Yet another skate thread - sorry! | Golden Skate

Yet another skate thread - sorry!

Vicki7

On the Ice
I'm so sorry to add to the many, many skate threads here, but there's some fantastically knowledgeable people and I could use some advice.

Before I begin, I am going to get my coach to look over my boots when I get back on the ice, and I am 100% going to get in contact with a reputable skate technician for a fitting if needed.

OK, so I have Jackson Debut boots, that are around 2 and a half years old. I was fitted for these at a skate shop and they were heat molded for me. All has been fine, apart from developing a bunion on my right foot, on the outside by my baby toe. This has been painful and I've had one punch out done, but it was ever so slightly off in location so hasn't quite solved the problem. I'm actually wondering if I'm in a boot that's too narrow and pressure has actually caused the bunion.

Anyway, I tried my skates on today, in preparation for getting back to skating in a week or so, and I've noticed my boots feel loose round the ankles, particularly on my left skate, my heels are also able to lift slightly where they didn't really before. My feet started to go numb after a while and the tops of my skates are easier to squeeze in as well, but the ankle still feels solid, just loose. Now, I had some Edeas that gave me major issues, and things kind of started in a similar way, then progressively got worse until I had to get the current boots.

Now, it could be, that because I've not had my feet in my skates for 4 months, this is all just me being super sensitive to EVERYTHING. It could also be that because I'm not skating, just sitting in my boots, and when I get on the ice, all will be well. But my last skates got so awful towards the end, and the situation worsened so quickly, I'm now paranoid! So, lovely people, what do you think? Could it be time to see the skate tech again? (I really hope not!)

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Skate on them a bit. If the pain is too hard to skate through, see the tech. If it persists for longer than a few weeks, see the tech.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What you call a bunion on your little toe sounds more like a corn. And you're going to have to protect it when your foot is in your boot or it will get incredibly painful (I went thru this with Jacksons).

There are foam-like sticky pads that have a cutout in the center, specifically to alleviate the pressure on the corn. Some come with little disks to help dissolve the corn, or you can buy a corn dissolving liquid. Just punching out the boot is not going to help.
When the corn does calm down, I suggest putting moleskin on the area each time you skate for protection. You can cut moleskin to any size.

I find it interesting that you feel your boots have gotten looser by not wearing them. Usually boots tighten up when they just sit around - leather ones anyway. So I don't know enough to advise you on that aspect but discussing with your coach and seeing the tech is the best way to go.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree with @gliese here OP. I will also tell you, with the bunion/corn you have, you don't want to see my ragged old skater feet lol.

Vicki7

On the Ice
Thank you all for the replies. It’s reassuring to know it could just be me having forgotten how my skates feel. I knew I'd get sensible advice here.

I agree with @gliese here OP. I will also tell you, with the bunion/corn you have, you don't want to see my ragged old skater feet lol.

Trust me Ice3Rabbit, my feet are pretty bad, so yours wouldn't shock me! I'll definitely take the good advice here, and skate a little before doing anything drastic - I really hate breaking in new skates so if I can avoid that fun for a little longer, I'm all for it!

One thing I didn't say, which might explain things/possibly change the advice is, I have lost weight of the past year, gradually. I'm around 21lbs down and I am a big girl - was over 200lbs now down to around the 180 mark with a way to go to be a healthy weight as I'm only 5 foot 2. I'm wondering if this has changed my foot shape, or brought boot issues which were hidden before, to the forefront. I'm also wondering if I'm in the right stiffness (my Debuts are junior size - a Jackson 7, UK 5.5 so does that affect the stiffness?) Honestly, now 3 pairs of skates in, I know why people travel hours to good skate techs!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you all for the replies. It’s reassuring to know it could just be me having forgotten how my skates feel. I knew I'd get sensible advice here.

Trust me Ice3Rabbit, my feet are pretty bad, so yours wouldn't shock me! I'll definitely take the good advice here, and skate a little before doing anything drastic - I really hate breaking in new skates so if I can avoid that fun for a little longer, I'm all for it!

One thing I didn't say, which might explain things/possibly change the advice is, I have lost weight of the past year, gradually. I'm around 21lbs down and I am a big girl - was over 200lbs now down to around the 180 mark with a way to go to be a healthy weight as I'm only 5 foot 2. I'm wondering if this has changed my foot shape, or brought boot issues which were hidden before, to the forefront. I'm also wondering if I'm in the right stiffness (my Debuts are junior size - a Jackson 7, UK 5.5 so does that affect the stiffness?) Honestly, now 3 pairs of skates in, I know why people travel hours to good skate techs!
I'm with @gliese and @Ic3Rabbit on this. Definitely skate in the current boots for a while before making any big decisions.

As to the potential corn on the little toe, what you really need is to see a chiropodist or even just have a pedicure to get the nasty little blighter removed. Corn plasters can alleviate the pressure a bit, but not solve the problem and - in my experience at any rate - the ones that are supposed to dissolve or remove the corns just make things manky and worse.

