Pain with new boots: Size? Foot shape? | Golden Skate

Pain with new boots: Size? Foot shape?

Lulujam

Spectator
Hi all, I really could use some advice.

I'm fairly new at figure skating - only been going for a couple of months, and am in Alpha learn-to-skate (In SF Bay Area).

I was (non professionally) fitted into new skates at my rink shop about 6-7 weeks ago, after a lesson, into Riedell Crystals (the only other option was Jackson). My left foot is slightly smaller than my right so I was kind of between sizes. I ended up going with what felt more comfortable on my bigger foot, a size 9 (I'm normally a 9.5-10 in shoes).

Since then, I've just had nonstop pain every time I skate. I'm curious if this is just normal for the breaking-in period, or if there is something wrong.
Basically, I am either in extreme pain or I feel very unstable in my boots. When I lace them up tight enough to finally eel stable, my toes go numb and my feet start to ache. I've tried only lacing at the cross-section and ankle so avoid toe and side foot pain, but then my feet feel like they are swimming, which makes me unsteady and my shin muscles start to hurt.

I am feeling like it's likely I bought the wrong size skate, given that my toes kind of flop around, esp up and down. I added some thicker insoles to try to correct for fit and also added toe inserts (Powerfoot), which stopped my toes from flopping around, but I'm still having the same problem with pain. I tried both thick socks and tights, and still, I'm either stable and tight but in pain or unstable and loose.

Is it the size of the boot or could I be in the wrong shape/style of boot? Am I just doing something wrong? Is it my foot shape?

I have long, slightly narrow, flat feet, with very long toes (Egyptian shape I think). If my toes were not so long I would be half a size smaller so sometimes I have problems fitting well in shoes (depending on style I can fit anywhere between 9-10). Any recs on skates or inserts for feet like mine?

Given I just bought these $200 skates less than 2 months ago, I'm hesitant to buy new ones already, but at this point I'm basically in tears after each 1-hour session so I'm willing to invest in the right pair if need be. Before I do I want to know what my biggest problem is, and if this is just a normal break-in experience, I would love to know that too. If you have any advice about how to make slightly ill-fitting skates better without buying new ones, that is ideal, at least to get me through one more 8 week class.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I'm fairly new at figure skating - only been going for a couple of months, and am in Alpha learn-to-skate (In SF Bay Area).

I was (non professionally) fitted into new skates at my rink shop about 6-7 weeks ago, after a lesson, into Riedell Crystals (the only other option was Jackson). My left foot is slightly smaller than my right so I was kind of between sizes. I ended up going with what felt more comfortable on my bigger foot, a size 9 (I'm normally a 9.5-10 in shoes).

Since then, I've just had nonstop pain every time I skate. I'm curious if this is just normal for the breaking-in period, or if there is something wrong.
Basically, I am either in extreme pain or I feel very unstable in my boots. When I lace them up tight enough to finally eel stable, my toes go numb and my feet start to ache. I've tried only lacing at the cross-section and ankle so avoid toe and side foot pain, but then my feet feel like they are swimming, which makes me unsteady and my shin muscles start to hurt.

I am feeling like it's likely I bought the wrong size skate, given that my toes kind of flop around, esp up and down. I added some thicker insoles to try to correct for fit and also added toe inserts (Powerfoot), which stopped my toes from flopping around, but I'm still having the same problem with pain. I tried both thick socks and tights, and still, I'm either stable and tight but in pain or unstable and loose.

Is it the size of the boot or could I be in the wrong shape/style of boot? Am I just doing something wrong? Is it my foot shape?

I have long, slightly narrow, flat feet, with very long toes (Egyptian shape I think). If my toes were not so long I would be half a size smaller so sometimes I have problems fitting well in shoes (depending on style I can fit anywhere between 9-10). Any recs on skates or inserts for feet like mine?

Given I just bought these $200 skates less than 2 months ago, I'm hesitant to buy new ones already, but at this point I'm basically in tears after each 1-hour session so I'm willing to invest in the right pair if need be. Before I do I want to know what my biggest problem is, and if this is just a normal break-in experience, I would love to know that too. If you have any advice about how to make slightly ill-fitting skates better without buying new ones, that is ideal, at least to get me through one more 8 week class.

