2015 Europeans Men's Short Program Jan 28 | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2015 Europeans Men's Short Program Jan 28

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Larry Loupolover ended 23rd, he'll join the free program ;)

yayy!! ;) sry, it's been a long day of watching men fall. Go, Jason!! :D
My bad, the unlucky 25th who has to be compared to Besseghier's meltdown is Slavik Hayrapetyan from Armenia, who had 3A<<fall; 3Lz and 3S2T.

Lipea

Final Flight
Sergei is very dependable. One of the things I like about him. He hasn't had a meltdown all year. His scores remain pretty solid.
Sergei is always a bit underscored. Today he finally got decent components but his GOE IMHO should have been higher.
I liked him and Bychenko the most. And, of course, Samohin had a performance of the day.
In general, we compare now not who was better, but who was worse... :eek:hwell:
So to not have a feeling that I wasted my morning I watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UlVeNEBFKE
and wonder when again we will have such technically strong, consistent, artistic, charismatic male skaters as Yag and Plush?

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Sergei missing 3A really cost him. Just on BV it's already a 5 point loss. And Javier's stepouts only cost him about 1 point each. Also, Javier got all the levels on spins and steps whereas Sergei got StSq3. And he had higher GOE for them as well.

Agreed on that, stepping out of a planned jump will never be as costly as popping one even if you land it clean.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think that Chafik in FS isn't fair, guys behind him maybe doesn't have such SS and other components but Slavik skated clean. I also think that Javier 8 points from Sergei is too much. He didn't skate clean either, but these 8 points gave him kind of comfort for the free program. And Javi seems not to be so consistent sometimes. There is always some small mistake on the landing.

8 points are completely fair. Javi's BV only was 43.25 while Voronov had 36.64. Add to that the components: SS, Choreo, Transitions (I'll leave IN and PE out) and the 8 points are there.

alebi

Medalist
yayy!! ;) sry, it's been a long day of watching men fall. Go, Jason!! :D
My bad, the unlucky 25th who has to be compared to Besseghier's meltdown is Slavik Hayrapetyan from Armenia, who had 3A<<fall; 3Lz and 3S2T.

I remember him only because he was the very first and I felt for an instant that I was watching the wrong competition :laugh:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Comparatively, talent pool from 507 million population vs that from under 36 million with their best on the sideline.

I was only talking about the enjoyment level. There have been plenty of lousy competitions this season (and not only this season) and I don't think this one is a disaster on par with some others. The scoring is certainly conservative, I think that's the main difference. People have short memories.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But of trivia re: Daniel Samohin. Just 2 years ago he was 4th in novice at US Nationals. Wow he came a long way! As for two of the three guys who beat him back then... :slink:

(The novice winner, Tomoki hiwatashi. Dealt with injuries last season and came back this year and finished 5th in the junior level at U.S. nationals.)

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Well, I'm happy with the placements as they are right now. So, if you all could do dazzlingly well tomorrow and keep your placements, I'll be a happy camper. Gambatte Euro Boys! -Sounds like the name of a pop-band in Japan. :biggrin:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Sergei only had one doubled jump, hardly a meltdown. And frankly, after watching Canadian Nats this competition doesn't seem bad at all, comparatively. :slink:

Please, don't remind Kevin or I'm gonna have a heart attact again...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I was only talking about the enjoyment level. There have been plenty of lousy competitions this season (and not only this season) and I don't think this one is a disaster on par with some others. The scoring is certainly conservative, I think that's the main difference. People have short memories.

Europe, as with the US, has not met with the Asian challenge so well. However, the US just had their best in years, in terms of enjoyment and optimism aroused. Some heartbreaks as in just about every event.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
So just out of curiosity, Kovtun got 98 in SP in Russia Nationals, was it so much better than this? Didn´t see any videos...

alebi

Medalist
In general for me it was not a bad scoring competition, I have to check the particular to make some remarks (Kovtun's quads, Samohin's PE... and very generous Besseghier's score). It was more conservative as gallavich properly said