Who will have a breakthrough season? | Golden Skate

Who will have a breakthrough season?

The Finn

Record Breaker
About half of all the JGP finalist of last season have moved to seniors which means there will be a lot of room on the top. Who do you think will have a breakthrough JGP season this year?

tars

Record Breaker
If Anna Shcherbakova manages to land a quad, it will be an earthquake rather than breakthrough. ;)

The Finn

Record Breaker
If Anna Shcherbakova manages to land a quad, it will be an earthquake rather than breakthrough. ;)

Yep, but she might not be the only one with a quad. It will be extremely interesting to see how Anna and Sasha will do this season.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Polishchuck/Vakhnov :love:

I also fully expect that they will have their breakthrough season. Four teams who made it to the JGP final last season have moved to seniors, so, there is a lot of room on the top and I fully expect that they will become one of the very top teams this season.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Some more skaters who I expect to do really well this season.

Tarakanova and Panenkova.
Erokhov
Kvartalova/Sviatchenko and Zhuk/Britkov. Hopefully Mishina/Gallyamov and Kudryavtseva/Simenenko also.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Greens, what with the Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter and AFAIR, Loboda/Drozd, too, in seniors.

chameleon

On the Ice
The Greens, what with the Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter and AFAIR, Loboda/Drozd, too, in seniors.

Of the top ten dance teams, only Carreira/Ponomarenko, Shpilevaya/Smirnov, Skoptcova/Aleshin, and Lajoie/Lagha are still age eligible this season.

I also think the Greens can have a breakout season now that there's more room on the national podium. I also hope Lewis/Bye can get things together and breakthrough.

I also hope Torgashev can rebound from his disappointment at Jr Worlds, especially with so many of the top guys going senior.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I also hope Lewis/Bye can get things together and breakthrough.

They had a good debut at the Chesapeake Open, winning the short above the Greens and second in the free with a higher base value that Carreira & Ponomarenko. Just a start, but a better one than last season.

I am curious about the men's field in particular. With Samarin, Aliev, Cha, Zhou, & Aymoz all moving up to the senior GP, it feels like a clearing of the decks, at least for the JGP. The top seven men from Junior Worlds will all be on the senior GP.

voolfee

On the Ice
In ladies it will be battle between Shcherbakova and Trusova. Kihira, Gubanova and Eunsoo Lim also have a chances. In men Krasnozhon, Torgashev, Sadovsky and may be one of the Japanese boys will try to compete with Russian boys. In pairs it will be tons of new good Russian pairs with Boikova/Kozlovsky and Atakhanova/Spiridonov at the head. In dance Carreira/Ponomarenko will be the leader and after them Shpilevaya/Smirnov, Polishchuk/Vakhnov, Skoptsova/Aleshin and Lajoie/Lagha.

mariap

Rinkside
As a Finn, i really hope Emmi Peltonen would have a breakthrough season! She already has the skating skills and the charisma and now she just have to gain the confidence to get the jumps clean :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm not quite sure which Russian boys will get spots, but I would say Alexei Erokhov and Makar Ignatov have good chances. Other possibilities - Conrad Orzel, Matyas Belohradsky, Koshiro Shimada...maybe. Torgashev & Krasnozhon should do well.

Roman Sadovsky is still staying in juniors? It feels like he's been there forever. 4 seasons wasn't enough?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Shcherbakova will make her name as the biggest female talent in history and is going to revolutionize female figure skating as we know it forever.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
This is random, but how likely is Artem Kovalev to get a JGP slot? I remember liking him last season...

Quite possible, but there are several other boys who will be up for consideration who weren't on the JGP last season, some with quads, so I wouldn't say it's a given. He was only 12th at Junior Nats and he didn't earn any JGP medals last season, so he will have to really prove himself at the test skates.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Quite possible, but there are several other boys who will be up for consideration who weren't on the JGP last season, some with quads, so I wouldn't say it's a given. He was only 12th at Junior Nats and he didn't earn any JGP medals last season, so he will have to really prove himself at the test skates.

I think he needs to do really well at the test skate event if he wants to get a JGP spot because based on last season's results he would be one of the substitutes only. He was 12th at he junior nationals, 8th at the Cup Final and 4th at the Russian Nationals Elder Age. Most of his main competitors, like Rukhin and Semenenko, did better at the main competitions.

The way I see it is that Erokhov, Efimchuk, Ignatov and Frolov would be the first four to get their JGP event(s). The next group would most likely have Savosin, Semenenko, Rukhin, Skirda and Gumennik. And after them there would be the likes of Kovalev, Vetlugin and Murashov.