Yuzuru Hanyu announces divorce | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu announces divorce

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the translation of the press release provided by Olympics.com is questionable, I welcome any native Japanese speaker(s) who can provide one.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
It's not for nothing that most celebrities marry other celebrities, because this kind of scrutiny and attention is completely unfathomable and unbearable for "regular people" - Not that anybody deserves to go through this, regardless of how famous they are.
I doubt he and his partner had any idea of what was going to happen, exactly because they aren't celebrities in the classical sense, and because he's never had a relationship that was known to the public. :(

Absolutely terrible, and I hope they can take legal action against the tabloids, reporters and individual people involved in this. Unfortunately, from what I've heard about Japanese law, this behaviour, despite being appealing and having devastating impacts on the personal life of the victims, might actually be completely legal. 🤢

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have often felt like being a celebrity would be like being in one's own private circle of hell. Sadly my thoughts appear to have been proven correct in this case. I hope Yuzuru and his partner can now get some much-needed privacy, away from the media and crazy fans...

Chantilly

On the Ice
Might be naive of me but couldn’t they live somewhere else?
I know it sucks to be driven out of your own country but it’s not like it will be different with anyone else if he decides to marry in the future.
Japanese celebrity skating culture seems kinda terrifying sometimes.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Might be naive of me but couldn’t they live somewhere else?
I know it sucks to be driven out of your own country but it’s not like it will be different with anyone else if he decides to marry in the future.
Japanese celebrity skating culture seems kinda terrifying sometimes.
That's a lot easier said than done.

Chantilly

On the Ice
That's a lot easier said than done.
Yes I understand. I’m sure easier for Hanyu due to I’m assuming his finances.
But yeah it’s terrible that he can’t (and more so his partner) can’t even have a semblance of normal life.
The vitriol, madness and histrionics against his partner when the marriage was announced was truly disturbing.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These media people are absolute scum. Privacy is not a word they can comprehend. I understand that people have jobs to do, but do it the right way, not the rich way. He has every right to keep whatever relationship he's in private. Papparazzi are scum of the earth.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I said when Yuzuru announced his marriage that I hoped we (the public) never found out his spouse’s identity for the sake of their privacy and his spouse’s ability to live a normal life. I can’t imagine the stress this has put them both under, and I’m so sorry it’s gotten to this point.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If the translation of the press release provided by Olympics.com is questionable, I welcome any native Japanese speaker(s) who can provide one.
I don't have one, but from the Japanese speakers on my twitter feed (I just woke up to this) it's accurate.

I'm utterly appalled and upset and very very angry for him. Yuzuru asked nothing but to be allowed to live with his new partner in peace in the city he adores (and whose citizens I have no doubt tried their best to protect him as they always have), and to share his skating with his fans. And the *&$)^# tabloids and their contacts couldn't even let him have that. How bad must it have been for Yuzu - Yuzu, who overcame so many obstacles and hostility and injury and pain - to have decided now that it's impossible to simply give his non-celebrity love the life he wants to share with her?

I have no doubt that the carpers and the jealous are satisfied. I hope karma gets them all. And maybe the rest of the skating fraternity should be grateful for their relative obscurity.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm trying to recall a celebrity of any kind that had a divorce for these reasons. Can anyone think of one?

"Love conquers all difficulties, surmounts all obstacles, and effects what to any other power would be impossible." -- William Godwin