Why are edge jumps worth less? | Golden Skate

Why are edge jumps worth less?

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Does anyone fear edge jumps like I do? I am comfortable with my toe jumps but have a major fear of the salchow and loop. Anyone prefer toe jumps over edge jumps? And why did ISU decide toe jumps should be worth more?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Salchow is worth a little more than toe loop, at least at higher rotations, but not by much. They're pretty similar in value.

Flip is similar to loop -- some skaters prefer one, others the other. I guess the general consensus is that for most people flip is a little harder

Lutz is definitely harder than the above, and axel (an edge jump) is harder than all of the above.

Personally I always preferred edge jumps to toe jumps myself (singles and very beginning attempts at doubles), but that depends on the individual.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I love my edge jumps. The sal and loop have always been two of my favourites. I hate the toeloop. I've never been able to land a 2T properly, but the sal and the loop were easy.

Scout

Final Flight
I'm also an edge jumper. I sometimes find this frustrating, as being good at the toe would make combos so much easier!

As I understand it, the trade-off is this. With a toe-pick assisted jump you get -- well, the assistance of the pick in launching into the air. The drawback is tyhat this requires extra co-ordination and timing. The pick has to be well-synchronized with the other movements, including the upper body.

Is this right? (Non-skater)

PS. I always found it interesting that the first triple jump (Dick Button, 1952) was a loop and not one of the "easier" jumps, the toe-loop or the Salchow.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Does anyone fear edge jumps like I do? I am comfortable with my toe jumps but have a major fear of the salchow and loop. Anyone prefer toe jumps over edge jumps? And why did ISU decide toe jumps should be worth more?

:noshake: I am an edge jumper through and through. I hate toe jumps.:laugh:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
My jumps were all horrendous except for my flip, where I'd get height and distance. I couldn't for the life of me figure out the timing on the loop. Even for a single. eek!

Alchamei

Record Breaker
For me, personally, I always found axel easier than lutz.

Do you mean the same number rotations (single Lutz against single Axel)? I think the issue witht the Axels is that you can't compare them completely with the jumps with the same number of rotations, etc. a double Axel is easier than most triples but a triple one is much much harder, and a triple Axel is on par difficulty wise with some quads but a quad Axel is completely impossible.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I love my edge jumps. The sal and loop have always been two of my favourites. I hate the toeloop. I've never been able to land a 2T properly, but the sal and the loop were easy.
There was one top female skater who would 3 toe loop at all costs and not quite having it while executing clean as a whistle triple lutz? Wasn't it Yuka Sato?

charlotte14

Medalist
With Axel getting the highest BV I wonder why people think Edge jump worths less. Apparently Axel is not an edge jump?

skatenewbie

Medalist
With Axel getting the highest BV I wonder why people think Edge jump worths less. Apparently Axel is not an edge jump?
well axel is special case where it get extra half rotation so it would get higher point of course... OP mean the same rotational jump like 3S/Lo and 3T/F/Lz...

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I think it's more the entry and landing edges and number of rotations than edge vs. toe that gives the value.

Toe loop and Salchow both land on the opposite foot that they take off from, which is easier.

Loops take off from and land on the same edge, which is easier than the higher jumps because there's no edge change, but harder than the lower ones because there's no foot change.

Flips stay along the same overall curve, but they switch feet, then land on the same foot as the toe pick that they take off from, so there's an extra step compared to the loop.

Lutzes rotate counter to the easier direction and thus require more effort and coordination.

And Axels are 1 1/2 rotations.

That being said, I very much prefer toe jumps as well. They just feel steadier, but that might change once I get better skates.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Salchow's and Loops were the easiest for me to learn, then the Flip. I always like the feeling of how i entered those jumps...felt more natural.

Globetrotter

Medalist
It probably varies among individuals. For myself, it was dependent on the take off edges. I could deal with singles and doubles of all jumps with loop being easiest for me and have even hit the single axel but failed miserably on the flip. Never once landed a single flip without stepping out or going splat. Never progressed beyond the single Salchow too. So I think it’s because I fear taking off an inside edge while it felt far more stable on a double Lutz despite having to deal with counter rotation.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There was one top female skater who would 3 toe loop at all costs and not quite having it while executing clean as a whistle triple lutz? Wasn't it Yuka Sato?

Not a top skater but Kay Thomson was far better at the lutz than the "garbage" triples - toe loop or salchow.