Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season | Page 1232 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

padme21

On the Ice
The one thing that I never got is why many people considered Hanyu inconsistent. He's very consistent. I mean he's consistently on the podium for the past like five years. The only time he finished off the podium was in 2014 at the NHK trophy when he was in 4th. So far when Hanyu makes mistakes it hasn't cost him the podium it's just cost him the win.(examples: 2017 4CCs, 2016 Worlds.)
Other men make mistakes and fall right off the podium (Chan, Nathan, Fernandez,Shoma)
What I'm trying to say is that in terms of results Hanyu is the most consistent of the men.

Yuaz

On the Ice
The one thing that I never got is why many people considered Hanyu inconsistent. He's very consistent. I mean he's consistently on the podium for the past like five years. The only time he finished off the podium was in 2014 at the NHK trophy when he was in 4th. So far when Hanyu makes mistakes it hasn't cost him the podium it's just cost him the win.(examples: 2017 4CCs, 2016 Worlds.)
Other men make mistakes and fall right off the podium (Chan, Nathan, Fernandez,Shoma)
What I'm trying to say is that in terms of results Hanyu is the most consistent of the men.

You're right, I realized he only get the bronze once (world's 2012) right? after that he ended up to win gold or got a silver..

narcissa

Record Breaker

Ya whatever. People who want to bring him down or create drama can make up facts. I've learned to ignore them instead of arguing with them/getting upset haha.

mcq

Record Breaker
I agree. Besides, he always welcomes new rivals and it looks so genuine. Maybe having new rivals gives him new motivations and perspectives??

I think he likes himself a good competition. Winning when everyone skates well to their full potential feel so much better than winning when everyone bombs. ;)

Most likely the people who said this are people who are more used to 6.0 system. When Yuzu made a mistake, he usually fell but still fully rotate it. While in the 6.0, mistakes like doubling your jump, stepping out or ot or hands down did not really cost you so much. So he might look more inconsistent compared to people who land all their jumps but perhaps doubling 2-3 of them, while for example he would fell on his butt once but clean on the others (and he will have higher score).

Altie

On the Ice
I also think that when yuzu has a clean skate it's such a magical moment that people are addicted to it, even inconsciously.
So when he's not perfect they've got a kind of withdrawal symptoms.

Envoyé de mon SM-A510F en utilisant Tapatalk

gladiolusc

Medalist
I think he likes himself a good competition. Winning when everyone skates well to their full potential feel so much better than winning when everyone bombs. ;)

Most likely the people who said this are people who are more used to 6.0 system. When Yuzu made a mistake, he usually fell but still fully rotate it. While in the 6.0, mistakes like doubling your jump, stepping out or ot or hands down did not really cost you so much. So he might look more inconsistent compared to people who land all their jumps but perhaps doubling 2-3 of them, while for example he would fell on his butt once but clean on the others (and he will have higher score).

I don't think popsters come across consistent... :s Or, well, I also get the sense that it's because when he's "on", he's so dazzlingly good. So good you didn't even think it was possible to be so good before he showed it to you. :confused2: And I swear some people following this sport have the memory of goldfish (sorry, goldfish), they take whatever impression they get from the immediate previous competition and run away with their mouths.

Also he doesn't like mentioning his injuries :s so when he doesn't perform "up to standard" because of them, people simply attribute it to him being inconsistent.

Also since his tendency used to be that he peaked early, rather than late like Javi.

:palmf:

I also think that when yuzu has a clean skate it's such a magical moment that people are addicted to it, even inconsciously.

LOL, we said the same thing at the same time. But yes, exactly what you said. When he is clean, he is literally the best people have ever seen.

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker

Envoyé de mon SM-A510F en utilisant Tapatalk

:agree:

mcq

Record Breaker
I don't think popsters come across consistent... :s Or, well, I also get the sense that it's because when he's "on", he's so dazzlingly good. So good you didn't even think it was possible to be so good before he showed it to you. :confused2: And I swear some people following this sport have the memory of goldfish (sorry, goldfish), they take whatever impression they get from the immediate previous competition and run away with their mouths.

