2015 Skate America Ladies FS Oct 24 | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Ladies FS Oct 24

Lipea

Final Flight
So Satoko actually got very high PCS if you compare them with Elizabet, who got 5 points more than Satoko on TES, but 9(!) points less on PCS.

artekgwent

Rinkside
What Lipea said is 100% true. The PCS are tied to the technical scores. You cannot compare a SS score from skater to skater because of that. If you want to think that's not how it's supposed to work, go ahead and think that, but all the way down to regionals it is absolutely true.
It's really more of a translation from 6.0. If the technical score is high and the overall artistry is good then PCS will be high and the individual scores within PCS are only a measure of what was best/worst for that skater. Just look at Mariah.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Tara looks like she's had cheek implants.

Tara and Johnny dishing on Eteri's skaters....Yulia and Evgenia don't ever look at each other or speak and it seems like Eteri favors Evgenia. :shrug: There's some gossip.

Really:rolleye:. I highly doubt that's true. Haven't I seen pictures of them together? Anyway, I don't know about Tara and Johnny as commentators. You'd think they do a better job based on their background, but I much prefer Dave and Jenny's commentary. At least they KNOW they're being snarky and own it.

I'm happy for Evgenia and Gracie. I think Evgenia will have as successful a season as Radionova's last year, if not more successful! I hope Gracie continues to compete well. The girl has so much potential.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Karen Chen is a throwback to the U.S. ladies of the previous era, aka Kwan and Cohen. Her spiral is to die for.

I feel like both Johnny and Tara are super bitchy, and not in an entertaining way.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That would be unfair. Medvedeva skated two fantastic programs, and that fall does not matter at all considering that she did beautiful 3F-3T AND 3S-3T-2T. However, she got fully punished for it - all GOE -3 and 1 deduction, so I cannot understand what people find wrong about it. Her presentation was at the best, and this program is simply breathtaking (bravo again, Averbuch), and she actually seemed pretty fast, not at all slow as people used to say. Her jumps are pretty high, and she has great transitions. Plus she did not come out of nowhere - Junior World and Final champion she is pretty high in the rankings, so she does have the reputation. If she would get a couple points less in PCS then Gracie should have got at least 1 point less too, so it would not make a difference in final standings.

Sorry, I should clarify, I personally would have placed Gold ahead of Medvedeva in the freeskate. Overall Medvedeva definitely deserved to win. And I agree, her speed is quite good and maintained throughout. I'm surprised though that she's getting 67 PCS right from the get-go -- I don't think any female skater has gotten PCS that high in their Grand Prix debut (feel free to correct me).

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Evgenia does a total of 7 jumps with an arm over the head LOL.

None of the performances were particularly interesting to me here. Gracie seemed quite held back. Weird little hand shakes in the choreography instead of bigger movements. Kind of stiff. She was trying hard to put all the jumps out there clean and she did for the most part but it needs more.

Still, it's obvious how the judges know "it is her year" (bleh). If she just does a clean SP at Worlds and then skates like she did today, they will give her the Bronze.

I agree bout Gracie's program needing more. Something is definitely missing. She is so focused on landing her jumps that she lacks expression and does not perform. It is very tense ( I don't just mean because it is Firebird, I know the music creates tension)but her body is tense and her face is definitely tense.
I am excited to see Ashley's response to 'this is Gracie's year' next week.

Last edited:

cl2

Final Flight
Also, I don't understand why people compare PCS of the skaters with different TECH points. It has been always obvious that PCS are in all the situations relative to the TES. So when Liza jumped 3A in Shanghai her PCS automatically got higher. Satoko's PCS were higher than her TES which says that her PCS were pretty good; they would definitely be higher if she got higher TES.

Do not confuse correlation with causation. You may have observed a correlation between TES and PCS, but it's wrong to conclude that high TES causes high PCS.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But the thing is, this is not actually supposed to be the case.

It normally is, though. Most of the time, the skater with the highest TES wins among the women with a reasonable shot of medaling. I can't think of a skater who regularly gets low TES scores and high PCS scores.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
It normally is, though. Most of the time, the skater with the highest TES wins among the women with a reasonable shot of medaling. I can't think of a skater who regularly gets low TES scores and high PCS scores.

OOhhh the Irony! Are you serious??? :laugh2:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Congratulations to the three medalists! What a great skate from Gracie! I love both of her programs! :love:

Julia smiled after finishing her skating, but that smile really broke my heart... :cry: To the best of my memory I have never shed tears for any other skater up to now. This sad piece and such heartbreaking ending are really killing me...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Another thing I was thinking about. Evgenia did two 3-3s in her program. I can't remember the last time I saw that; mostly women do at least one 2A-3T.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I think Pogorilaya at Worlds 2014 would resent this statement.

Julia has also gotten 60+ PCS for two bombed freeskates this year too.

Icey

Record Breaker
I actually LIKE this Russian girl, she just needs to stop skating through all of the movements. It all looks a little to rushed, and nothing is held long enough to enjoy it, for me. Very beautiful dress and other than the fall and the rushed feeling, it was good.

Well, she is only 15, so I am sure she will improve in these areas as time goes on. She certainly doesn't skate 15 though.

Icey

Record Breaker
I know Gracie will be disappointed about getting the silver but I really hope she remembers how great her free skate was and uses it to build her confidence.

It was a good FS, but I don't think it rose to being "great".

Icey

Record Breaker
What's up with those Gracie's cute little leg shakes? :laugh:
I mean, it's cool to do it once a while in corresponding position and pace, but she repeated that 3 or more times in some most awkward moments, it seriously looked like she was having cramps or sth.
It's a pretty, feminine move, but should not be overdone imo.

That's known as the chicken scratch LMAO