Jason Brown | Page 202 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

LRK

Record Breaker
It's OT, but Johnny was stopped in the last day or so by 'What are you doing in Japan?'
https://twitter.com/midnight_kurage/status/603196269293633536
They asked him if he could do a jump for them and he said 'NO! I've just come off a 14 hour flight and I'm OLD!':biggrin:

I seem to recall them doing one of thos for Plushy as well (but you've had recent evidence of how reliable my memory is ;)). I don't recall them asking him to jump - I don't know if it was they or someone else who asked if they could follow him around for a few days, though... (He didn't seem overjoyed at the thought - he said something about their having to discuss that later, or something.)

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
I like the music from "The Piano" (depressing or not), has some nice nuances that I think Jason and Rohene can do a lot with. I suppose we'll see.

(I did see Rohene's video from U.S. Open Professional Figure Skating Championships - he's such an artiste. I loved his yoga poses on the ice!)
:) The Piano is NOT depressing...

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
And Jason's new short program is:

The Great Gatsby

I think it fits him, and he seems to enjoy it.

So, i am guessing he will have his combo in the second half. I think that will work for him well, he seems comfortable with it.

I think at about the 1 minute mark when Rohene says "wait wait wait" is where the axel will be, but that seems a bit close to the half way point, i wonder if it is planed in the second half but was early is part of the "Wait wait wait" part.

Also, I think that was a 2S at the start. . . . I wonder if he is planning a 4S rather than a 4T?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is probably an unpopular opinion but...

I'm underwhelmed*.

I mean, at least this one isn't as juvenile as Juke, and the music is more interesting. So there's that. But...a third jazz-themed program right on top of the second doesn't scream "creativity" to me, and I just know we're going to end up with yet another set of over-sparkled suspenders.

So, not feeling the love at this stage. I'll wait to see it in competition for a proper judgement. Maybe the second part of the program can win me over.

*Yes, I am aware this was a very new segment. I am underwhelmed with that in mind.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It sounds, and looks, at this point a bit similar to his last SP. But it's still several months away from being competition ready no? I'll have to wait and see. At least it's less screechy. That's a big plus.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
This is probably an unpopular opinion but...

I'm underwhelmed*.

I mean, at least this one isn't as juvenile as Juke, and the music is more interesting. So there's that. But...a third jazz-themed program right on top of the second doesn't scream "creativity" to me, and I just know we're going to end up with yet another set of over-sparkled suspenders.

So, not feeling the love at this stage. I'll wait to see it in competition for a proper judgement. Maybe the second part of the program can win me over.

*Yes, I am aware this was a very new segment. I am underwhelmed with that in mind.

I think you have valid points. My first reaction was "This kinda reminds me of Juke, odd to do back to back" so you are not alone. But I like the choreography a lot and I did not hate the music - which is good enough for me really.

And yes, I had bad thoughts about repeated suspenders, I tried to squash them, but well, I would not be surprised. Hey, maybe he likes suspenders, I can forgive that. Really he did look like he was comfortable with it and enjoying it and that is great from day one. The fact that it fits him so well so early to me is in itself a good sign.

On a more positive, or interesting note, there was some talk on the page about him using some finnstep/quick step compulsory... well steps in there. Did anyone catch it? Is it anything to comment on?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
He looked at one point to be doffing a hat - I wonder if they'll dress him something like the pictures in Skating magazine? Although those were probably more 40s than 20s...

Those fast side to side steps with swinging arms remind me of juke.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
If the team is putting a quad in the SP, they may be concentrating on that and not pushing into new choreographic territory this time around. If he can concentrate this season on landing a clean quad in the SP, then next year they can try quad + different style.
-Just a thought that popped up.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
If the team is putting a quad in the SP, they may be concentrating on that and not pushing into new choreographic territory this time around. If he can concentrate this season on landing a clean quad in the SP, then next year they can try quad + different style.
-Just a thought that popped up.

That actually makes a lot of sense and seems like a really great compromise between retaining a program vs brand new. Sorta keep the character but put it to a new story.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, when I saw this, I thought: Yessssss, Juke redux! No sorrowful movie music. And peppy Charleston like dance moves, and finger popping and head stroking, and I.am.a.happy.camper. :cheer:

And then I thought, but those who thought Juke wasn't serious enough, or too poppy, or too ....well all those things I liked ... won't be happy, and they seemed to be in the majority. I guess the fact that it is Great Gatsby lends it some gravitas that Chicago blues did not? (I hope, for Jason's sake).

I also unfortunately see suspenderology, possibly red and white.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So to sum up post in programs thread: Jason's music is Gatsby-style cover of "Love is Blindness" by U2 (from 1991 Achtung Baby album). AKA, not the movie soundtrack.

Basically similar treatment to that of Postmodern Jukebox, which has gained popularity on YouTube (and beyond) for its vintage covers of modern songs.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So to sum up post in programs thread: Jason's music is Gatsby-style cover of "Love is Blindness" by U2 (from 1991 Achtung Baby album). AKA, not the movie soundtrack.

Basically similar treatment to that of Postmodern Jukebox, which has gained popularity on YouTube (and beyond) for its vintage covers of modern songs.

Your sleuthing is impressive! I stopped after I got led on a wild goose chase to a high school orchestra.

I. . . kinda wish Rohene had not mentioned Gatsby though, it is not likely to be reminiscent of what anyone else is doing but people are already commenting on Gatsby numbers.