I find that my weight makes a huge difference to the way my boots fit. As I know you and how you skate, I'd say that your current Debut are the right stiffness for you; any stiffer and you'll be hindering your progress. I'm also heavy but have no choice but to wear junior boots and no way am I upping stiffness right now!

Vicki7

On the Ice
Alright, slight update on the situation. I spoke to my dance coach on Wednesday night, she advised me to contact a skate shop she recommends for her skaters, and seek their advice, and essentially have them on standby in case I still have issues when I get back on the ice. My main coach agrees with this, if new skates are needed, the sooner I can get them, the better. The shop has been, quite frankly, fantastic. They're a little too far away for me to visit just yet, so I sent measurements, tracings and photos to them. A friend has ordered skates for her daughter through them this way, a couple of times and has had no issues. They've said because the fit was OK to start with, and having looked at my foot shape and measurements, there's nothing alarming them about the size I have, it's likely that the internal padding has broken down and the boots are just reaching the end of their lifespan.

This seems quite strange as they're only about 2 and a half years old. I put in around 4 hours a week, plus competitions, plus seeing my dance coach every couple of months (this will hopefully increase this year now I'm in stable employment - covid permitting). It seems a short period of time for a pair of skates, or is that just me?

Anyway, I'm seeing my main coach tomorrow (via video) and will be back on the ice next Saturday. We'll see what the first skate back brings, but he and my dance coach both say that if I don't feel 100% in my boots, just get new ones, because they'd rather a slow down in progress be due to breaking in new skates, than trying to keep old ones going that don't fit and that I don't feel secure in. We did that with the Edeas, I have no desire to repeat that particular process.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Alright, slight update on the situation. I spoke to my dance coach on Wednesday night, she advised me to contact a skate shop she recommends for her skaters, and seek their advice, and essentially have them on standby in case I still have issues when I get back on the ice. My main coach agrees with this, if new skates are needed, the sooner I can get them, the better. The shop has been, quite frankly, fantastic. They're a little too far away for me to visit just yet, so I sent measurements, tracings and photos to them. A friend has ordered skates for her daughter through them this way, a couple of times and has had no issues. They've said because the fit was OK to start with, and having looked at my foot shape and measurements, there's nothing alarming them about the size I have, it's likely that the internal padding has broken down and the boots are just reaching the end of their lifespan.

This seems quite strange as they're only about 2 and a half years old. I put in around 4 hours a week, plus competitions, plus seeing my dance coach every couple of months (this will hopefully increase this year now I'm in stable employment - covid permitting). It seems a short period of time for a pair of skates, or is that just me?

Anyway, I'm seeing my main coach tomorrow (via video) and will be back on the ice next Saturday. We'll see what the first skate back brings, but he and my dance coach both say that if I don't feel 100% in my boots, just get new ones, because they'd rather a slow down in progress be due to breaking in new skates, than trying to keep old ones going that don't fit and that I don't feel secure in. We did that with the Edeas, I have no desire to repeat that particular process.
Good advice there from both coaches and, by the sounds of it, the skate shop.

I don't think it's strange that the boots should be broken down in 2 /2 years of use. Frankly, if they go on for too long, they were too stiff to start with! I destroyed a pair of top level dance boots in less than 2 years, skating between 1 1/2 to 3 hours a week. Obviously not jumping at all...

I think you know that the current boots aren't up to the job any more and your first skate back will most likely confirm this. Onwards to new boots and greater things!

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
At 4 hours a week + competitions + extra dance lessons, I'd have expected the boots to be broken down by 18 months to 2 years.

ETA: As an adult. If there was such a thing as a kid who didn't outgrow boots, a lighter skater could last longer, theoretically.

Vicki7

On the Ice
Well, one session back and it’s abundantly clear. The boots are done. They’re both hurting and also not supporting me where I want them to, so time to change.

I’ve spoken to a fitter, but he’d rather see me and my feet before advising. So I’ve got to find a way of getting approximately 90 miles up to their shop. Because the questions I’ve just been asked on the phone, no previous skate shop has asked - all about my feet, my skating level etc. If I was vaccinated I’d jump on a train no problem, but I’m still waiting and don’t feel comfortable with that length of journey yet.

Vicki7

On the Ice
So, an update on this. After my initial call with the fitter on Saturday, I spoke to my coaches and exchanged a couple more messages with the shop.

I couldn’t deal with more sessions in my current boots, and as I said before, for various reasons I’m not comfortable travelling that distance yet. So I needed to order new boots, both coaches were in agreement with that. The fitter said that although a fitting would be best in an ideal world, if the Debuts worked for me for over 2 years, he’d recommend going with a new pair, and then when times are better, I can go to them if I need things punching out or other adjustments.

So, new boots (and blades) ordered, and they’ll be here today. I’m excited, although nervous because I know what’s coming in terms of break in!