2015 Europeans Men's Free Skate, Jan. 30 | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2015 Europeans Men's Free Skate, Jan. 30

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Well after reading everyone's comments I don't feel bad for not watching the event...
Anyway congratulations to the medalists!

Eloyse

On the Ice
That judge gave him four 9.75s and one 9.50. Javi got 24 PCS in the 9's out of 45. I love Javi but can't help :rolleye:

This inflation is too much, honestly, i almost want to make a complaint to ISU. Judges can't just hand out unreasonable scores but take no responsibilities, and in the end people can only hate on the skaters:disapp:

QuadThrow

Medalist
I don't think the problem is the quad, honestly. The majority of failed jumps are triples, most of the times.

Mmh, i am not sure. Most fails are triple jumps, because there are many of it=)

The Quad is real big and strengous element, the whole programme is defined by them. Every top skater is of the opinion that he needs the quad to compete with the others competitors. Fernandez, Kovtun and Brezina tried even three or four of them during this championships. And they all did a lot of mistakes. I think it is not worth it.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Javi, Sergei and Maxim are likely hammered after doing GPF and Nationals. So by the time they get to Europeans they haven't had much time to rest and regroup.

Rough skates by many of the men, but I don't understand all the negativity.

I agree. Particularly in Sergei's case he's been super consistent all season until now, and he did senior Bs so it's been a really long season for him. He looked tired today. It's unfortunate that nobody really delivered but to be fair, the majority of the European guys have always been headcases (Florent, Michal, and who can forget Tomas...). I still love them anyway.

Florencito

Medalist
This inflation is too much, honestly, i almost want to make a complaint to ISU. Judges can't just hand out unreasonable scores but take no responsibilities, and in the end people can only hate on the skaters:disapp:

There's just no reason for that.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
what an event, underwhelming? yes. still, congratz to the medalists,

Javi seemed really down, i think not because he had to sit there and wait for others but because he was upset about the performance he put out, i hope he wont be too hard on himself, and whenever he feels down he can always watch brian mimicking him during his performance :laugh:

maxim, also not good but i can see his improvement since the beginning of the season, he really tries to be more artistic and use his arm and upper body, i aprreciate it , but his jumping style is just not pretty at all, i wonder if his height is one of the reason for his bad posture going into the jumps :confused: and its nice to see his interactions with other skaters, maybe he isnt as bad mannered (sorry couldnt find better word, passed midnight here) as some rumors says, even if he was before he sure learning, i dont know, i remember parts from shibs video and he seems like a fun guy, using alex to warm up etc :p

sergei i dont like his programs this year but he seems such a nice and geniune guy, you cant help rooting for him, but at least he won bronze, michal on the other hand broke my heart :cry: hopefully he can do better at worlds

and finally i hope we can see Ivan and Florent at gala, i want to see their dance off, crowd would go crazy :rock:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I agree. Particularly in Sergei's case he's been super consistent all season until now, and he did senior Bs so it's been a really long season for him. He looked tired today. It's unfortunate that nobody really delivered but to be fair, the majority of the European guys have always been headcases (Florent, Michal, and who can forget Tomas...). I still love them anyway.
Sergei actually had a fair number of okay-to-good jumps today. Unfortunately, he made the second-costliest error on one of the easiest jumps: he singled. Add to that his lack of a sizable lead over Kovtun from the SP... (I thought he deserved more than a three-point lead, but as the protocols show, the judges were not scoring GOE with any semblance of reality.)

gmyers

Record Breaker
I wish Sergei could've been second but he did that single. I hope they all are rested for worlds. Of course there was no problem for the phenom ladies! Though radionova did tape her back.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
That was a very disappointing free skate. When was the last time that Fernandez skated clean? I can understand why he was so glum in the K&C, that type of skate will have him no where near a worlds podium. I was really shocked that Kovtun's TES was so high, so many of his jumps didn't look great. I also think the use of his arms is kinda awkward. After Javier skate, I thought Voronov had a chance of gold but once he doubled footed his opening quad, it wasn't going to happen.

