Women Skating Stars | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Women Skating Stars

Alba

Record Breaker
It kind of astounds me that so many skating fans think all these lines are only said by skaters. Do you people never, ever, ever watch another sport? And have none of you seen Bull Durham? This is the stuff sports interviews have been made of since the beginning of athletes being interviewed. Here is the classic scene from a movie that has nothing to do with figure skating or female athletes (language warning):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeVca9MwDX8

:yes:

This is the intro to Inter vs Barcellona, CL semi-finals match in 2010, on SKY Ita tv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vriCcWUaeLM

It's called "Clash of the Titans". :slink: It looks like "This is Sparta" :laugh:

nguyenghita

On the Ice
I have a question. If Plushenko is so cocky, diva, arrogante etc...why he is the most popular skater in the world??? :yes: For example he beat Yuna in the Icenetwork voting contest.
Most famous? Oh please, Kwan, Yuna, Mao, Yagudin all have some words to say about that :laugh:

If we based on that voting contest, so why not also go to Youtube to count some view in there? What world class skater had the most viewed clip? Most like/dislike?

That contest result is a huge question though, why his vote suddenly raised with F1 speed just by the last day, when Yuna's fans didn't pay enough attention at the last minute because she leading all the time?

So no, that result show one thing: Plushenko doesn't have that many supporters, but Yuna have some haters :sarcasm:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I recommend this Twitter account for everybody: https://twitter.com/DailySportPosts

In my mind, I'm always the best. If I walk out on the court & I think the next person is better, I've already lost. -Venus Williams

A champion is someone who gets up when he can't. -Jack Dempsey (boxer)

Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming. -John Wooden

Your biggest opponent is the one in the mirror.

Respect all... Fear none.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I wonder if figure skating were considered more of a "macho" sport if guys like Evgeny and Patrick would get a pass on their comments. Certainly I've heard far worse from basketball, football, baseball players and boxers. I rather enjoy the fighting words sometimes because it adds another dimension to these events, much like Tonya vs Nancy.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I wonder if figure skating were considered more of a "macho" sport if guys like Evgeny and Patrick would get a pass on their comments. Certainly I've heard far worse from basketball, football, baseball players and boxers. I rather enjoy the fighting words sometimes because it adds another dimension to these events, much like Tonya vs Nancy.
Well, with football, baseball, volley ball or martial arts, at least they play against others. With skating, skaters play against themselves. It's kind of different. :laugh: you can say "My triple loop is better than that girl!" But the audience and the judges would see you as a fool because they see the other girl as the better. It's subjective.
With head-to-head sport, you can prove that, "We are better than team B because we scored more goals." It's objective, so even you played badly, you have more goals you are still the winner.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
^Tosca was from the 2003-04 season.

Poor Sasha! :laugh: Maybe evil death-glare Michelle is the cause of all her breakdowns!

That thought did cross my mind. Dang, that look on Michelle's face could have stopped a truck (as in: "I double-dog DARE you to take away my title!"). Talk about iron hands and velvet gloves!

Sad that Sasha never really showed her full potential, at least not consistently. I think she had real star power somewhere inside of her but we only got to see bits and pieces of it. :cry:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Most famous? Oh please, Kwan, Yuna, Mao, Yagudin all have some words to say about that :laugh:

If we based on that voting contest, so why not also go to Youtube to count some view in there? What world class skater had the most viewed clip? Most like/dislike?

That contest result is a huge question though, why his vote suddenly raised with F1 speed just by the last day, when Yuna's fans didn't pay enough attention at the last minute because she leading all the time?

So no, that result show one thing: Plushenko doesn't have that many supporters, but Yuna have some haters :sarcasm:
This post feels a bit like, "I can't believe someone I dislike has fans!"

Alba

Record Breaker
I like all type of skaters. "Arrogant", "cocky", "diva-ish", classy, quite, fiercy, fragile, emotional, humble & sweet ( the last two a bit less, unless I think its really genuine).

One of my fav. skaters was (still is) Oksana (Pasha) Grishuk. :rock:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
It kind of astounds me that so many skating fans think all these lines are only said by skaters. Do you people never, ever, ever watch another sport? And have none of you seen Bull Durham? This is the stuff sports interviews have been made of since the beginning of athletes being interviewed. Here is the classic scene from a movie that has nothing to do with figure skating or female athletes (language warning):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeVca9MwDX8

Bull Durham is a classic for sure. The "interview coaching" scene is a hoot, but the line that almost made me my spill my popcorn is from the opening: "I believe in the church of baseball..." :laugh:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
That contest was no fair. ;) I voted for Michelle 20 times a day, but she only got sixth. :laugh:
I'm glad she got into the Top 10 though. A day before the final, her spiral wasn't even there. I guess some good soul did some good work... or my spamming worked.

To be fair, I think there are good reasons why Yuna and Plush fans went crazy over the contest. I suspect what happened to both of them in Sochi probably spurred on some overprotective fans. I don't see why anyone should be surprised about the result. Looked like it was coming a mile away to me.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

No. In the World Plushenko has mora fans than any other skaters. You probably live in North-America if you think Yagudin is more popular and famous than Plushenko. You can easily check it in the Russian and the international media. Follow their Twitter and Facebook pages. This isn't competitive period you can compare their appearance in the media realistically. If anybody thinks Yagudin is more popular and famous that is so uninformed.

And about the voting. Plush has more haters as Yuna's. Plus there were no negative votes... And Plushenko was on the first and the second place in the first round so Yuna did a great finish.:laugh:

Mathman, the contest was fair, I voted 30 times one day.....;)

But I believe Michelle's spiral is really iconic!

What people say about Plushy's being personally generous in his praise of other skaters despite his seeming arrogance reminds me of what I've observed about John McEnroe. On the tennis court, he could be abrasive in the extreme (much more so than Plushenko, in fact--Plushy doesn't cuss at the judges right in the middle of a competition!), but he really loves tennis and respects the great players of all eras. It is possible to be both egotistical and respectful of others' accomplishment, if one is secure enough in one's accomplishments, as Plushenko certainly deserves to be.

As for skaters I love and admire, it generally depends on the skating, and on the personality that comes across on the ice rather than off. I figure I don't always really know what most skaters are like off the ice anyway.

When evaluating Takahashi's humility, I think one has to take his culture as well as his own personality into consideration. Humility, or at least the appearance of it, seems to be encouraged and valued in Japan. If you add Takahashi's innate character to the mix, you come up with someone who's pretty self-effacing. Fine with me! His skates do his talking for him.

Yuna fans and Plushenko fans should join forces. Together they got first AND second AND third AND fourth. :rock: They should form a club -- the Comeback Kids for 2018!

louisa05

Final Flight
Bull Durham is a classic for sure. The "interview coaching" scene is a hoot, but the line that almost made me my spill my popcorn is from the opening: "I believe in the church of baseball..." :laugh:

My favorite is the scene on the mound with all the "problems" of the day. "Candlesticks are always nice" is my family's stock answer when we don't know what to buy someone ever since this movie came out.

I probably should have included this scene, where Nuke proves he learned his cliches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZprAlFcQLA

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yuna fans and Plushenko fans should join forces. Together they got first AND second AND third AND fourth. :rock: They should form a club -- the Comeback Kids for 2018!
:bow: I need to figure out how to send you cookies. ;)

As for 2018 comeback... If both their backs magically hold up...?