Yuzuru Hanyu | Page 265 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker

Magill

Record Breaker
Liberta has herself an ability to draw in very different styles, which she uses here quite to the point. She has posted a larger version of the right drawing:

Seems like Liberta, one of our favourite online fan artists, paid an in-person visit to Maison Kose in Ginza, whether looking for inspiration or just for fun, and posted a report, including some close ups of the three-piece Yuzu wore for the famous Sekkisei ad which is on dislplay there

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Seems like Liberta, one of our favourite online fan artists, paid an in-person visit to Maison Kose in Ginza, whether looking for inspiration or just for fun, and posted a report, including some close ups of the three-piece Yuzu wore for the famous Sekkisei ad which is on dislplay there

I suppose that the person to the left is Liberta's mother? I love her modern tartan kimono, over a delightful floral juban and this Hermès-style obi, matching so well the navy/rowing theme of the blouson worn by Yuzuru Hanyu in the GQ/Gucci photo shoot...

By the way, the carré/foulard/handkerchief with the same navy/rowing pattern as the blouson worn by Yuzuru Hanyu, is "of course" sold out:
https://twitter.com/c00_/status/1783793883744550942?ref_url=

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
This is a VERY difficult poll:
https://twitter.com/Alizarinnne/status/1783811089270018274?ref_url=

Let's "discard" his looks: beautiful as he is, I see them as an appreciable plus, rather than something essential.
But, his skating or his character? I admit that there are certainly people with as admirable a character as Yuzuru Hanyu, and we don't know them, because they're not the greatest of all times in something with some notoriety, particularly an artistic discipline.
So, it would be, because of his skating. I readily admit that I admire several rather bitchy skaters. But then, they don't skate near as well as Yuzuru Hanyu, isn't it because he has this so special personality? This "making lemonade with lemons", determined, perseverant, sensitive, affectionate, forgiving, generous personality? Even admitting that his mirror-neurons, his observation skills, his artistic and technical vision belong to his skating rather than to his personality, I don't think that they alone would have made Yuzuru Hanyu. Plus, I love his skating because it's wonderful, and I love him because of his personality. So?
It seems that the skating answer is winning, though.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Let's "discard" his looks: beautiful as he is, I see them as an appreciable plus, rather than something essential.
But, his skating or his character? I admit that there are certainly people with as admirable a character as Yuzuru Hanyu, and we don't know them, because they're not the greatest of all times in something with some notoriety, particularly an artistic discipline.
So, it would be, because of his skating. I readily admit that I admire several rather bitchy skaters. But then, they don't skate near as well as Yuzuru Hanyu, isn't it because he has this so special personality? This "making lemonade with lemons", determined, perseverant, sensitive, affectionate, forgiving, generous personality? Even admitting that his mirror-neurons, his observation skills, his artistic and technical vision belong to his skating rather than to his personality, I don't think that they alone would have made Yuzuru Hanyu. Plus, I love his skating because it's wonderful, and I love him because of his personality. So?

I saw this, and am still dithering even though in the end I think the skating would win, but his character - his personality - is part of what makes his skating so radiant.

Magill

Record Breaker

I saw this, and am still dithering even though in the end I think the skating would win, but his character - his personality - is part of what makes his skating so radiant.
I agree it is his skating first and foremost as this is, 1. his "trade", so to say, and 2. what sets him truly apart when compared with others falling in the same "trade" category. I mean, you do not need to have any knowledge of the field, any expert opinion or comment, you do not need to be aware of his achievements to realize you are watching a genius and be truly captivated by what he does on the ice. But as you get to know the field better, you only appreciate Yuzu even more. I have seen it so many times with so many so different people that no one will persuade me otherwise. So this is what comes first.
Still, having said that, I am also convinced that his personality is what is both radiating through his skating, but also the final factor that makes so many people stay so loyal to him, turning enchanted occasional viewers into true fans. I am not able to follow anyone who does not appeal to me as a human being. This is a decisive factor for me, and I guess I am not alone in this. I could - but I won't - name a few skaters whose unappealing behaviours off the ice effectively make it impossible to me to appreciate their technical abilities when on ice. And I guess I am not alone in this, either.
As for the looks, well, this is the cherry on the cake, right? Still, I guess it probably helps to attract to him younger fans who are more prone to fall for celebrities' looks than respectable ladies of a certain age :laugh: Yet, OTOH, his perfect silhouette is also a part of his skating's appeal I guess. He just looks so great when moving on the ice....

