Yuzuru Hanyu: 2018-2019 | Page 241 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun110

Final Flight
2018 celebrity twitter ranking in Japan
1st in male department, 2nd overall. All the other 19 groups/individuals on the list are all idols:laugh2:
Yuzu really has this magic power to draw people in, even people who were not into FS. There probably won't be another male skater like him for a long time, selling out tickets/goods at competitions/shows, reviving industry of Japanese figure skating magazines, or even impacting the economy of a city:biggrin:

https://www.biglobe.ne.jp/special/2018matome/yuumeijin.html

Imov

Medalist
The final lottery of worlds in saitama is out and as usual I didn't win anything.
Man this is so much heartbreak.
I guess I will just be cheering via livestream if Yuzu competes there.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The final lottery of worlds in saitama is out and as usual I didn't win anything.
Man this is so much heartbreak.
I guess I will just be cheering via livestream if Yuzu competes there.

:sad14: I'm so sorry... it really sounds like it was insane.

yude

Record Breaker
It seems Yuzuru was given an interview by "Shinken zemi" but I don't know when. "Shinken zemi (進研ゼミ)" is a correspondence education system using postal/parcel delivery service . Every month, teaching materials are mailed to students' home.

https://twitter.com/unicochao1/status/1072430557215248385

Here are some explanations on terms in the translation. (https://sho.benesse.co.jp/?utm_sour...ML1V56Eosx9xfVUZqlaognOR8grjHk-saAu-1EALw_wcB)

<Challenge>= name of the text book
<Akapen sensei no tensakumondai> = the assignment students have to do and return in the attached envelope. Akapen sensei is name of teachers who check and correct the assignment by red pen (Akapen means "red pen").
<teiki test yosoumondaishu> = workbook which has common exam questions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Actually I had been studying with "Shinken zemi" since I was small. I read a feature article in "zemi" saying it would become hard to balance study and club activity when you entered junior high, so I remember I was aware of thinking out the way I study, especially when I was in the beginning of my first year in junior high.

It was because I was determined to aim for world in figure skating when I was in the 4th grade (of the elementary school), and for me figure skating was like the club activity. I always went for the practice after school. Besides, I came home around 9 pm. But I didn't want to get lazy about studying, too.

However, I was still figuring out the option until the first exam. I tried very hard to listen to the teacher in the class, and I made my spare time for studying before going to the practice, and I fought off drowsiness in studying after the practice...Before exam, I heard my friends were doing "giving up manga" or "giving up TV", so I also did "giving up (video?)game" and tried my best. Thanks to that, I was able to get scores higher than 90 (out of 100) in all subjects, but I wasn't completely satisfied somehow. There wasn't time to relax and only difficulties were remained.

Then two things supported my motivation. One was timer. I intentionally separated the time, 45 minutes for studying and 30 minutes for resting, in which I could balance and concentrate.

And there was another one. My mother's words helped me while I couldn't help doing nothing. She told me "Is it really what you should do right now?" instead of saying "Do study.", she pushed up my motivation in most cases.

Moreover, her frequent words "Please be an adult has common sense." is still my driving force to keep balance. I am very grateful for her because thanks to her, I have been able to achieve good results in both studying and skating without cutting corners.

After learning how to balance in junior high, now I have been studying Information Communication(情報伝達)in correspondence education at the university. There was an option not going to the college, but I am a human before a skater. I want to acquire the common sense and other knowledge not related to figure skating. And I am also thinking about telling my experiences in the sport to kohai and later generation, so the common sense and the skills to communicate would be advantage then.

What I learnt from there ("Shinken zemi"?) was "overwork doesn't last". I realized that it was impossible for me to study hard after concentrating on the practice or keep myself away from what I liked, so I became to spend the night time for playing games and resting. But it made the studying time limited even more and I started to narrow down the problems I didn't understand, not working on every point.

