Yuzu’s future? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuzu’s future?

icybear

Medalist
The big question is what will happen to all those fans who brought tickets to Milan to see him. Considering the number of fans he has will there be rows and rows of empty seats? I doubt many of them follow other skaters to make the trip for them. Tbh he should have announced it earlier as its very likely he would have planned to miss worlds before the Olympics considering the state of his injury going into the Olympics. I bet many brought tickets after the Olympics to see him.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The big question is what will happen to all those fans who brought tickets to Milan to see him. Considering the number of fans he has will there be rows and rows of empty seats? I doubt many of them follow other skaters to make the trip for them. Tbh he should have announced it earlier as its very likely he would have planned to miss worlds before the Olympics considering the state of his injury going into the Olympics. I bet many brought tickets after the Olympics to see him.

I think there was a very realistic probability that he would skip Worlds after his injury in the fall. He skated very well at the Olympics, but that doesn't mean he wasn't in pain while competing.

Danibellerika

Medalist

He was mum on the state of his condition until the gold medal was around his neck and that is 100% his right and his strategy. And it worked out to be the right one. Directly after he won he made it known he was not yet healed and hinted at a withdrawal depending on the medical advice he received. He is an athlete, not a show pony. The condition of an athlete is not absolute and it is a risk we all take as fans whenever we purchase a ticket. Most fans will miss him but wish him all the best and want him to get well.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker

Are you suggesting that a ticket is more important than the health of a skater?

There won´t be empty rows, people will go to see Shoma, to see Nathan and others.

charlotte14

Medalist
Men event at Milan was sold out already before the Olympics. Because people thought Yuzuru would go.
Even if at the Olympics he said he wouldn’t go to Milan, the tickers were all sold, no one could get back their money.
(I am looking for someone to buy my tickets now but the chance is thin).

kiches

Final Flight

I think to assume that most of Yuzuru's fans are also not fans of figure skating, or enjoy other skaters, is a bit unfair. It also doesn't take into consideration that a lot of top skaters have already withdrawn so the draw for Milan has already been waning even before he announced his withdrawal. I personally know several people who are his fans who still plan to attend, but I also know a couple of fans who are looking to sell their tickets and I hold nothing against it. Traveling to watch figure skating is expensive and often tiring. If one of the main reasons you planned to go see a competition is gone, and you have the possibility of getting back some of your investment, there's nothing wrong with it - it's not like tickets were sold out to begin with and I'm sure many will try to sell their tickets discounted as I heard the original price was extremely high this season for Worlds and it deterred people from planning to go to begin with.

Yuzuru also gave very clear hints immediately after he won gold that he would likely miss Worlds due to the injury, but he probably had ideas of actually competing at Worlds if the prognosis of his injury allowed him to (there were news reports spotting him getting his medical check up just 2 days ago, so this likely sealed the deal and the news came out immediately after). Besides, many people already purchased tickets to Worlds well before the Olympics and well before he got injured so the timing of the withdrawal wouldn't have helped in their decision to buy a ticket.

charlotte14

Medalist
I think to assume that most of Yuzuru's fans are also not fans of figure skating, or enjoy other skaters, is a bit unfair. It also doesn't take into consideration that a lot of top skaters have already withdrawn so the draw for Milan has already been waning even before he announced his withdrawal. I personally know several people who are his fans who still plan to attend, but I also know a couple of fans who are looking to sell their tickets and I hold nothing against it. Traveling to watch figure skating is expensive and often tiring. If one of the main reasons you planned to go see a competition is gone, and you have the possibility of getting back some of your investment back, there's nothing wrong with it - it's not like tickets were sold out to begin with and I'm sure many will try to sell their tickets discounted as I heard the original price was extremely high this season for Worlds and it deterred people from planning to go to begin with.

Yuzuru also gave very clear hints immediately after he won gold that he would likely miss Worlds due to the injury, but he probably had ideas of actually competing at Worlds if the prognosis of his injury allowed him to (there were news reports spotting him getting his medical check up just 2 days ago, so this likely sealed the deal and the news came out immediately after). Besides, many people already purchased tickets to Worlds well before the Olympics and well before he got injured so the timing of the withdrawal wouldn't have helped in their decision to buy a ticket.
Exactly, I love watching skating but to tell me spend almost $2000 just to go to a competition having no favorites of mine is a bit... it’s my money. I already bought tickets to WC and now I am looking for a way to resell them. I would still support other skaters from home. Just I don’t think I could afford to spend $2000 on them. It’s my money right. There’s already a high chance of not finding anyone who will buy my tickets.