Also he doesn't like mentioning his injuries :s so when he doesn't perform "up to standard" because of them, people simply attribute it to him being inconsistent.

Also since his tendency used to be that he peaked early, rather than late like Javi.

:palmf:

The thing is I would see this comment mostly coming from 6.0 skaters' fan. If you go to Yagudin/Plushenko even Lysacek (lol) videos, you would see comment like : "oh I missed those days when you need to have a clean skate to win. Look at them they never fall (wrong they did). They would not have won if they fall. Look at Hanyu or Chan, winning while they fell."
I think fans of IJS skaters are more aware of the CoP, I don't think fans of Chan or even javi or Uno would call out Hanyu as inconsistent, I very rarely seen this kind of comment coming from IJS skaters' fan.

Lambari

Final Flight
The music of the free program “Hope & Legacy” is calm, so when the performance is off, the program becomes less exciting. Until 4CC he had not been able to deliver it perfectly, therefore it had not been highly appreciated. After he lost to Chen at 4CC, even program change was taken into consideration. However, he pledged to land all the jumps and stuck to the music he chose, and kept the pledge.

The HORROR.

Why am I laughing so much at this commentary in french? it's not the previous french one, it's canadian though :rofl: I understand most of it so it's not even what he's saying, he's just giving high praises about his utter perfection as if he's doing an Ode to Hanyu, but the guy is whispering with his radio voice, it sounds like he's hipnotizing him or being hipnotized, who knows. And then he has his climaxes and screams with the jumps out of nowhere and goes back to whispering again. :rofl: Am I just in a good mood today or is this really that funny? "Ina bauEEERR"

You will need VPN/browser extension to watch it.

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
And I swear some people following this sport have the memory of goldfish (sorry, goldfish), they take whatever impression they get from the immediate previous competition and run away with their mouths.
What do you mean, "some"? :biggrin: that's how like 90% of fandom seem to work. "OMG he/she/it won the latest competition – Oly gold, calling it now!!!"
Just like everyone has completely forgotten about Boyang all season long because there was a new shiny toy and, well :coffee: *points at podium*

gladiolusc

Medalist
The thing is I would see this comment mostly coming from 6.0 skaters' fan. If you go to Yagudin/Plushenko even Lysacek (lol) videos, you would see comment like : "oh I missed those days when you need to have a clean skate to win. Look at them they never fall (wrong they did). They would not have won if they fall. Look at Hanyu or Chan, winning while they fell."
I think fans of IJS skaters are more aware of the CoP, I don't think fans of Chan or even javi or Uno would call out Hanyu as inconsistent, I very rarely seen this kind of comment coming from IJS skaters' fan.

Could be. I don't think I particularly kept track of who exactly calls Hanyu inconsistent.

What do you mean, "some"? :biggrin: that's how like 90% of fandom seem to work. "OMG he/she/it won the latest competition – Oly gold, calling it now!!!"
Just like everyone has completely forgotten about Boyang all season long because there was a new shiny toy and, well :coffee: *points at podium*

haha I added 'some' before I hit send to be polite XP Yes, forgetting about Boyang is hilarious, and talking about the new five quad achievement without Boyang ever being referenced for achieving four quads first has always struck me as really weird. Not to undermine "five quad", but it's all progress built on top of each other...

Last edited:

YuzusHydroblade

Match Penalty
Oh no, don’t apologize. Thank you for reading.:thank:
By the way have you seen this? When I found this video I thought of you.

I agree. Besides, he always welcomes new rivals and it looks so genuine. Maybe having new rivals gives him new motivations and perspectives??

:D thank you! Actually, i received some messages on twitter from japanese fans linking me to that video :laugh: Some pages ago my keyboard took over my posts because i wasn't able to function like a normal human being thanks to hearing "Mexico"
and "i love you" in Yuzu's voice in the same sentence <3 I am so happy that he knows he has fans here!

