2014-15 Japanese Nationals Mens FS | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Japanese Nationals Mens FS

alebi

Medalist
No... now I want UNO not Mura to replace him... but my dream team was Hanyu, Uno and... MACHIDA :cry:

Perdita

Final Flight
Now I understand why he has been saying that this nats is very special for him, and why he chose Symphony no.9...
He always seemed to put his performance and season in his own mise en scene but, he really made a mise en scene for his career and directed dramatically how to end it. Wow.

inskate

On the Ice
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?! :shocked: :jaw: :hopelessness: :no:

I can't believe this! It seems he worked so hard on this year's programs. I just can't believe he would just give up...

I wonder if he's depressed by his FS performance. This decision seems way too sudden. :cry:

chezzu

On the Ice
Why do I have a feeling Machida planned all of this (well maybe not placing fourth)... oh so dramatic! :cry:

Perdita

Final Flight
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?! :shocked: :jaw: :hopelessness: :no:

I can't believe this! It seems he worked so hard on this year's programs. I just can't believe he would just give up...

I wonder if he's depressed by his FS performance. This decision seems way too sudden. :cry:

Symphony no.9 is known in Japan as a music to be played in the end of year. So he has already plotted this in the begining of the season and that's why he worked so hard on this, I think...what a way to end his career...

Lydia1703

On the Ice
What is happening :hopelessness:. I do not think Machida gives up, he just chose a different new path for his life

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
What? No, I wanted Shoma on the team!

Well it doesn't look like JSF is sending any of the juniors who podiumed to Senior Worlds (Wakaba Higuchi isn't going to be sent either, and so is Yuka Nagai).

I want Shoma on Worlds too but JSF probably wants him to win everything on Junior circuit first, plus it's not like the senior men's field is lacking (just yet).

Tatsuki will be missed. :(

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Well it doesn't look like JSF is sending any of the juniors who podiumed to Senior Worlds (Wakaba Higuchi isn't going to be sent either, and so is Yuka Nagai)
Well they can´t send Higuchi, she isn 13, so she doesn´t qualified. Nagai could go, guess they decided to do a solid for Kanako.

inskate

On the Ice
Reports on FSU say that Machida had troubles balancing his skating career and his life as a student. He wanted to withdraw from GPF to work on his thesis, but JSF didn't agree. :(

He was always talking about how important his studies are to him, so in a way, I'm not surprised. However, I'm very sad that JSF and/or his University didn't make it easier for him to balance skating and working on his thesis. :( Earlier in this season he talked about considering participation in the 2018 Olympics, so I think that despite Symphony no.9's symbolic meaning, he at least had in mind the option of not retiring quite so soon.

His philosophical approach to figure skating was a breath of fresh air. He will be missed :(

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Reports on FSU say that Machida had troubles balancing his skating career and his life as a student. He wanted to withdraw from GPF to work on his thesis, but JSF didn't agree. :(

He was always talking about how important his studies are to him, so in a way, I'm not surprised. However, I'm very sad that JSF and/or his University didn't make it easier for him to balance skating and working on his thesis. :( Earlier in this season he talked about considering participation in the 2018 Olympics, so I think that despite Symphony no.9's symbolic meaning, he at least had in mind the option of not retiring quite so soon.

His philosophical approach to figure skating was a breath of fresh air. He will be missed :(

Well is hard to do that.

JFS can´t control the ammount of time you need to practice for slite sport, I guess Machida could have choosen not to skate this season to concentrate in his tesis.
And Universities only offer extension in case of health issues.

leolion11

On the Ice
Tatsuki was never my favourite skater, but it is undeniable that when he was on, his programs were great. I'll definitely miss him. Most of the original Team Japan is now gone :(

Judging from the protocols, the judges seem to have been quite strict regarding edge calls. Most of the top men (except Shoma and Sota) got edge calls in their LP.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Thank you so much for the information.

juuryokunashi

On the Ice

I think that it was his own decision to not put his studies on hold or delay his graduation, and not his university and/or JSF not making accommodations for him. Dai and Nobu were also students of KanDai when they were still competitive skaters (and Dai, Nobu and Tatsu are all graduating next spring). For sure, if Tatsuki had asked, he'd be given reprieve or considerations if he asked for them (from KanDai at least; he's a prized skater and he brings honor and fame to the university); this only shows that he just prioritizes his studies over his skating career. (Mind you, this isn't a swipe at Dai and Nobu's choices -- different people have different priorities!)

Like you, I also got the feeling that he was considering continuing until Pyeongchang, but I guess his recent results in TEB, GPF and Nats must have driven him to choose his pursuit of furthering his education over his skating career.

I do hope he still skates on ice shows though :( Just when he was gaining momentum, he suddenly retires! It's very heartbreaking.