Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
all the news :love: ART & DRAMA will live! :cheer2: I was so afraid they'd quit!

the pics are so very gorgeous :yay: some Sasha's hilarious hairstyles lol! Yuko & cheburashka! Sasha kissing her on the cheek :love: etc etc
ugh Im gonna be so very worried @ Worlds. I want them to be #1 so much especially with that programm. Its like essential pair skating, a combination of everything good & balance between all components & vibe & soul!

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
A thing that is a real puzzler to me is why they get so (relatively) low PCS? Does anyone have a clue, because... I'm at a complete loss! Is it (lack of) reputation? Because, what in their skating could the judges possibly find lacking? Any thoughts?

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
A thing that is a real puzzler to me is why they get so (relatively) low PCS? Does anyone have a clue, because... I'm at a complete loss! Is it (lack of) reputation? Because, what in their skating could the judges possibly find lacking? Any thoughts?
Yuko/Sasha have lost the favor of the judges since they were replaced by V/T as Russia's No. 1 pairs team, and that they often made serious mistakes at key events like Worlds after the Vancouver Olympics does not help their PCS, either. Besides, their classical skating is not always appreciated by those critical and fickle judges.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yuko/Sasha have lost the favor of the judges since they were replaced by V/T as Russia's No. 1 pairs team, and that they often made serious mistakes at key events like Worlds after the Vancouver Olympics does not help their PCS, either. Besides, their classical skating is not always appreciated by those critical and fickle judges.
Yep, the judges are favouring Mozer's type which is consistency and good quality in all elements, not much about details and grace.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
This, pretty much. They were out for a while (and let's face it, if you're out for a while judges tend to "forget" you), and lost a lot of momentum due to their inconsistency and injuries. At the beginning of this season, they were Russian #3 at best. I'll be curious to see what their PCS are in Shanghai... will they rise due to now being default Russian #1, or will they fall in favour of the Chinese pairs?

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
Besides, their classical skating is not always appreciated by those critical and fickle judges.
yep yep as Shasha said "Leningrad drama theater isnt popular with judges anymore" :scowl:
which is a shame
The more styles the better. If all the pairs were the same whats the point in that (& I adore V/T & S/K!)

will they rise due to now being default Russian #1, or will they fall in favour of the Chinese pairs?
When I was in the prediction thread I had a couple of scenarious in mind
All depend on their actual skate
They may be as high as the 2nd (nothing will (sadly for me) move D/R from #1 spot imo)
or they may fall completely off the podium (like 4th or 5th) b/c Chinese pairs are extremely strong even without taking into consideration Shanghai as the location of the competition

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
When I was in the prediction thread I had a couple of scenarious in mind
All depend on their actual skate
They may be as high as the 2nd (nothing will (sadly for me) move D/R from #1 spot imo)
or they may fall completely off the podium (like 4th or 5th) b/c Chinese pairs are extremely strong even without taking into consideration Shanghai as the location of the competition
I have similar thoughts. They could be anywhere from 2nd to 5th depending on how they skate. Another thing to consider: from what I gather, due to their world standing, K/S won't start in the final group. That could hold back their SP marks. They'll need to rely on that magnificent LP to launch them to the top.

My dream is K/S + two Chinese pairs on the podium, but it's highly unlikely. :scowl:

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
I have similar thoughts. They could be anywhere from 2nd to 5th depending on how they skate. Another thing to consider: from what I gather, due to their world standing, K/S won't start in the final group. That could hold back their SP marks. They'll need to rely on that magnificent LP to launch them to the top.

My dream is K/S + two Chinese pairs on the podium, but it's highly unlikely. :scowl:
ugh my sentiments exactly :cry:
aw I didnt know they wouldnt be in the last group but hopefully their title @ Euros will help them to get the performance scores they deserve

New article which quotes Oleg Vasiliev who thinks Y/S can fight for the gold. But its not only on them but on their rivals.
He thinks D/R is having tech advantage in 4-5 points but Yuko/Sasha artistically
He cites taht D/R are not the only ones & obviously chinese pairs are extremely technicallly strong
The fight for top 10 will be very intriguing in pairs with
Iliushechkina/Moscovitch & James/Cipres & Marchei/Hotarek ("who we beat but not by that much the competition was equal")