Specifically, I read through <Challenge> during the break time in school in order to get better understanding in the class, and after the class, I reviewed doing practice questions before skating or in free time on weekends. If there were problems I could not get right at that time, I had read the descriptions over and over again and decreased what I didn't understand. But sometimes I was still too busy and the assignment was pilling up...In that case, I didn't push myself hard and tried <Akapen sensei no tensakumondai> first, and if I was able to solve all the problems, I could allowed myself to pass that unit. If I had wrong answers, I went back to <Challenge> and focus on reviewing. By this way, I had been trying to get maximum achievement in the short period of time.

This studying style of "narrowing down what I do" stayed the same before the exams of the semester. However, my time for studying had been very very limited so I started to take measures three weeks earlier than the exams, a little earlier than everybody. I mainly worked on <teiki test yosoumondaishu> and other practice questions, and I read descriptions carefully if I couldn't understand something. Repeatedly I tried the problems I couldn't solve and decreased what I didn't understand. In this way, I was able to reach my goal "always score higher than 90"."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was also learning with "Shinken zemi" when I was in elementary school, but it lasted only for about two years. As you know, studying at home is not that easy since you can be lazy at any time and there is no teacher to watch you. And I was a kid who was not thinking about my future at all, all I did was playing around with my friends until it got dark outside :)laugh:). Yuzuru said he tried "Akapen sensei no tensakumondai" first, but I think it is usually difficult because you can't solve those questions if you don't have basics. I am sure he was a smart kid (and he still is).

ankifeather

Final Flight
This studying style of "narrowing down what I do" stayed the same before the exams of the semester. However, my time for studying had been very very limited so I started to take measures three weeks earlier than the exams, a little earlier than everybody. I mainly worked on <teiki test yosoumondaishu> and other practice questions, and I read descriptions carefully if I couldn't understand something. Repeatedly I tried the problems I couldn't solve and decreased what I didn't understand. In this way, I was able to reach my goal "always score higher than 90"."

Given how competitive and hard Asian schools are, this is a really difficult standard to achieve with his skating competitions as well:eek:. But I feel bad as a fan for wanting to ask, Yuzu dear, did you also get above 90 always for your English exams ?:rofl: (mah.. it is usually written exam)

Danibellerika

Medalist
Ooooo Nam, I'd like to see a video of yuzu performing that:p
I had to google to see what 'one thousand years of death' is:dev3:

https://twitter.com/namnamnoodle/status/1074511463421698048

I thought it was 1000 years of pain. I guess he watched his fair share of Naruto. :laugh:

ETA: I just looked up the original kanji (as I only watched this subtitled back in the day) and yeah 殺し is what it is, not "pain". Learn something new everyday. Makes me wonder what other awakenings I'm in for if I go back to watch old stuff. :laugh:

yude

Record Breaker
Given how competitive and hard Asian schools are, this is a really difficult standard to achieve with his skating competitions as well:eek:. But I feel bad as a fan for wanting to ask, Yuzu dear, did you also get above 90 always for your English exams ?:rofl: (mah.. it is usually written exam)

You're right, we don't have speaking test for English in school and that may be why we can't speak English fluently. There is the test called "The EIKEN Test in Practical English Proficiency" and it is one of certifications of mine, but in there I usually passed writing test but failed in speaking test, like three times? :drama: I don't have children so I don't know how it works in school nowadays though, I hope there is some changes in educational system.

Danibellerika

Medalist
You're right, we don't have speaking test for English in school and that may be why we can't speak English fluently. There is the test called "The EIKEN Test in Practical English Proficiency" and it is one of certifications of mine, but in there I usually passed writing test but failed in speaking test, like three times? :drama: I don't have children so I don't know how it works in school nowadays though, I hope there is some changes in educational system.

Well from what I understand they don't typically design english lessons in schools to be used for anything other than passing entrance exams for college. If they aimed more toward practical use of the language it could help a lot.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Well from what I understand they don't typically design english lessons in schools to be used for anything other than passing entrance exams for college. If they aimed more toward practical use of the language it could help a lot.

I taught English as a foreign language, and, yes, this is pretty much what happens in some nations.

Not that it’s much better in the western world when it comes to other languages. One of the first vocabulary words we were given in Arabic was “differential equations.” We hadn’t even learned to say hello and our names yet, but we could talk about calculus.

yude

Record Breaker

Exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.