The tickets for men event are all sold out, I don’t think ISU and Italian fed would feel much sad. They got their money already.

icybear

Medalist
Are you suggesting that a ticket is more important than the health of a skater?

There won´t be empty rows, people will go to see Shoma, to see Nathan and others.
Did I ever said that? No. I said he could have announced it earlier that's all

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I do not want to see him land a 4A, because I do not want him to injure himself training the 4A. The 4Lz is easier and hurting himself on that element took him out for months.

There is always a risk of injury but I'm actually less worried about 4A than 4Lz. His best jump has always been 3A so if anyone can do it he can. Even his 3Lz was a jump he would make mistakes on so I hope he forgets about 4Lz from now on.

Barb

Record Breaker
Well, if the Olympics had empty seats, I dont see problem with Worlds having empty seats.

New member here. I used to love and follow FS religiously but have been out of it for the last few years. I don't recall the FS event at Sochi being particularly riveting but the FS event in SK was incredible. Every event was spectacular and I really started to follow both Yuzu and Zhenya after this. I've gone back and watched some of his performances on you tube and he is so incredible. The GOAT for me (at least in the last 20-30 years, hard to compare different eras though) and I've watched Brian Orser, Boitano, Petrenko, Stojko, Browning, Urmanov, Yagudin, Plushenko and Chan many times on TV and in person. It will be sad day for the sport when he does hang up his boots but he's got such a great head on his shoulders. It's a very good move to finish his University studies to give him something to fall back on when he's done his FS career. He has done so much for FS in Asia - look at who we have now in the men's?! It's incredible!!!

Welcome, LucyH. Thanks for joining us. Post often, post long! :rock:

eaglehelang

Final Flight
JSF got the test since the 28th, it was up to them to made the announcement.

I think part of the reason for delay is cos JSF need to confirm the replacement before announcing. The fact that it's Tomono and not Mura(as 1st alternate) means JSF had to go down the list to find replacement

da96103

Record Breaker
JSF just announced Yuzu will miss World Championship. his injury needs 2 weeks of rest and 3 months of rehabilitation. Kazuki Tomono will replace him.
https://twitter.com/crazykuroneko

"Based on the diagnosis of the doctors, I cannot compete at #Worlds2018. I will concentrate on getting treatment and rehabilitation so that I can be back as soon as possible and do what little I can day to day."
https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus

Damage to the #右足関節外側靱帯損傷 (lateral ligament of the right ankle) and #腓骨筋腱 (Peroneal Tendon) #YuzuruHanyu
https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus

Keiji Tanaka, stop being inconsistent. Japan's 3 spot is in your hands!

da96103

Record Breaker
Why are you crying, Mr Milan Plush Toy Seller?

I bought so many Winnie the Pooh toys to sell but now Yuzu not coming. (cues to sad music)

ReasonOFF

On the Ice
well nathan destoyed him in the free skate, got over +10 points. and could gain more if not his underscoring in program components and hanyu's crazy GOE's

so i doubt hanyu will show up again, because if not that bad short program by nathan the gold medal could be his.

Last edited by a moderator:

treblemakerem

On the Ice
well nathan destoyed him in the free skate, got over +10 points. and could gain more if not his underscoring in program components and crazy hanyu's GOE's

so i doubt hanyu will show up again, because if not that bad short program by nathan the gold medal could be his.

I do not think Hanyu is afraid of competition lol. And we don't know what would have happened had Nathan done a good SP. Hanyu might have upped his FP layout accordingly. He might have tried the loop and may or may not have landed it with his injury. No one can predict what would have happened. It's possible Nathan could have won but we don't know.

I'm sure Hanyu will be back to challenge the 4A and Nathan will continue to improve as well. They are both competitors who want to win and are not gonna be scared away by a little competition.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
well nathan destoyed him in the free skate, got over +10 points. and could gain more if not his underscoring in program components and crazy hanyu's GOE's

Not sure if you are aware but Hanyu best combined scores smashes Nathan best combined scores. And yes Hanyu deserves every PCS/GOE advantage over Nathan because his skating and jumps quality is on diffrent level compared to Nathan

steiner

Rinkside

If Yuzuru had gotten that combo in the free he would have gotten first in the FS. What if scenarios are pointless.