Yuzuru Hanyu withdraws from worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu withdraws from worlds

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I bet he would be a great ice dancer. However I'd see him in pairs if he decides to switch from singles.
Aljona Savchenko and Nobunari Oda have already evoked such a possibility, I suppose they know what they're speaking of, and his core strength and arms are impressive, but as Elizaveta Tursynbaeva is retired (and injured) and Alyona Kostornaia has grown, who would have both excellent skating skills and at least one beautiful ultra-C jump for side-by-side? I believe he would do very good lifts and throw jumps with any girl not too big (he even has the unusual experience of having been lifted by several Pairs and Ice Dance skaters), and of course all other elements, but what with twist jumps? A double twist is the minimum to compete (and it would be enough to win, with the ultra-C base value and more difficulte side-by-side triples, and a quad throw). Doesn't it need a tiny partner for him who's not very tall?

Magill

Record Breaker
Aljona Savchenko and Nobunari Oda have already evoked such a possibility, I suppose they know what they're speaking of, and his core strength and arms are impressive, but as Elizaveta Tursynbaeva is retired (and injured) and Alyona Kostornaia has grown, who would have both excellent skating skills and at least one beautiful ultra-C jump for side-by-side? I believe he would do very good lifts and throw jumps with any girl not too big (he even has the unusual experience of having been lifted by several Pairs and Ice Dance skaters), and of course all other elements, but what with twist jumps? A double twist is the minimum to compete (and it would be enough to win, with the ultra-C base value and more difficulte side-by-side triples, and a quad throw). Doesn't it need a tiny partner for him who's not very tall?
The tiniest I can think of is Adelya Petrosyan. She is just 1.40 m (4ft 7 in) in height, has two quad jumps, turns senior next season and probably would love to get some opportunities outside of Russia ....;)

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
The tiniest I can think of is Adelya Petrosyan. She is just 1.40 m (4ft 7 in) in height, has two quad jumps, turns senior next season and probably would love to get some opportunities outside of Russia ....;)
Thank you! I confess I haven't watched Junior skaters for a while. I'm really a poor FS fan. Has she a smooth glide and good skating skills and is she musical? I think that would be essential to skate with Yuzuru Hanyu.

Magill

Record Breaker
Thank you! I confess I haven't watched Junior skaters for a while. I'm really a poor FS fan. Has she a smooth glide and good skating skills and is she musical? I think that would be essential to skate with Yuzuru Hanyu.
Well, check for yourself.... she is also the first woman to land 4Lo (although just domestically, but still)

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Well, check for yourself.... she is also the first woman to land 4Lo (although just domestically, but still)
Thank you! Lots of two-foot, flat edges, crossovers... I didn't try to look the jumps closely. She's very young, I don't know what's only due to a choreography meant to improve the success rate of her jumps, or what could still be improved. It's not like if she had not correct crossovers, like Anna or Sasha.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Due to the injury of his ankle at the Olympics, he is still not fully healed and unable to compete. Kao Miura replaces him as first alternate

Source
I didn't know much about Kao, bur looking through rinkresults he seems to have fairly reasonable sp consistency recently. And added 4Lo to his arsenal.

The most important thing is to send somebody to help Japan maintain 3 spots at worlds, and I think he isn't a bad choice although I'm not sure about his experience coping with worlds pressure vs a seasoned senior international skater.
Still, the 2022 4CCs medal has to count for something, right? (Although Kazuki I think finished ahead).

Honestly I'm not sure if it's the choice I'd have made, but good luck to him!

And fast healing to Hanyu for a 2023 worlds appearance!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Thank you! Lots of two-foot, flat edges, crossovers... I didn't try to look the jumps closely. She's very young, I don't know what's only due to a choreography meant to improve the success rate of her jumps, or what could still be improved. It's not like if she had not correct crossovers, like Anna or Sasha.
In addition no idea of longevity.
Pairs is much more damaging on the body than solos in terms of throw jumps etc. At the end of the day, better to have a skater doing just triples with stronger skating skills. Even the quad value might not bridge that, and the injuries will be many.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
In addition no idea of longevity.
Pairs is much more damaging on the body than solos in terms of throw jumps etc. At the end of the day, better to have a skater doing just triples with stronger skating skills. Even the quad value might not bridge that, and the injuries will be many.
To skate with Yuzuru Hanyu, stellar skating skills are a prerequisite, be it in Pairs or Ice Dance. I don't think he would even consider skating with a partner with even simply good skating skills if they can't be mended before they start competing.
But it would be a pity to deprive him of any ultra-C jump. 3A, 4T and 4S he can now do in a breeze while sleeping and they're sooo beautiful. And he can adapt, as we saw with Sasha Trusova's 4T.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
To skate with Yuzuru Hanyu, stellar skating skills are a prerequisite, be it in Pairs or Ice Dance. I don't think he would even consider skating with a partner with even simply good skating skills if they can't be mended before they start competing.
But it would be a pity to deprive him of any ultra-C jump. 3A, 4T and 4S he can now do in a breeze while sleeping and they're sooo beautiful. And he can adapt, as we saw with Sasha Trusova's 4T.
The thing is, I don't think pairs is about the ultra-C jumps - even if Hanyu does them beautifully. And very few women have proven to do them with longevity - at the end of the day, hanyu is a mature skater, I feel being 18+ is a pre-requisite to have the developed skating maturity/skating skills - and at that age I don't see many with an Ultra-C element (except tuktamysheva - but I feel she is the wrong match in skating department).

Ironically, the best fit from my point of view - at least in terms of skating aptitude as well as jumping, would be Wakaba Higuchi. With some control/refinement she could be a great pairs partner - she has the 3A, the speed and power, and the deep edges. Both of them prefer Lutz over flip as well, and have pretty good jump takeoffs.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
The thing is, I don't think pairs is about the ultra-C jumps - even if Hanyu does them beautifully. And very few women have proven to do them with longevity - at the end of the day, hanyu is a mature skater, I feel being 18+ is a pre-requisite to have the developed skating maturity/skating skills - and at that age I don't see many with an Ultra-C element (except tuktamysheva - but I feel she is the wrong match in skating department).

Ironically, the best fit from my point of view - at least in terms of skating aptitude as well as jumping, would be Wakaba Higuchi. With some control/refinement she could be a great pairs partner - she has the 3A, the speed and power, and the deep edges. Both of them prefer Lutz over flip as well, and have pretty good jump takeoffs.
Why ironically? I have thought of Wakaba too, but the problem would be twists.
And they would need an ultra-C jump to make up the base value with the twists and maybe some lift levels.
Shoma too is a bit too tall now, and his jump technique is still questionable. :biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Why ironically? I have thought of Wakaba too, but the problem would be twists.
And they would need an ultra-C jump to make up the base value with the twists and maybe some lift levels.
Shoma too is a bit too tall now, and his jump technique is still questionable. :biggrin:
Shoma : if it were up to Carol Lane, he would be matched with Satoko for an ice dance team .:)