Basically nothing new but everything is in their hands imo. They have the program, they have the ability, not stability is in order & also luck!
all I can do is only pray for them:bow:

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
ugh my sentiments exactly :cry:
aw I didnt know they wouldnt be in the last group but hopefully their title @ Euros will help them to get the performance scores they deserve

New article which quotes Oleg Vasiliev who thinks Y/S can fight for the gold. But its not only on them but on their rivals.
He thinks D/R is having tech advantage in 4-5 points but Yuko/Sasha artistically
He cites taht D/R are not the only ones & obviously chinese pairs are extremely technicallly strong
The fight for top 10 will be very intriguing in pairs with
Iliushechkina/Moscovitch & James/Cipres & Marchei/Hotarek ("who we beat but not by that much the competition was equal")

Basically nothing new but everything is in their hands imo. They have the program, they have the ability, not stability is in order & also luck!
all I can do is only pray for them:bow:
World Standings here: http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wspairs.htm Seems like final group will be Duhamel/Radford, Pang/Tong, Peng/Zhang, and Scimeca/Knierim. I expect some less-than-stellar PCS for Kavaguti/Smirnov and Sui/Han. :no:

Thanks for summarizing the interview. I personally don't think Yuko and Sasha should be too much behind technically: they have their own throw 4S. But--a bit like Moskvina's legendary team, Mishkutenok/Dmitriev--they don't really have huge quality on all the individual elements. It's more about how the program comes together as a whole. This shouldn't affect their PCS, of course. Let's see if the judges recognize this at Worlds.

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
ah thanks for the info about the standings:hopelessness: ah so Sui/Han is in the 2nd to last as well:cry:
basically they must just do their best in SP
I count on them being Euro champs & being #1 in the team after S/K withdrawal helping their scores somehow

A report from the local channel mostly summery + interviews w/Liza & Tamara fom the SPb comp
Tamara says that the biggest mistake is do underestimate the rivals because you never know who can 'surprise' you
Sasha says that they're themselves are the biggest rivals but they wont be fighting with themselves but rather coping & believing to do everything the best way possible
Basically their smiles speak for themselves.:love: esp Yuko has such a cute smile at the end aww

Another article/report form the training session (they were doing mostly jump elements) in which mostly Tamara speaks because Y/S said that its her job to speak & theirs - not to talk about how strong they are etc etc but they belive everything should be shown on ice
Tamara says that they health is good & that they made some minor additions for the program (doesnt speciically say which one)

In this article haha she was asked wether the time difference can be a problem for the preformance but Tamara dismissed it.

hmm I never ever thought about ths as a problem:think:

Last edited:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Thank you, Sugarpova, for the news! I don't know whether this might be Yuko/Sasha's last chance to be World Champions, but I really hope that they can make their dreams come true this time in Shanghai, for I love Moskvina and them very much.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you, Sugarpova, for the news! I don't know whether this might be Yuko/Sasha's last chance to be World Champions, but I really hope that they can make their dreams come true this time in Shanghai, for I love Moskvina and them very much.

I, too, hope for them to win. I became a big fan after witnessing their spectacular win at Skate America. Hope they can deliver at Worlds!

Sweet Dream

Final Flight

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
thanks for the link gallavich:love:
Yuko is a sweetie. I can imagine her being a kids coach after retirement. I bet she will be an understanding & gentle one.
Lol at the fish shade :laugh2: & Im SO guilty of pouring soy sauce over everything:laugh:

Oksana Kazakova is positive about them getting a medal & said that from the start of the season they were determined & didnt give up after the disappointment of the last season & health problems. Quad throw was practiced methodically & gradually. they rpepared very thoroughly & 'sobered up' (haha i dont know how to better translate it :biggrin:)

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
thanks for the link gallavich:love:

Oksana Kazakova is positive about them getting a medal & said that from the start of the season they were determined & didnt give up after the disappointment of the last season & health problems. Quad throw was practiced methodically & gradually. they rpepared very thoroughly & 'sobered up' (haha i dont know how to better translate it :biggrin:)

May I suggest my translation: 'they have approached this season in a more level-headed/sensible way than the previous seasons'