Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 853 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker

oriquey

Final Flight
One word that came to my mine: Merman.

On a brighter note I know his SP costume will be totally different, no orange, no green mint, no neon.

ITA. After looking at it for a while, it does look like a person surrounded by sea water and foam. So, merman would be an appropriate description :D

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
One word that came to my mine: Merman.

On a brighter note I know his SP costume will be totally different, no orange, no green mint, no neon.

Or it could be a combination of all those colors....with just as much bling and frills ;)

hamaguri

Record Breaker
This is the report of the second show of Kanazawa FaOI on June 27, Sunday

I’ll divide report into a few parts.

(PART I)

Part I is about his EX only.

(Costume)
As already posted, the design is something like this.
Johnny Weir

(Layout)
3Lo(○), sit spin, hydro, 3S(○), doughnut spin, uplight spin (I’m not sure about the order.)

(Choreography, music)

To begin with, when I watched the new EX, I had no idea about the music and theme ("Requiem of Heaven and Earth ", “The Great East Japan Earthquake Requiem "3.11"” ). So any kind of image or thought wasn’t in my mind.

What impressed me most was…, the choreography was totally different with his other performances’. It was not at all along the lines of his choreographies so far.
It was a bit complicated and I was perplexed. I couldn’t put my fingers on it.
It felt like even a bit avant-garde to me.

His motion was changing quickly. His movement was harsh like a thunder and sharp like a knife.
Music itself was beautiful. Nonetheless, there was nothing sweet, poetic lyrical..
Groan, agony, deep sorrow, absurdity, etc. were lying there.

And those dark emotions went nowhere. They remained there till the end.
He seemed to deny something like catharsis or comfort in the interval..

Then, right after the show, I knew the theme of music.

Further, I typed his interview about new EX in Kanazawa FaOI pamphlet as described. It’s much more worthwhile than my poor report:biggrin:. It reflects his thought about EX, and is something inspirational.

Partial quotation from Yuzu interview in Kanazawa FaOI pamphlet
The interview was carried out at the Shizuoka FaOI

(Q)「ファンタジーでも金沢からはコラボではなく、また違ったものをやると聞きましたが、どういうものですか。」

(Yuzu)「まだ作ってる最中なので詳しくは言えませんけど、これからやろうと思っているのは新しいエキシビジョンプログラムです。曲自体はボーカルも入ってなくて難しいんですけど、かなり感情を出せるプログラムで…。それにこれまでの僕の経験とか、その時の気持ちとか感情を込めてやろうと思うんです。ただ、歌詞がないから受け取るみなさんの感情などは、多分僕のものとは違いますよね。でも僕はそれを一緒のものにしようとは思わないし、『これを受け取ってほしい』というのはないですね。もちろん振付の宮本賢二先生との間では『こういうイメージでやろう』というのは固まっているけど、僕が作り出すイメージはその時限りのものだから、そのひとつ一つを感じてほしいなというのと、それを観たときに感じたものが少しでも記憶に残ってくれればと。僕の演技が記憶に残ってほしい、というまでのあつかましいことは言わないので(笑)。」

(Q)「観た人たちがそれぞれに感じたものを、記憶に残して欲しいということですね。」

(Yuzu)「そうなんです。僕の演技が映像に残れば何度も観てほしいですけど、アイスショーは試合じゃなくて1回しかないから。その時自分がナマで見て感じ取ったものというか、観ていて思い浮かんだ風景や自分の経験、または思い出だったり・・・。そういうものをすごく大切にしてほしいなと思っています。」

(Q)「観ている人たちの感情を触発するようなプログラムであり、演技なのですね。」

(Yuzu)「はい、多分僕はどちらかというと今までいろいろ演技させていただいていて、何かメッセージを伝えるというプログラムはあまり得意じゃないと感じているんです。バレエの先生とかいろんな方にプログラムを見ていただいた時も、『自分に入り込みすぎるな。もっと周りに向けて表現しろ』と言われてましたから(笑)。だからどちらかというと僕は周りに与えるのでなく、自分を表現することの方が得意だと思うんです」

(Q)「それは去年も話していましたね。自分の中に入り込みすぎると。」

(Yuzu)「そうですね。それでもっと外に出したいと思ってファントムを表現していたけど、結局は『そのファントムとは?』と言われたらやっぱり、自分の経験などを表現しようとしていたんだと思うので。でも新しいエキシビのプログラムは自分の経験がかなり関わってくるものなので、自分のその時の心境を出すためにも完全に自分の中に入り込んでもいいなと思っているんです。自分の世界の中に感情や体を全部溶け込ませるくらいに滑り込んでもいいなと…。だから、自分の生きざまじゃないけど、そういうのを観てくれた方々がどう感じてくれるかというのをすごく楽しみにしているというか。いろいろな感じ方をして楽しんでもらいたいと思ってるんです。」
(静岡エコパアリーナにて取材)
The interview was interesting (I hope someone will make a translation, an abstract, an interpretation..).
He isn’t good at a type of performance to make him get a certain message across. He is better at expressing himself instead of giving some message towards people.
Further, he tends to go too deep inside himself. As he is sometimes pointed out about it, so he tries to express something towards the outside of himself. But, since this EX is closely related to his personal experiences and the emotions therein, he feels he can allow himself to skate inside himself to such an extent that all of his emotions and body are melted in his own world.

