2014 Rostelecom Cup Men's Free Skate 11/15 | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Men's Free Skate 11/15

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
TBF, he did get a little red-eyed at nationals after the FS.

I actually wonder if this FS is kinda designed to push his emotional ARTEEST buttons and make him grow a little that way.

That's true, I forgot about that. But I guess that's the first time I've seen him cry as a reaction after he skated.

You may be on to something regarding the FS pushing his emotional buttons, though.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Lyrics for Voronov's early section:

This is a quad's world, this is a triple Axel's world
But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a transition or a spin.

He is lost in the jumps
He is lost in the franticness

Tavi...

Record Breaker
That's true, I forgot about that. But I guess that's the first time I've seen him cry as a reaction after he skated.

You may be on to something regarding the FS pushing his emotional buttons, though.

Yes, but you're right, this is a bit different than nationals. It's clear he's having a tough time right now. My sense was that he was channeling everything he had into that skate, just to get through it. He did a remarkable job, flaws and all, and I think the audience really responded (he did get a lot of bravos, right - I mean, that wasn't my imagination?).

Meoima

Match Penalty
Anyone tell me who choreographed for Voronov??? That music cuts is a crime on all levels!!!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Anyone tell me who choreographed for Voronov??? That music cuts is a crime on all levels!!!

Alexander Zhulin I believe.

Congratulations to Javier, Sergei, and Michal on their well-deserved scores and medals. ;) I think the judges finally got it right this time.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Yes, but you're right, this is a bit different than nationals. It's clear he's having a tough time right now. My sense was that he was channeling everything he had into that skate, just to get through it. He did a remarkable job, flaws and all, and I think the audience really responded (he did get a lot of bravos, right - I mean, that wasn't my imagination?).
One of my former colleague is working in Russia (Moscow) as corresponding journalist. She wrote to me on facebook that Jason was loved by the public! And she has become a fan of Jason.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
This: I don't give a damn what she says.
Not Oxford or Cambridge polite-style but isn't rude with ...

So, we both learned something today!

Hope you find that website useful, by the way - I use it a lot because I "know" several languages, none of them well. It has online dictionaries as well as the forums, where translators discuss difficult phrases.

I watched the videos one last time. Maybe you kill me ... but as an outsider I have a question: what made Voronov between two jumps on the ice? Wonder: would not be more simple to give the score only to jump and that's that? I fell asleep because I saw that nothing happened between two jumps

I think what Voronov was doing after the first jump was preparing for the second. He landed it.

By comparison, Fernandez tried to do some hops and steps between the first and second jumps, and he flubbed the jump.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
I think what Voronov was doing after the first jump was preparing for the second. He landed it.

By comparison, Fernandez tried to do some hops and steps between the first and second jumps, and he flubbed the jump.
And for this I ask: would not be more simple measure only jumps? Who jumps more wins ... never mind art and entertainment. let's just circus

And for this I ask: would not be more simple measure only jumps? Who jumps more wins ... never mind art and entertainment. let's just circus

I wouldn't go that far, but I would say that technique comes first. I would not enjoy a ballet performance in which the principal dancer fell down three or four times, however intricate the choreography was.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
I wouldn't go that far, but I would say that technique comes first. I would not enjoy a ballet performance in which the principal dancer fell down three or four times, however intricate the choreography was.

Of course! I love the jumps - IF skaters don't fall! But only jumping - it's a bit boring.

Kelly

On the Ice
Quoting multiple posts? Click the ["]+ looking button to the right of the Reply With Quote button on however many posts you want, & then click the Reply With Quote button as usual, then they'll all be quoted together:)

Thank you. I was looking for this answer also. I am very very happy that Javier has won his GPF entry.:cheer2:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I think you started watching figure skating just last year because of Jason? Have you tried to understand the scoring system? All technical elements are give base value points (BV), the big jumps being worthy of the highest values. The judges then give or take points based on the quality of execution, as spelled out in the Code Of Points (COP) system. The total will be the Technical Elements Scores (TES). The artistry is part of the Program Components Scores (PCS) which consist of 5 components, two of which may be considered artistry.

