2015 World Pairs Free Skate March 26 | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2015 World Pairs Free Skate March 26

wallylutz

Medalist
So glad for Meagan and Eric that they won the title. Not the skate they wanted I am sure but enough to get the job done. But this was probably a lot closer then they expected so it might be time for them to take the title and run. They always seem to falter just a bit in the free skates at worlds. This year it worked out OK but not sure it will again - not with other teams catching up to them in TES. That was the one area that kept them above the rest.
I think if they plan to hang around for the next Olympics they might be out of luck. Can't see them hanging on to top spot that long and in fact not even sure there won't be a few other teams passing them by.

You make it sound as though it's a done deal all the top teams will be doing SBS 3 Lz + a Quad throw next year. If it were that easy, all the top pair teams would be doing SBS 3Lz by now. I hate to break it to you, this isn't men's skating where the men will try outdo each other very quickly and very few ladies who can do consistent 3Lz will put themselves through the complexity of pair skating: 1) Putting up with a man who will have his own tempers and often, not easy to work with 2) Ladies skating is a lot more lucrative if successful 3) Pair skating is far more dangerous than singles skating

And your gracious comments, thanks for retiring the World Champions before they even announce it themselves, how nice of you.

paircheck

Final Flight
I do!
Even thogh I was emotionaly rooting for Kavauchi/Smirnov,
I admire D/R very much.

Actually, I love watching D/R, P/T, and K/S, almost equaly,
because I admire Meagan, Quin, and Yuko.
They are very different each other, but all of them are so determined.
My respect for all of them:bow:( and their partners.)

:agree:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Both S/H and P/Z got level 3 for their twist!
:rock: Expected for P/Z, but S/H have gotten Level 2s in the past when they go quad. Glad they're now consistently getting Level 3s!

I'm glad that Pang and Tong got a fairy tale ending to their illustrious competitive career.

With them finally retiring, the 6.0 era has really come to an end. Are there any eligible skaters left who competed under the old scoring system?
End of an era... Legends. :bow:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The pair performances were really superb unlike a lot of disappointing ladie's competition except few nice ones.
I wonder why the threads for pairs are not so much popular. We can get a full of exciting and emotional moments in the events.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The pair performances were really superb unlike a lot of disappointing ladie's competition except few nice ones.
I wonder why the threads for pairs are not so much popular. We can get a full of exciting and emotional moments in the events.

Because pairs is dying! D/r are world champions because its hard to get skaters invovled in pairs now. Pairs aren't included in some junior Grand Prix! Sometimes competions don't count because not enough pairs from different countries. And now dr are world champions? Yikes. It's looking worse by the day.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
3) Pair skating is far more dangerous than singles skating
Tamara Moskvina disputes this. I think she may have a point, considering the longevity of a pairs career, versus someone in singles... Which singles skaters are medalling at Worlds at 35, or winning Olympics at 36? Not since the stone ages of the sport.

Alba

Record Breaker
Great competition. Chinese pairs were great, all of them, but the best tonight was S&H. For me they should've won the free, but I'm glad the judges went with them for the silver. :clap:
Pity for K&S and their gorgeous LP. I'm not surprised though. I'm thrilled for T&M and also for A&R. They gave their best tonight, especially T&M who are becoming a gorgeous Pair. Next year go for the quad twist and please give them 2 good programs. They deserve more.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think pairs is the least popular discipline with the fewest entries hence why it's the least discussed.

Anyway, I'm happy with this but I would have been happy with several other results too. I think the judging was reasonable and I'm glad that china got some hardware. Sucks to be the home country without any medals. Maybe Han in men can pull off a miracle performance.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Because pairs is dying! D/r are world champions because its hard to get skaters invovled in pairs now. Pairs aren't included in some junior Grand Prix! Sometimes competions don't count because not enough pairs from different countries. And now dr are world champions? Yikes. It's looking worse by the day.

They deserve the title even though I would be much happier if Sui/Han won the free.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Are we really blaming D/R for the demise of pair skating?

I think the real problem with pairs skating is it dominated by three or four countries. It needs more diversity. We need good pairs from Japan, England, Eastern Europe and Korea. The sport needs to be encouraged in smaller feds. They have Ice Dancers from smaller feds, why not pair skaters?

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I can now easily imagine in next years SUI/Han on top when they will bring quad throw also :dance:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Tamara Moskvina disputes this. I think she may have a point, considering the longevity of a pairs career, versus someone in singles... Which singles skaters are medalling at Worlds at 35, or winning Olympics at 36? Not since the stone ages of the sport.

The longevity is not due to it being less dangerous. And longevity is not the rule in Pairs skating. Splitting up and losing a partner, whether voluntarily or not, can and often does end a flourishing career. Longevity belongs to the few with strong skills and partnerships amidst fewer participants in this highly risky discipline.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Why demise? :confused:I think Pair skating is very much in good conditions.

Just a little surprised at something someone else said. Sorry. They were basically saying that the only reason D/R won was because pairs is dying.

I think it does need more diversity.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I can now easily imagine in next years SUI/Han on top when they will bring quad throw also :dance:

I see this happening; they are developing very nicely. But I do think diversity is nice and D and R have brought that. They aren't all athletic; they do have style and artistry , like I said Rodina and Zaitzev had artistry too and did well artistically it was just more powerful. What I do like about D and R though I do prefer the lyrical styles better is that they have a unique style. So many of them are co okie cutter - lyrical, pretty, graceful etc but really Shen and Zhou were somewhat copied in style by Pang and Tong and copied by Sui and Han and the rest. They aren't really unique. Still great to watch. I don't think the Russians can compete with this nor the Canadians. SUi and Han will only get better. I would love to see some other teams. Aliona might regret her decision to come back now. The Chinese teams look amazing and to think Russia was decimated with their top three teams out from last year and they still placed 5th and 6th - not that bad really.

Alba

Record Breaker
Just a little surprised at something someone else said. Sorry. They were basically saying that the only reason D/R won was because pairs is dying.

I think it does need more diversity.

Ah ok. No way Pairs is dying. There are many high level Pairs, and there will be more. And as much as I don't like D&R, they have given the contribution to the Pairs skating by pushing the technical side. Everybody brings what they have to offer and for that's big. Chapeau.

sses1

On the Ice
The results weren't all that surprising. I wonder if D/R will continue to compete after getting world gold, especially considering all the promising younger pairs. And for the love of god, someone give T/M better programs next season. They could be contending for podium spots if it weren't for these boring programs.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
D/R had a well-deserved win, but S/H were clearly the best team tonight. D/R still did really well, nailing both SBS jumps. An error on the spin and two hands down on a throw quad isn't too shabby.

Congrats to Duhamel/Radford! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

And so lovely to see P/T skate so beautifully in their final competition and pass the torch to a well-deserving silver of Sui/Han.

Duhamel and Radford deserved the win in both the free and long imho though I do think Sui and Han will beat them soon. I don't like that throw triple flip though by S H. It looks scarey. I feel happy for P and T but so so so so sad for K and S. They didn't skate well despite a lovely program- maybe the best package had they put it together. I love that there is some American hope in 7th!!!!!Though I wonder what will happen with Aliona and her partner as well as another more competitive Russian team in the mix. Nice work by the junior world silver medallists in eighth too!