Thank you so much!
Hi and welcome. What is your height/weight.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

Thank you so much!
You definitely were sold the wrong skates for your feet, but we need to know more about you to advise you. As @Minz says, what is your height and weight? Jacksons are the wrong shape for Egyptian feet (as I can personally attest, having that shape foot myself), so please don't buy those instead until we've had a chance to discuss this more here. If you buy heat-moldable boots these days, there should be minimal break-in troubles if the boots are the right brand and model for your feet and the right size. Hang in there, we'll try to help :console:.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Thank you thank you!
I’m 5’7 and 178 lbs
Good, thanks. First we need to find you a proper skate shop with a professional fitter. There I can't help, being up the coast from you in Canada. There are several people on GS who know specific shops all over the world, and San Francisco must have more choices than some of the locations we hear about. Can someone suggest a good fitter or two for this adult beginner with sore feet?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You definitely were sold the wrong skates for your feet, but we need to know more about you to advise you. As @Minz says, what is your height and weight? Jacksons are the wrong shape for Egyptian feet (as I can personally attest, having that shape foot myself), so please don't buy those instead until we've had a chance to discuss this more here. If you buy heat-moldable boots these days, there should be minimal break-in troubles if the boots are the right brand and model for your feet and the right size. Hang in there, we'll try to help :console:.
I asked the height weight, not minz lol

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
It was @Ic3Rabbit who asked actually, but I was going to ask the same thing. You definitely need to see a fitter ASAP - this amount of pain is not normal.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
OP, for fitters your best two choices in that area that I know of are going to be

PRO SWIZZLES
1377 VINE ST
SAN JOSE CA 95110
(408) 712-9122

or

A&G SKATE SHOP
90 SOUTH SPRUCE AVE
SUITE R
South San Francisco CA 94080
(650) 871-1715

Please call ahead and set up a fitting with the shop you choose.

With your feet, you shouldn't be in a Riedell. Height/Weight I'm debating the stiffness (The ones you have now are 50 rating).
I'd suggest looking at Graf, Edea and possibly Risport, or a rapid custom Jackson.
If Edea fits your foot shape etc you are just going to have to decide if you like their looser ankle/upper boot area compared to other brands.
If you need any other help like possible styles etc in these brands, let me know.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Lulujam

Spectator
Good, thanks. First we need to find you a proper skate shop with a professional fitter. There I can't help, being up the coast from you in Canada. There are several people on GS who know specific shops all over the world, and San Francisco must have more choices than some of the locations we hear about. Can someone suggest a good fitter or two for this adult beginner with sore feet?

leia1979

Rinkside
@Lulujam I'm in the Bay Area. Which rink shop did you buy from? (You can PM me if you prefer to limit public info.) A challenge here is many shops only carry two brands of boots.

Those Riedells sound like they might be too long (for example, I wear a size 7.5-8 shoe but am 6 or 6.5 in Riedell). Often toes going numb comes from being too tight over the top of the foot. It's possible they're fixable, but skates should not hurt that much.

ProSwizzles is the local Edea dealer but I believe carries Risport as well (I was just there last night and saw a Risport poster). I haven't bought skates there. I have bought from both A&G in South SF (probably the largest brand selection--former owners of SP-Teri) and Figure Skating Pro Shop at Ice Oasis in San Mateo (Riedell and Jackson) and have mixed feelings about both. Figure Skating Pro Shop put me in Jacksons that became way too big after three months of use. A&G did a more proper fitting--my only issue was problems with the blade sharpening. Figure Skating Pro Shop or ProSwizzles will give you a better sharpening. Also, don't let the rink shops (except San Mateo) sharpen your skates.

Lulujam

Spectator
@Lulujam I'm in the Bay Area. Which rink shop did you buy from? (You can PM me if you prefer to limit public info.) A challenge here is many shops only carry two brands of boots.

Those Riedells sound like they might be too long (for example, I wear a size 7.5-8 shoe but am 6 or 6.5 in Riedell). Often toes going numb comes from being too tight over the top of the foot. It's possible they're fixable, but skates should not hurt that much.

ProSwizzles is the local Edea dealer but I believe carries Risport as well (I was just there last night and saw a Risport poster). I haven't bought skates there. I have bought from both A&G in South SF (probably the largest brand selection--former owners of SP-Teri) and Figure Skating Pro Shop at Ice Oasis in San Mateo (Riedell and Jackson) and have mixed feelings about both. Figure Skating Pro Shop put me in Jacksons that became way too big after three months of use. A&G did a more proper fitting--my only issue was problems with the blade sharpening. Figure Skating Pro Shop or ProSwizzles will give you a better sharpening. Also, don't let the rink shops (except San Mateo) sharpen your skates.
Thank you! I’m going to check out A&G today and then ProSwizzles next weekend. Can’t seem to find much info on them though.
I initially bought my skates from Yerba Buena shop, and got fitted by a bored teen ;)
I’m hoping to take my existing skates in to the shops you mentioned to see if there is anything they can do.
Thanks for the tips on the San Mateo pro rink too, maybe I’ll check that out.