Last edited:

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I agree it is his skating first and foremost as this is, 1. his "trade", so to say, and 2. what sets him truly apart when compared with others falling in the same "trade" category. I mean, you do not need to have any knowledge of the field, any expert opinion or comment, you do not need to be aware of his achievements to realize you are watching a genius and be truly captivated by what he does on the ice. But as you get to know the field better, you only appreciate Yuzu even more. I have seen it so many times with so many so different people that no one will persuade me otherwise. So this is what comes first.
Still, having said that, I am also convinced that his personality is what is both radiating through his skating, but also the final factor that makes so many people stay so loyal to him, turning enchanted occasional viewers into true fans. I am not able to follow anyone who does not appeal to me as a human being. This is a decisive factor for me, and I guess I am not alone in this. I could - but I won't - name a few skaters whose unappealing behaviours off the ice effectively make it impossible to me to appreciate their technical abilities when on ice. And I guess I am not alone in this, either.
As for the looks, well, this is the cherry on the cake, right? Still, I guess it probably helps to attract to him younger fans who are more prone to fall for celebrities' looks than respectable ladies of a certain age :laugh: Yet, OTOH, his perfect silhouette is also a part of his skating's appeal I guess. He just looks so great when moving on the ice....
Speaking of his silhouette, do you think that it's purely genetic? Can't it be mostly the result of his way of practising? I think particularly about his waist. For instance, I have long wondered if artistic gymnasts and rhythmic gymnasts had so different figures, because those who succeed best in each discipline are those who have naturally this figures, or if their figures have been sculpted by their different trainings.

Magill

Record Breaker
Speaking of his silhouette, do you think that it's purely genetic? Can't it be mostly the result of his way of practising? I think particularly about his waist. For instance, I have long wondered if artistic gymnasts and rhythmic gymnasts had so different figures, because those who succeed best in each discipline are those who have naturally this figures, or if their figures have been sculpted by their different trainings.
I don't know, never thought of it really. I guess, it is partly genetics, partly training. :)

Magill

Record Breaker
As FaOI season is approaching in Japan again and the new shows are getting closer, this fan artist remembers the old time FaOI favourite, incomparable "Masquerade", one of my all time favourites, too. It's been 5 years already since Yuzu debuted it there... sigh!

Last edited:

Magill

Record Breaker
As FaOI season is approaching in Japan again and the new shows are getting closer, this fan artist remembers the old time FaOI favourite, incomparable "Masquerade", one of my all time favourites, too. It's been 5 years already since Yuzu debuted it there... sigh!

I must admit this fanart sent me down a memory lane as I really truly love Masquerade, a real rare masterpiece of skating. So why not call it a Sentimental Sunday then and post it here for you, too, to remember and enjoy? Here it comes, complete with 4K and English subtitles - so just remember to turn them on as Masquerade has truly beautiful and meaningful lyrics which Yuzu is so much in sync with.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
That's incredible! I suspect a professionally created and marketed game featuring Yuzu (or a Yuzu avatar) could be successful.
I would be very pleased with the idea, but I wonder, because I don't know if it would lead me to play video games... I've never been into anything else than Tetris or bubbles or the like, also solitary and mind-jong, and it was long ago. I believe that many of those who now love RE_PRAY, had never heard about the games featured previously, and are not very much into the games themselves at the moment, except for what relates to RE_PRAY, which by the way is a great achievement (bringing us to love this show with a theme/medium so unknown).
Of course, a number of real gamers are now Hanyu fans, or would be interested in such a game, but how many of them? If Yuzuru Hanyu does it though, I'm sure that he will succeed.