Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Arriba, for SC I went through Ticketmaster in early May; it was a breeze. Ticket delivery has been delayed for all tickets, but there's an 800# for checking up that I've called (a bunch of times:)). Skate America from the Sears Center 6/03 online took me over 40 minutes due to a somewhat toxic mix of computer program incompatibilities and my anxious ignorance (still happy with my seat--& very happy to be going at all!). I hope you decide to go to SC!

Thx for the additional details on your SC ticket purchase. I live near the Sears Center so just went right to the box ofc for my tickets, and that was super simple. I can't quite make the decision whether I'll do SC or not. I hate to NOT do it, because it would be so easy to go to the Toronto area, as opposed to something farther away like Vancouver or Calgary. Also there are so many good skaters there, especially for the singles. The easiest would just be to purchase a package that includes tickets, hotel, and daily transportation to the arena. So I'm still thinking about it. The usual problem is how do you get to the arena from the hotel. Anyway, still thinking about it. I appreciate your help! My biggest wish was that I would get to see Shoma, so I'm so happy he's at Skate America. So I guess I can't complain! :)

Last edited:

Yuzusan

On the Ice
Long break up ! So what's the schedule of our pretty boy. I'm always shocked by his defeat at Worlds, my heart is still suffering pain, like Warrior's defeat against Cleveland. **** sport moment ! Hope Federer will win Wimbledon and France win Euro ^^

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Fusosha, the publishing company of Yuzu's Blue Flame II, is promoting the book in major newspaper. The highlight is on the bottom right corner: "This book gets big hit, and reprints before selling started." - Echo Cheng @YHIFG FB

Huge display in one of the bookstores #1, #2, #3, #4 (source)

A sneak peek of a page....first time I've seen that Requiem photo :love:, someone need to draw that.

A fan (Angelica Yuzu) said there are so many beautiful photos and many that she has not seen before and quite a lot of him in bermudas :p. Definitely a good buy even if you don't understand Japanese. Especially as Yuzu is donating his royalties from the book and the publisher is also donating part of the sale proceeds to Ice Rink Sendai. It is available online at Amazon Japan and deliver worldwide.

Support for Ice Rink Sendai is another issue close to his heart as his fellow skaters depend on local rinks to train. Yuzuru has twice experienced losing his home rink. The first time was in Dec 2004 when it closed due to operating difficulties. It re-opened in 2007 after Shizuka won the OGM and pushed the local government into action. TV news covering the re-opening and interviewing 12 years old Yuzu (@1:03min) on his thoughts. The second time was due to the earthquake in March 2011 and he performed in about 60 ice shows over that summer to secure ice time. - credit @nanoka12 tumblr.

Long break up ! So what's the schedule of our pretty boy.
Welcome back! His GP assignments are Skate Canada and NHK.

Last edited:

vadrouille

Rinkside
Me too. I am still very sad after World 2016 in Boston. I was there. I did not understand at that moment what has happened, the near collision with Denis Ten during the practices ? The injuries? Now we know that it maybe due to the physical injuries and the mental, because he knew then that he was injured in his right leg, so he had trouble to do the quad toe, so he was not physically and mentally ready to do a clean free program. And another factor is Fernandez is over scored in the SP and in the FP. He got 98+ in the SP with a fall in a quad, and 214+ in the LP. He won World 2016 with more than 30 points over Yuzuru, compared to World 2015 he has won with only 1 point over Yuzuru.
I don't know what that means in the futur. I think that Javier always gets some help from the judges, even if he makes some mistakes. On the contrary, Yuzuru must be clean, no mistake. I also understand by the commentaries of Kurt and of the European commentators that Canadian and American judges criticized Yuzuru, maybe they prefer Javier'style to Yuzuru.
From now to the Olympics in 2018, we can see how it does play out.
But we can do nothing about it. It depends on Yuzuru to be healthy and skate clean, while Javier can get some help from the judges, clean or not.
Don't forget other competitors too. Some are very loved by the judges, like Chan and Uno.

skatefan22

Medalist
Yuzu has revealed lots of details in his book including his injuries before Boston. He said not only quad toe but even other triple jumps were gradually leaving him. He became very nervous and had seriously considered the option of quitting the worlds. His condition improved when he saw a doctor in Canada. So he regained his confidence a bit. So now we can understand he chose to stay in Canada after wc to treat his foot. I just feel surprised that Japanese doctors are not able to treat him.

