team that comes to my mind when I see "coach change": THE SHIBS!!!
PLEASE, runaway from Zueava asap!!

peg

Medalist
I don't seem to have a lot of company on this, but I think Pogo's style and artistry have improved. Last year I found her almost unwatchable because of her frantic, flailing movements. This year, except for the overwrought vocals in her SP, I enjoyed Anna's skating. Someone must be helping her. I'm not sure if Pogo's coach is the dragonlady some think her to be, or if she's being misjudged because of her demeanor and RBF.
I definitely agree that she has been improving in that regard, not only since last year, but also since the beginning of this season. Aside from the jump issues, I actually enjoyed her at Worlds this year, and that's probably the first time I enjoyed her.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Gracie's dance has improved from before, better arms, her musicality is not the best, but she does listen to music (not skate through music kind), also her music interpretation has also improved, showed better phrasing and variety.Her current programs are intricate COP programs.Will score big, if she cleans. The problem is the music, perhaps, the best change for her is not choreographer nor coach, but change her music to really "pretty" music or rhythmic music or audience friendly music, this will help.
Technically, I wish she can get down on her knees, this will probably help her in jump height, smoother landings, skating skills, and consistency.
SoYoun, last season, already had beautiful programs and good artistry.She is not consistent, but cleaned long at Worlds, so that people had the impression she is a consistent skater. This season, she nearly made mistake in all her tec element, different one in different competition. David Wilson's choreo is to make her more senior in an traditional way, that is interpret more difficult music(not just package such as dresses, or music choice, but really intepret music in an intelectual mature/deeper level). I think her problem is technical. she has great jump technique, jumps with high speed and power, which needs absolute precision (similar to Han Yan), her spins are not consistent as well. perhaps mental too, this needs to be addressed first.

EDIT: SoYoun also filled up this season, perhaps some puberty issue as well, but I think Gracie and her will both be fine next season.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, Gracie can still do well in the LP (the best of her this season) means she can do well even with Frank. I love her softness on the ice, it surely confirms it's her mind that the problem, not the coach.
Maybe Frank should hire a sport psychologist for Gracie.

peg

Medalist
Well, Gracie can still do well in the LP (the best of her this season) means she can do well even with Frank. I love her softness on the ice, it surely confirms it's her mind that the problem, not the coach.
Maybe Frank should hire a sport psychologist for Gracie.

I think a sports psychologist would probably be helpful. I also think part of Gracie's problem may be too much adrenaline. Years and years ago, at gymnastics competition, the music for floor routines was played live (and had to be piano). I remember reading a quite from a pianist saying that it was always an advantage for gymnast if the competition pianist was the one they trained with, because in competition, they actually tended to be a bit faster due to adrenaline, and if it was a gymnast he knew, he could match the tempo more easily.

I think part of the problem for Gracie, especially the problems she has getting too close to the boards, is that competing gives her more power, and she's not fully able to control that.

caitie

Medalist
I remember Dave and Jenny from TSL saying something about how Gracie's old coach "ruined her" wrt her mental game. I don't know the details about that, but could it be part of the issue?

I think Gracie's packaging needs to be tweaked. I get that the ice princess, blonde hair, red lip, Grace Kelly thing is what she wants to do, but I think it needs to be tweaked so that it's less Princess Grace and more Grace Kelly from To Catch A Thief. They should try and capture the vibe she had in her Roxie Hart Chicago exhibition. That way she can maintain the Gracie Gold package (which I think works for her off the ice especially) while developing an actual on-ice personality that seems more genuine and is less boring, and I hope it will help her inhabit her programs a little better. Even when she skated her LP relatively clean, she still seemed pretty disinterested/divorced from it, musically and character-wise, IMHO. She just skated through that POTO one with a pageant smile, lyrics about a daughter missing her dead father be damned.

I think the Shibs should stay with Marina (because of Scali, who is definitely working for them), but they need to work with some other choreographers to find the right free dance. Everyone loves their ex, so maybe they should turn it into a competitive program or try for something a lot like that. Their waltz FD this season may not have been a winner, but hopefully it will set them up well for the waltz SD?

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina needs to get away from Mom (if she can) and switch to a more objective coach. Then she needs a style makeover, although I think just getting away from Mom might help that right away.

Given those changes, she'd be that much closer to the podium.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Surprised no one has said "Everyone should change to Rohene Ward"

But really, I think at least one pairs and one dance should switch to his choreography because, i want to see that!

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
But I am not sure that Mishin and Tarasova are going to be the best of partners. You think Papa Mishin will allow Tuks to head to Tsarina Tatiana's way and get all fur coat and feathers?
:biggrin: Maybe that's why he's wearing the same shirt and suit all season. He's superstitious and preparing for a vodoo attack!
I wasn't a big fan of the bolero program this season, but I liked the changed version at worlds and I liked her long program all season. I don't see a problem with her choreography at all (somebody mentioned earlier that she always scored very high on choreo).
I think she's found a competition style that suits he well. And it's very enjoyable to watch.

BlackPack

Medalist
Actually, the Shibs have been featured on so many "change coach" threads it's sad. This has been discussed for at least a couple of years. Surely, they know something is wrong and need a major change.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Surprised no one has said "Everyone should change to Rohene Ward"

But really, I think at least one pairs and one dance should switch to his choreography because, i want to see that!

Max gave Rohene a big hug at Nationals... :p

(we need a "shifty" smiley)

figuristka

Medalist
First lady that comes to mind is Polina Edmunds. Music was almost like background music , she is whimsical and see why they thought tinkerbell but probably Debussy prelude to a faun would have been a more mature piece for her free. Would be nice to see her take more command later. Lori Nichol or Jeffrey Buttle would be good for her.