Emzie

Match Penalty
The HORROR.

Why am I laughing so much at this commentary in french? it's not the previous french one, it's canadian though :rofl: I understand most of it so it's not even what he's saying, he's just giving high praises about his utter perfection as if he's doing an Ode to Hanyu, but the guy is whispering with his radio voice, it sounds like he's hipnotizing him or being hipnotized, who knows. And then he has his climaxes and screams with the jumps out of nowhere and goes back to whispering again. :rofl: Am I just in a good mood today or is this really that funny? "Ina bauEEERR"

I will need VPN/browser extension to watch it.
I was waiting for the je t'aime at the end :(

gladiolusc

Medalist
The HORROR.

I will need VPN/browser extension to watch it.

is it canada vpn? *goes to watch*

Fresca

On the Ice
I think people start referring to male skaters as balletic because of Curry (and it helped he skated to don quixote maybe lol)? Just out of curiosity, do you think he is balletic? I take few basic ballet lesson to support my ballroom but to be honest with skates is it really possible to be "true" balletic?

Is Curry really considered the standard of "balletic" in figure skating??? :unsure: :shocked: I don't know whether to laugh or cry!! This is the first time I've seen a video of Curry skating because I started following FS with Shen/Zhao so I'm watching this with a pair of fresh eyes.

Sorry, I wouldn't call him "balletic". He doesn't have proper ballet carriage (no elongation from the top of the head, long neck, low shoulders). His port de bras is strange. It's usually lacking (his second position is awful and he often has stiff hands) but sometimes he does it very well. It's a mixed bag because there are some moments where he is balletic, long stretches where he is not and other moments when he is trying to be but it looks very awkward. Also, he needs to work on his plie. He looks very clunky because he moves up and down while doing crossovers/stroking with his very stiff arms and hands in second position. In ballet, you use your plie to cushion you from such jerky up and down movements so everything looks fluid and easy. It's obvious he's had some ballet training but perhaps not very much because it only shows up clearly occasionally and otherwise looks laboured. Nathan has far, far better port de bras. Even Yuzu when he chooses to move his arms in such a style. Though Curry tries to consistently use ballet arms, the results are only successful sometimes.

Is it possible to be truly balletic on skates? I think you might get there if you combine Yuzu's lower body and flexibility and Nathan's upper body.

I've learnt to not pay attention to everyone who says that Yuzuru isn't "balletic", like you said, he has his (gorgeous) moments. And i agree with my teacher: Ballet has so many things that have to be done the "proper" way, that i think we wouldn't have the same Yuzu we have now if he skated following the rules of ballet. I like how emotional he is, and ballet feels a bit more unflexible for the kind of interpretation that Yuzu does.

My friend also says he is very natural and very musical, his moves and sense of rhythm is what she prefers.

And there's a Ballet choreographer (yes he's a professional) who saw Yuzuru at GPF 2015 became an Uber Yuzuru's fan. He replayed Yuzuru's performance and said something like "I have never seen anyone sensitive to every music note in such a natural way" :luv17:

Yes, Yuzu has excellent musicality and I really enjoy how all his movements look very easy and natural. Ballet is not the only beautiful form of movement that exists and should not be the defining standard of what is beautiful in figure skating (even in carriage!!!). What matters is if the choreography and the execution/expression of it fits the music and the type of program.

I think so.. Maybe that's why he said in the K&C that he doesn't have enough energy... Perhaps he wants to try 5 quads if he feels that he had enough energy.. Who knows...:slink:

Before the medal ceremony, it looks like Yuzu really wanted to do a lutz with Shoma...but 3Lz or 4Lz :drama:

Yuzu is the biggest Mama Bear with Shoma. :luv17: Of course, he learned from the best (Nanami...:sad4:).

BONUS: How Yuzu treats boys vs. girls in sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.