Plumededragon

Medalist
Yuzu has revealed lots of details in his book including his injuries before Boston. He said not only quad toe but even other triple jumps were gradually leaving him. He became very nervous and had seriously considered the option of quitting the worlds. His condition improved when he saw a doctor in Canada. So he regained his confidence a bit. So now we can understand he chose to stay in Canada after wc to treat his foot. I just feel surprised that Japanese doctors are not able to treat him.
That's not about not able to treat him, it's much easier for him to be treated in Canada. If he were treated in Japan after NYOI, he wouldn't have been able to come back to train for WC in time. Beside, in Canada he has much less media attention and by staying there he could start working on the next season directly after the injury was treated and rehab was done.

Last edited:

Plumededragon

Medalist
Yes, it's her account. You can see the blue symbol next to her name, which means it's verified that it's her ;) Zhenya is most definitely a very big fan of Yuzu.
Well, at Worlds in Boston, she said her idols were Johnny Weir and Yuzuru Hanyu. That girl definitely has great tastes. :agree:

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
As an American fan of Yuzuru, I find these posts about the extent of his injuries going into worlds very, very disturbing. It makes me wonder about the competence of his "team" and how committed they are to acting in his best interest (as opposed to their own).

I'm also appalled at the lack of reporting about this in the western press. Yuzuru went into worlds as the clear favorite, the only clear favorite. The reigning Olympic Gold medalist and Grand Prix champion. The record-breaker. And yet no one thought to seriously question his coaching team as to what the hell went wrong?

Sports journalism at its finest. :sarcasm:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I'm also appalled at the lack of reporting about this in the western press. Yuzuru went into worlds as the clear favorite, the only clear favorite.
There's not much for them to report if he chooses not to disclose his injury before the competition.

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Better start out slow - with Autumn Classic:coffee:

I wonder! I made hotel reservations last Spring for Montreal, just in case--hoping to see Yuzuru at least once--but now that he'll be at SC, the additional monetary cost for the AC (coming from North Carolina) looms larger. Also--I am very fit but I'm also older, and the thought of camping out every night for tickets gives me pause. Time will tell! Are you going to the AC? I wish you great skaters, and maybe will see you there!

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thx for the additional details on your SC ticket purchase. I live near the Sears Center so just went right to the box ofc for my tickets, and that was super simple. I can't quite make the decision whether I'll do SC or not. I hate to NOT do it, because it would be so easy to go to the Toronto area, as opposed to something farther away like Vancouver or Calgary. Also there are so many good skaters there, especially for the singles. The easiest would just be to purchase a package that includes tickets, hotel, and daily transportation to the arena. So I'm still thinking about it. The usual problem is how do you get to the arena from the hotel. Anyway, still thinking about it. I appreciate your help! My biggest wish was that I would get to see Shoma, so I'm so happy he's at Skate America. So I guess I can't complain! :)

Package?! Be still, my heart, this ignorant person didn't know. I do have tix & hotel rez, but already worrying about transportation...oh well! I am so happy Shoma will be at SA, and hope it works out for you to go to SC also!

skatefan22

Medalist
That's not about not able to treat him, it's much easier for him to be treated in Canada. If he were treated in Japan after NYOI, he wouldn't have been able to come back to train for WC in time. Beside, in Canada he has much less media attention and by staying there he could start working on the next season directly after the injury was treated and rehab was done.

Probably you are right. But just from I read in the book, Yuzu said he was supposed to go to Canada in Feb or something but he decided postpone that to stay in Japan for another month in order to heal. However, things got worse even. He was unable to jump even a triple. He then thought no matter what, he needed to go to Canada. So he went to Canada regardless of his injury. The treatment he received in Canada turned out to be effective and his condition got better. So I got the impression that Canadian treatment works better. :think:

As an American fan of Yuzuru, I find these posts about the extent of his injuries going into worlds very, very disturbing. It makes me wonder about the competence of his "team" and how committed they are to acting in his best interest (as opposed to their own).

I'm also appalled at the lack of reporting about this in the western press. Yuzuru went into worlds as the clear favorite, the only clear favorite. The reigning Olympic Gold medalist and Grand Prix champion. The record-breaker. And yet no one thought to seriously question his coaching team as to what the hell went wrong?