After reading the interview, the following thought came upon me. Certainly, he was just himself and honest with his emotion at that very moment .

It was just my impression. His performance and emotion are to be different every time. According to interview, what he hopes is you shall cherish what you will feel to see this program. He thinks this music has no lyrics, so what he wants to convey and what audience receive actually from his EX are probably not the same, but it doesn’t matter.

Sorry for long and subjective report. New EX was too heavy for me and I was thinking about it. Now that I completed it, I will go ahead. Thank you for reading:).

Last edited:

kiches

Final Flight
After looking at the costume pictures the design of the illusion mesh (is that what it's called?) and the light green frills that reminds me seaweed, the costume gives me the impression of something that was scratched over by claws, or wounded so to speak. I'm not sure if I like it yet (love the color though) but I want to see it in motion.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for the report Hamaguri! It sounds like something very different from what we've seen in his EX so far so I'm really looking forward to watch it (Kobe is being broadcasted right?)
And the costume, as always, my first reaction was "NO, way too much glitter and frills", but as a started putting attention to detail, how those same frills and glitter in addition to the color make it look like sea foam, aside from the stunning attention to detail, it made me like it (though it still has to grow on me some more to really like it) I wonder, since the song has no lyrics, will he perform it at competitions outside of Japan?

Last edited:

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States

Oh I hope so Meoima. :laugh:

I will never understand exactly why Yuzu wants costumes like these, but after reading about the theme of his EX I sort of see how the costume goes with the program. I really want to see this performance with all the emotion he mentioned in the interview as I'm sure it's quite wonderful.

I wonder if he'll skate it outside of Japan? :confused:

oriquey

Final Flight
Nononono
This costume absolutly not suit to music and his ex's message.
I think he need something simple and not bright.

Well, I wouldn't say that the costume wouldn't suit the music. It'll depend on how it fits the flow of everything and that can only be determined when we actually get to see the ex. But regardless of how we feel about the costume, I think ultimately as long as Yuzuru likes it.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
This is the report of the second show of Kanazawa FaOI on June 27, Sunday

Thank you so much for your report and your own impressions on the new EX program. As it is still too long to wait until we get to see the program and I love to read the reports from those who saw that program live. Your report is like a pearl I found in the seashell, that's how precious it is to me. Thank you so so much! Can't wait to read your part 2 of the report.:love:

firal

Record Breaker
I have to admit I gave a little "yikes" when I clicked on the long-awaited picture of the costume...but also the description of lettuce/seaweed was quite spot on. To me the colour was great but the frills are a little too much; however it might look totally different in motion, so hopefully I will have a more positive opinion on the costume when we see the broadcast.

Probably due to personal preference, but the bling on his costumes never bothered me. :) Same with intricately placed rhinestones on this one as well.

Thanks, hamaguri, for your first hand report and for the pamphlet quotes. I think he had achieved what he set out to do with this EX, which is to make a lasting impression to those watching it live.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
wow they werent kidding about lettuce, i dont like it for now but i am sure i will like it after watching the program, thats what happened almost all the time :laugh:
thanks for report hamaguri!! seems like its the most intense and heartfelt ex yet, he did 2 other ex numbers about 3.11 but they had "hope" in it, the way you describe this new ex its more like opposite, there is pain in it, how they felt during the tsunami and earthquake, i cant wait to see it!! (and can you tell about Nam's program too if its not too much trouble? :biggrin: of cours when you have time )
and about marin and yuzu interaction, they are too cute! sometimes i cant believe how Yuzuru in this ex and interviews (who is so mature and wise) and Yuzuru, The Dork are the same person :laugh: i hope he never loses this child inside him :biggrin:

zeldaindisguise

Rinkside
I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I'm really liking this costume. Regardless of fitting the music (since we haven't seen the program yet to discuss that) I think it's gorgeous. It looks like waves and sea foam with glittering pearls tossed among the surf - turbulent at the same time as dazzling. I can't imagine how long it must have taken to make such an intricate costume -- not only coming up with the design and placement of all the rhinestones, but also all the bead work having to be sewn carefully so it won't fall off... To think this is just an Ex costume.

I can't wait to see it in motion.

nagini

On the Ice
ITA. After looking at it for a while, it does look like a person surrounded by sea water and foam. So, merman would be an appropriate description :D

Yep and the jewels are the rocks the pieces of houses that were torn by the waves.