My favourite performance was Bychenko followed by Ringhini. Very poor from Brezina, after everyone else failed to deliver a medal of any colour was his for the taking and he imploded.

Alba

Record Breaker
Mmh, i am not sure. Most fails are triple jumps, because there are many of it=)

The Quad is real big and strengous element, the whole programme is defined by them. Every top skater is of the opinion that he needs the quad to compete with the others competitors. Fernandez, Kovtun and Brezina tried even three or four of them during this championships. And they all did a lot of mistakes. I think it is not worth it.

Well, there should be a balance. 3-4 quads plus lot of triples are too many, but I don't like going from 3 to 0 quads. That's my argument.

Judges can't just hand out unreasonable scores but take no responsibilities, and in the end people can only hate on the skaters:disapp:

Childish people, yeah.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
maxim, also not good but i can see his improvement since the beginning of the season, he really tries to be more artistic and use his arm and upper body, i aprreciate it , but his jumping style is just not pretty at all, i wonder if his height is one of the reason for his bad posture going into the jumps :confused:

I don't think so. How tall is he supposed to be? He looks somewhere around 1.77m to me (should be something around 5'9'' guess), which makes him only a little taller than Yuzuru Hanyu (who has awesome technique) and even shorter than Joshua Farris (who has awesome technique as well). There are probably taller skaters with better technique too, but I can't think of that many right now.

kresslia

Medalist
That was a very disappointing free skate. When was the last time that Fernandez skated clean? I can understand why he was so glum in the K&C, that type of skate will have him no where near a worlds podium.
I wouldn't be so sure lol. Taking Machida out of the picture, the third highest FS score at 2014 Worlds? 167.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I don't think so. How tall is he supposed to be? He looks somewhere around 1.77m to me (should be something around 5'9'' guess), which makes him only a little taller than Yuzuru Hanyu (who has awesome technique) and even shorter than Joshua Farris (who has awesome technique as well). There are probably taller skaters with better technique too, but I can't think of that many right now.

i dont know, isu profile says kovtun 1.76 and javi 1.75 but in this pic you can see max is a lot taller than 1 cm, i am just trying to find an excuse that why he has such bad posture going into jumps and i dont even know why i try :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker

Well, Jeremy has a better posture than Kovtun, and he is tall.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
i dont know, isu profile says kovtun 1.76 and javi 1.75 but in this pic you can see max is a lot taller than 1 cm, i am just trying to find an excuse that why he has such bad posture going into jumps and i dont even know why i try :laugh:

Yes, I found a pic were he looks about 5cm taller than Yuzu too. So maybe he's around 1.80 at most - which means he's around the same height as Farris or (as Alba mentioned) Abbott. Both with good technique and posture.

I'd honestly just guess throwing his upper body into the big jumps like that helps him rotate them. Maybe a little like other skaters are using their arms too much to jump (and this is really just a guess, as I'm not that good with technique questions).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Imo, Boitano and Urmanov had better-looking jumps than Kovtun's. They're not only tall, but skated in the '80s and '90s. :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker
Jeremy's posture...is not ideal. But that doesn't mean it needs to hold a skater back.

Not ideal, but much better than Kovtun. I don't want to held him back for that, just saying that I don't think he has that posture because he is tall.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Geez. I actually managed to watch this (last two groups) with some friends, who don't follow figure skating, and I'm saddened that this was their introduction :disapp:

They liked Righini and Bychenko the best, but were unimpressed with the others. I think they actually preferred Voronov and Kovtun's skating to Fernandez :hopelessness:. Oh, and they didn't like Brezina's costume, but thought Voronov's was OK? I guess FS really is subjective...

I did perhaps persuade them to watch Ladies and Pairs FS (maybe), so all is not lost...