2014 Rostelecom Cup Free Dance 11/15 | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Free Dance 11/15

ElenaNikitaFan

Rinkside
I feel bad for Nikita. Viktoria looks terrible in techniques next to him. Her edge is so much visibly shallower. On top of that she has no personality and can't even pull off a generic not-in-character blues. There goes his OGM dream.

Hahaha, but HE chose her, so we shouldn't feel sorry for him at all. If any, only for Elena and Ruslan, because they had no choice!
I feel very good that Elena came on top! :agree:

Alba

Record Breaker
I don't know why they eliminated a lift in the FD. Programs look emptier and emptier now. Before 2010 there were so many wonderful combo lifts. I wish they could require at least two short lifts and one combo lift then get rid of that choreo lift/spin thing which makes no sense to exist.

I hate spins in ID too.

That said, personally, I don't think skaters should be allowed to wear jewellery at all. It can be dangerous if it falls off and they skate into it, and dangerous if they fall and it catches on a rough piece of ice.

But, I'm a guy that doesn't wear jewellery himself. So, I would say that! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

I'm a woman and I fully agree with you.

p.s. I always thought you were a woman. :biggrin:

Last edited:

BlackPack

Medalist
Hahaha, but HE chose her, so we shouldn't feel sorry for him at all. If any, only for Elena and Ruslan, because they had no choice!
I feel very good that Elena came on top! :agree:

I'm happy to see Lena and Ruslan doing well. I mean, how many times did Nikita trip/drop her? If Lena were Barbara Fusar-Poli, there would be no Niki left, not even remnants of his soul. :unsure:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Chock & Bates finally getting a scrap of NBC respect. About 1 minute of their FD was shown today. That's 1 minute more than at SkAm. :laugh2:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Oh, they weren't that bad. At least, Ilinykh and her partner weren't.

C/b had an enormous landslide here and its already an indicator that US may not have another davis in white in talent but to russian teams c/b may as well be davis and white. Then you add w/p and p/c and its looking awful.

elif

Medalist
sisinka do you think it is possible twizzles are level1 because entry edges not visible enough?

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
C/b had an enormous landslide here and its already an indicator that US may not have another davis in white in talent but to russian teams c/b may as well be davis and white. Then you add w/p and p/c and its looking awful.

Well, I/Z and S/K have only been together about nine months. Of course there isn't going to be much polish - those programs were probably created before the little things that work well together for each couple were discovered. Both Chock/Bates and Coomes/Buckland improved a lot over the offseason and it shows! I still think I/Z's SD is a better vehicle for them than their FD, but it's to be expected.

I think Stepanova/Bukin show promise. With Bobrova/Soloviev out of commission for an unknown period of time, are going to be duking it out with Monko/Khalivin for a Euros/Worlds spot - it's a make or break season for those two. And the other two are new, so I didn't have very high expectations. They aren't going to be as polished as a D/W or a V/M or a P/B, because they are new and still figuring out what works for them. I wasn't expecting fantastic (but I was impressed with I/Z's SD :yes:) and I see promise with the three from this competition (though PCS was obviously inflated for everyone in the final flight).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, I/Z and S/K have only been together about nine months. Of course there isn't going to be much polish - those programs were probably created before the little things that work well together for each couple were discovered. Both Chock/Bates and Coomes/Buckland improved a lot over the offseason and it shows! I still think I/Z's SD is a better vehicle for them than their FD, but it's to be expected.

I think Stepanova/Bukin show promise. With Bobrova/Soloviev out of commission for an unknown period of time, are going to be duking it out with Monko/Khalivin for a Euros/Worlds spot - it's a make or break season for those two. And the other two are new, so I didn't have very high expectations. They aren't going to be as polished as a D/W or a V/M or a P/B, because they are new and still figuring out what works for them. I wasn't expecting fantastic (but I was impressed with I/Z's SD :yes:) and I see promise with the three from this competition (though PCS was obviously inflated for everyone in the final flight).

I think it is more like six months together for I and Z and S and K - such pressure without B and S. It's too bad because the French, Chock and Bates, the Italians and the Shibs maybe can grab spots ahead of them along with W and P making it really hard for them to hold on to three spots forget about making the podium. They aren't even assured of beating Coomes and Buckland.

gmyers

Record Breaker

I/z and s/k can be given some slack because their brief time together could make tech levels hard to max out consistently so fast. S/b and m/k are a different story though. They get low tech levels either because of their coaches don't follow the rules or they don't have the ability to do them. Levels was always b/s major problem even with zhulin. So you have three established teams been together for years there is a lack of ability to even know what to do to get level 4. I/z and s/k are a part of that system. It's not looking good but I hope s/k and I/z can get good levels almost despite being russian teams. Morozov seemed to have ability together high levels but bad programs and dealing with I/k was hard.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Chock & Bates finally getting a scrap of NBC respect. About 1 minute of their FD was shown today. That's 1 minute more than at SkAm. :laugh2:

That's very strange thing. It's like ID doesn't exist despite the huge success US have in this discipline.
It doesn't make sense.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
No, it doesn't make sense at all to me, but that is how it is.

But at US Nationals, these days, ice dance is well attended-not as many full seats as for the Ladies LP, but as full as for the men's.

And the final flight last year was a great show :love:

Some day NBC may figure this out. This is a country where Dancing With the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, and, yes, Dance Moms, all draw a good TV audience. The US likes dance.

That's very strange thing. It's like ID doesn't exist despite the huge success US have in this discipline.
It doesn't make sense.

Plus, the U.S. doesn't really have anyone in ladies, mens or pairs to push. And Madison Chock is a number one glamour girl in addition to being a world championship contender this year-- just what the USFSA PR people need. If they were smart they would make her go on Dancing With The Stars like Meryl. :yes:

emma

Record Breaker
Well, I was disappointed that we only say a blip of Chock and Bates, I was hoping for more, like the top three at least! Here's hoping NBC will read some of dorispulaski's and others' posts!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Plus, the U.S. doesn't really have anyone in ladies, mens or pairs to push. And Madison Chock is a number one glamour girl in addition to being a world championship contender this year-- just what the USFSA PR people need. If they were smart they would make her go on Dancing With The Stars like Meryl. :yes:

Heck, for how many years was American Bandstand the show every red-blooded American teenager had to watch every weekday???

Not to mention our fondness for Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, and, yes, Mr. Bojangles. Or how Sway draws a good audience?

:bang:

BlackPack

Medalist
That's Dorothy?!?

Anyway, yes Madison is the homegrown Hawaiian beauty and Evan is the blondish tall boy-next-door - you'd think some NBC suit would have caught on and given them a nice fluff piece... but why are we surprised? It's figure skating! It was never the most popular sport in the US.

Anyway, yes Madison is the homegrown Hawaiian beauty and Evan is the blondish tall boy-next-door - you'd think some NBC suit would have caught on and given them a nice fluff piece... but why are we surprised? It's figure skating! It was never the most popular sport in the US.

In the mid 1990's figure skating was the second most watched sport on American TV, behind only NFL football. Three figure skaters -- Dorothy Hamill, Peggy Fleming and Scott Hamilton -- were in the top eight on the best-known athlete list. Even as late as 2001, figure skating was in the top four.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1786/more-americans-fans-pro-football-than-any-other-sport.aspx

As for homegrown Hawaiian beauty Madison La'akea ("Sacred Light") Te-Lan Hall Chock, they could do ten minutes on her name alone. :)