You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 66 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

Azikin

Medalist
... when you are at a wedding where a song "River flows in you" is played at the end of the ceremony, then you go congratulate the bride and groom and you tell them excitedly that you recognized the song, it was that one Evgenia Medvedeva was skating to and they look very very surprised... 😅

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS · EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
A little off topic but I love Mel Martin and remember her with Adam Dalgleish (Roy Marsden) in "Cover Her Face" as well as in "Game, Set, and Match" with Ian Holm.

Thank you for the recommendations. I'll keep an eye out for them.

I have to be honest, I hadn't come across Mel Martin before. And I haven't really formed an opinion yet because, despite playing the title character, she didn't actually have a big part in the first episode of "Love For Lydia". But you could see the part building towards the end, as Lydia came out of her shell.

As far as the first episode was concerned, Rachel Kempson and Beatrix Lehmann stole the show as the Aunties. Although I didn't realise it, I have actually seen other things that each of them had been in. But they really stood out in this. They were absolutely brilliant!

It was only afterwards that I found out that Rachel Kempson was Michael Redgrave's wife! 😲 I never knew that his wife was also in the acting business! Now I know why their children are so good at acting - it didn't just come from the Redgrave side; it came from both of their parents! (Also interesting to note that not only did all of their children, and a good number of their grandchildren, follow them into acting, but they also followed them in marrying within the business!)

Looking forward to seeing how the series develops. (I've already spotted the seeds of one plotline).

CaroLiza_fan

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
...you're in your building's mailroom tidying and rearranging the tiny library, as the volunteer Chief Librarian, and it's just a housekeeping chore so you've brought along your CD player with headphones. It happened to have in it Patrick Doyle's soundtrack music from "Henry V". A neighbour drops in to pick up his mail and asks what you're listening to, and you say: "Paul Wylie's long program". Seeing a blank, you clarify: "From the '92 Olympics? Silver medal?"

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS · EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when your uncle and aunt pop in to visit, and they bring one of their grand-daughters with them (the third daughter of one of my cousins. I thought he only had two children, but I was missing the 2nd and 4th :slink: ). And when you hear her age, your first reaction is "my godness, I remember when you were born!" :eek: And then, as a means of putting it into context, you think "right, so she is the same age as skater B; and 2 years younger than skater A; and 5 years younger than skater Y..."

You know, meeting this girl really made me realise just how young the figure skaters we watch are. But, at the same time, it also made me realise just how grown up and mature kids are nowadays compared to when I was that age.

CaroLiza_fan