Sports journalism at its finest. :sarcasm:

I think Yuzu and his team (not team cricket but the real team behind Yuzu) prefer to keep injuries and stuff private. For example, in his book, he said that before wc2013, he was sick and he had knee injury making him off-ice for some weeks (can't remember the detail), he and his team tried not to reveal his condition to the public. Maybe sometimes, even Brian doesn't know exactly how he is. I still remember before wc2016, Brian described Yuzu as "the super Yuzu". I don't think he would have said that if he had known Yuzu's true condition.

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
So now we can understand better yuzu's very strong reaction after his awesome sp and at other times that week. He was very stressed and on edge and unsure of how he would compete.

I get the impression yuzu keeps a lot to himself, but I have a feeling brian is going to keep a very close eye on that foot now. All they can do now is learn from this experience and pay attention to future warning signals. No ' hoping it will get better....'

PatricksGaze

On the Ice
I think Yuzu and his team (not team cricket but the real team behind Yuzu) prefer to keep injuries and stuff private. For example, in his book, he said that before wc2013, he was sick and he had knee injury making him off-ice for some weeks (can't remember the detail), he and his team tried not to reveal his condition to the public. Maybe sometimes, even Brian doesn't know exactly how he is. I still remember before wc2016, Brian described Yuzu as "the super Yuzu". I don't think he would have said that if he had known Yuzu's true condition.

I think many people felt Yuzu's confidence going into WC. I'm almost sure he already at that time, going by attained improvement of his condition, expected great achievements from himself as well as to endure any pain emerging. It was like he overestimated his physical and mental resources back then, asking much from himself. After WC 2015 he replied smth like "Even if I have a trauma I can perform well, so I was surprised with my falling" that's probably how his mentality works, not lying. So Brian and his team (maybe) had difficulties picking on any warning signs.
As for concealing injuries, that's an example of Japanese mentality common in Jp skaters. He picked this trait from Mao. Brian shall already understand this trait about Yuzu's team as he worked with him for so long. Sometimes Jp skaters never reveal their injuries at all, neither in books nor in post-competition interviews (Mao etc). It must be hard for coaches from different cultures to cope with but Japanese athletes take pride in following "samurai codex"/traditional sportsmanship values. That's how Japan decides to represent itself through its champions.
ED. As for healing in Canada, that's weird. He used to heal in Japan. Did he explain in his book why treatment in Japan was less efficient?

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Package?! Be still, my heart, this ignorant person didn't know. I do have tix & hotel rez, but already worrying about transportation...oh well! I am so happy Shoma will be at SA, and hope it works out for you to go to SC also!

It would be thru DASH Tours. But I think it's always cheaper to set things up yourself, if you can. Still thinking! :)

vadrouille

Rinkside
I wonder! I made hotel reservations last Spring for Montreal, just in case--hoping to see Yuzuru at least once--but now that he'll be at SC, the additional monetary cost for the AC (coming from North Carolina) looms larger. Also--I am very fit but I'm also older, and the thought of camping out every night for tickets gives me pause. Time will tell! Are you going to the AC? I wish you great skaters, and maybe will see you there!
Thank you to let us know that Montreal will be host to Autumn Classic this year, from September 28- October 1, 2016.
I live in Montreal, I hope that Yuzuru will come to AC in 2016, so that I can see him skate. But not sure Yuzuru will come to AC in Montreal.
I will go to Skate Canada in Mississauga. I don't know yet if I will buy ticket with ticketmaster and make hotel reservation by myself, or I will buy the package of Dash Tour including ticket+hotel+transportation between hotel and the arena. With Dash tour, I don't need to do everything by myself, I can wait until September. Plus it's more fun to meet others fans at the hotel and go to and from the arena to hotel with other fans.
After the sadness of World in Boston, I become more realistic. I must not expecting Yuzuru will win every competition, it's normal that he cannot skate clean every time, nor he wil break World Record every time. I just hope he will be in good health, he will skate well, he will be happy with the result. He has said himself that "score is score, my performance is my performance ". He can not control how his competitors will skate, nor how the judges will give the scores.

hamaguri

Record Breaker
After the sadness of World in Boston, I become more realistic. I must not expecting Yuzuru will win every competition, it's normal that he cannot skate clean every time, nor he wil break World Record every time. I just hope he will be in good health, he will skate well, he will be happy with the result. He has said himself that "score is score, my performance is my performance ". He can not control how his competitors will skate, nor how the judges will give the scores.

Me too.

ETA: I must calm down. About Boston, i still feel some angry, frustration, etc.. I must refrain from posting about it. :drama:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.