If figure skating is just or mostly art and entertainment, it would not be a sport, especially not an Olympic sport. It is a sport with artistry, with different degrees of preferences among the fans. Maybe you can try to broaden your appreciation to become a figure skating fan instead of just a skater's fan.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 265.01 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
2. Sergei VORONOV (RUS) - 252.00 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
3. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 241.23 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
4. Misha GE (UZB) - 238.05 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
5. Jason BROWN (USA) - 235.56 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
6. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 216.80 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
7. Max AARON (USA) - 212.60 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
8. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 201.26 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
9. Stephen CARRIERE (USA) - 201.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
10. Jeremy TEN (CAN) - 198.50 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
11. Ivan RIGHINI (ITA) - 195.07 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
12. Moris KVITELASHVILI (RUS) - 174.25 Free Skate, 2nd Copy

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I tried to view Veronov's program because I forgot it already 5 minutes later.. and having seen it 3rd time, I still don't get it.

Did he confuse the lyrics rule with now he can just skate to any musek compilation CD as back ground music that has not much to do with choreography? The whole thing is incredibly random...
impressive opening quad and a charismatic skater though.

Anyone know who choreographed it?

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
I think you started watching figure skating just last year because of Jason? Have you tried to understand the scoring system? All technical elements are give base value points (BV), the big jumps being worthy of the highest values. The judges then give or take points based on the quality of execution, as spelled out in the Code Of Points (COP) system. The total will be the Technical Elements Scores (TES). The artistry is part of the Program Components Scores (PCS) which consist of 5 components, two of which may be considered artistry.

If figure skating is just or mostly art and entertainment, it would not be a sport, especially not an Olympic sport. It is a sport with artistry, with different degrees of preferences among the fans. Maybe you can try to broaden your appreciation to become a figure skating fan instead of just a skater's fan.
Perhaps, in the future. If I find enough skaters to love skating .. De gustibus. There are many people who do not watch the dance in general but only some dancers. And I have nothing against.:) And the Point Sistem is a very complicated for me.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Just came back home. What a lovely event it was. What a good judging - cannot point to a single placement mistake, may be only too low place for Stepanova&Bukin. The men's event was a highlight with Javi being a highlight of the men's event. If he lands nicely his quads he can challenge Hanyu and Machida for real. He was so good and he received applause comparable to the crowd's favorite Voronov.

I admire how Sergey prepared for this event. He was not rock solid but he was quite solid and very fast. His 4t-3t combination is a masterpiece. And the audience enjoyed big time his second part where he became quite relaxed and even skittish. Well deserved second place. Alas, cannot say the same about Artur. I lost my trust in him until he shows at least 2 good international performances.

Michael Brezina was good. His attempt on the second 4S was quite powerful. I guess, that was his best skating since quite a long time.

Misha Ge was the crowd's favorite. His 3As were sort of fragile. That's why the audience applauded loudly after them. And his last part of the program was accompanied by the non-stop applause. I am quite glad he is a part of the elite group now with his 238 score.

With Jason I saw the same - that's his level now. As Mr.P explained it's all a part of the big plan till 2018. And he has years ahead of him unlike Voronov. So this year he is not ready yet to compete with "the big guys" in GPF. Next year, may be.

Kozuka's skating skills are impressive. But with 2 failed quads and a failed 3A we have not much left.

Others were, well, first of all my prediction game mistakes, namely Max, Stephen, and Artur. In fact, I bet on 3 Americans here and neither of them delivered points - may be jet lag?

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I tried to view Veronov's program because I forgot it already 5 minutes later.. and having seen it 3rd time, I still don't get it.
Did he confuse the lyrics rule with now he can just skate to any musek compilation CD as back ground music that has not much to do with choreography? The whole thing is incredibly random...
impressive opening quad and a charismatic skater though.
Anyone know who choreographed it?
I asked the saem question and got this reply: Zhulin. :drama:
Worst music choice ever of this season so far, maybe on par with Kanako's music cuts for her LP. :slink: