Working on 1 foot spins! Which spinner to use for off ice | Golden Skate

Working on 1 foot spins! Which spinner to use for off ice

orianna

Rinkside
Hello, I am working on 1 foot spins and I want to get a spinner to practice them off ice. I was looking at some brands but don't know which is a good one. I was thinking of getting the edea e spinner but I don't know if its good or not.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello, I am working on 1 foot spins and I want to get a spinner to practice them off ice. I was looking at some brands but don't know which is a good one. I was thinking of getting the edea e spinner but I don't know if its good or not.
Hi and welcome! I'm probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but off ice spinners are not the greatest for practicing spins/learning spins b/c they are flat and have no "edges" so it's not duplicating what you are doing when your blade is on the ice.

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
Hi and welcome! I'm probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but off ice spinners are not the greatest for practicing spins/learning spins b/c they are flat and have no "edges" so it's not duplicating what you are doing when your blade is on the ice.
I agree that they don’t feel the same at all but personally I find it helps with training to keep the body tight and learning balance while in the spin. The only way to truly practice spins is to practice on it. I did find it helpful for learning my body position and maintaining stability for camel and sit spin but again nothing beats practicing on ice.

If you insist on getting a spinner I like the original Edea one. The E-Spinner is way too difficult for a beginner and I wiped out several times on it. The original one has a bigger balance point whereas the E-Spinner has very little material touching the surface. Luckily I was able to return the E-Spinner because I actually found it quite dangerous when pulling in too quickly.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Spinners help with getting control of dizziness during fast rotation, but there really is no substitute for practising spinning on ice. I have the flat square one with the ball-bearings. Because we know that I'd almost certainly kill myself with one of those little shaped plastic gizmos.

Last edited:

christy

On the Ice
Spinners help with getting control of dizziness during fast rotation, but there really is no substitute for practising spinning on ice. I have the flat square one with the ball-bearings. Because we know that I'd almost certainly kill myself with one of those little shaped plastic gizmos.
Totally agree with both comments - almost killed myself on a plastic shaped gizmo!