2015 NHK Free Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Free Dance

herios

Medalist
Yeah, I remember the Hawayek & Baker love fest and the statements that H & D will be dropped. Even in the beginning of this season. :eeking:

What is important for Madi and Zach that they are going to GPF and none of the 4 teams which finished ahead of them at Worlds: G&P, I&Z, M&K, S&B will be there.
And there is clearly room for improvement in the FD.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I think they got a 102 at SLC, though? That's what I have down for them on my spreadsheet anyway.

I'm really disappointed for them, but they did make at least one visible error.
I think there is no reason to be disappointed. As semoskt8fan already wrote, they got just over 92 at SLC. Plus, they were not completely perfect here. There is still room for improvement to this FD. And I personally was not expecting them to beat Bobrova/Soloviev - even after they beat them in the SD with a higher Rawensburger level.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting that the top 2 US teams got deductions for extended lifts. Mme Piseev did her job and made sure B/S made the final over Sinitsina/Katsalapov

caitie

Medalist
I think there is no reason to be disappointed. As semoskt8fan already wrote, they got just over 92 at SLC. Plus, they were not completely perfect here. There is still room for improvement to this FD. And I personally was not expecting them to beat Bobrova/Soloviev - even after they beat them in the SD with a higher Rawensburger level.

Yeah, this is probably correct. I think I got overly excited about their TEB success, and B/S hadn't had a great FD score at Skate Canada, so I thought they had a chance to stay ahead of them after the short dance. Obviously their scores are improving and that's good. It seems they made the right decision to leave DSC.

TY to the people who corrected me, I think I was looking at the wrong score -- the Shibs' probably! Doh. :)

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I forgot to mention that I think this generous scoring here at NHK comes in handy for the top 4 teams. It was at least seemingly shown that Stepanova/Bukin are not out of contention for the Russian Euros team, Hubbell/Donohue were marked as being at least very close to the world elite, Bobrova/Soloviev were noted as one of the top teams once again, and Shibutani's chances at coming closer to or even beating Chock/Bates were heightened.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Wake up to see the Shibs have won (No surprise) and Kevin Bacon team staying at home because B/S is in. Wow! I'm surprised here.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I forgot to mention that I think this generous scoring here at NHK comes in handy for the 4 top teams. It was at least seemingly shown that Stepanova/Bukin are not out of contention for the Russian Euros team, Hubbell/Donohue were marked as being at least very close to the world elite, Bobrova/Soloviev were noted as one of the top teams once again, and Shibutani's chances at coming closer to or even beating Chock/Bates were heightened.

:agree:

We'll have a better picture of how the second half of the season will shake out after the GPF. Though Pap/Ciz could throw a wrench into things. As well as The Battle Of the Russian Dance Teams.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Yeah, I remember the Hawayek & Baker love fest and the statements that H & D will be dropped. Even in the beginning of this season. :eeking:

What is important for Madi and Zach that they are going to GPF and none of the 4 teams which finished ahead of them at Worlds: G&P, I&Z, M&K, S&B will be there.
And there is clearly room for improvement in the FD.

I was one of those people that thought H/B would overtake H/D. I still thinking they are more talented but are prone to mistakes. And they were unlucky when she got ill unexpectedly. Who knows what will happen at U.S. nats though.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I finally watched the Shibs FD. I agree that it didn't have the raw energy in parts, like you saw at SC, but they really up the quality of the elements -- they skated bigger in those steps. So I'm hoping at gpf, we'll see the best of both performances.

Also anyone realized that Maia tried a half billeman position on that one lift, as opposed to the spiral we saw at SC? That's why Alex probably struggled on it, it's clearly new still. Trying to up the difficulty, I'm guessing.

Last edited:

Scovies

Final Flight
Also anyone realized that Maia tried a half billeman position on that one lift, as opposed to the spiral we saw at SC? That's why Alex probably struggled on it, it's clearly new still. Clearly trying to up the difficulty.

I noticed, but I don't actually like the change. Why do it? They got a level 4 on it at SC. (And honestly, it's actually a lot harder to hold that split position than the catchfoot she did tonight.)

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I finally watched the Shibs FD. I agree that it didn't have the raw energy in parts, like you saw at SC, but they really up the quality of the elements -- they skated bigger in those steps. So I'm hoping at gpf, we'll see the best of both performances.

Also anyone realized that Maia tried a half billeman position on that one lift, as opposed to the spiral we saw at SC? That's why Alex probably struggled on it, it's clearly new still. Trying to up the difficulty, I'm guessing.
Yes, you are right on both parts.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I noticed, but I don't actually like the change. Why do it? They got a level 4 on it at SC. (And honestly, it's actually a lot harder to hold that split position than the catchfoot she did tonight.)

I'm sure there is a reason. I think it will actually look super cool once they will master it. They are clearly chasing after GOE, so maybe there is a bullet that position meets.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Shibs!:love::love: Now please win Nationals! (USFS better recover from blindness & see the gold they have under their nose)

He said "tatiana and max, we miss you " (about volosozhar/trankov).
it was sooooooooooo sweet of them!

well Good for B/S!:agree:
my poor SinKats not in the final tho:sad21: but they have so much ahead of them go my blue eyed bbs will come guns blazing @ Nats! they'll have a battle with I/Z better to concentrate on that:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
:clap:So THRILLED to see Maia & Alex step up to the plate here and knock both performances out of the park. AWESOME. Very happy for B&S as well. They did not get the same draw as Gilles & Poirier. G&P went into SA with only one team seeded above them and into TEB without any teams seeded above them. Meanwhile B&S weren't seeded at all and had to go up against two teams seeded above G&P at one of their events and one here. B&S and the Shibutanis had a tough draw going up against each other in both competitions as well as against W&P at home at SC. This wasn't an easy berth for either of these teams, and they both earned it. IMO, this is also absolutely a win for Hubbell & Donahue. They qualify for the first Grand Prix Final of their career. And after their rough tenth place at Worlds last season, this is terrific upward momentum. The U.S. is deep right now. The Shibs finished fifth last season. That gives Hubbell & Donahue plenty of places to climb internationally even if they come third at Nationals. And as for the lost head-to-head against G&P, we'll see that at Four Continents.

This has been an amazing Grand Prix season. Five different teams with a Grand Prix win and still a LOT of questions to be answered at the Final.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Congrats to all podium finishers. I'm so happy for ShibShib's winning the title.
I also liked watching B/S's happy faces in the victory ceremony. They are good to be back.

We'll see all you guys in the GPF two weeks later. :cheer:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Bobrova / Soloviev, wow.

Just saw it on YT, this is fantastic once again. The expression, the choreography! He kisses her hand to symbolize their first meeting, he tries to hold her, when she wants to run away - great posture by her and the whole sequence on one blade, for a full 14 seconds - this is just out of this world!

This is what the judges want to see, no excessive two blade skating an there are no shaky knees in that whole sequence either, just look at Katja - how she holds a steady blade and it looks like it is nothing.

Then we go into the Tw element, clean and aligned entry, the second with the leg held, increasing the demand on both skaters and the actual "grab" it looks flawless and unnoticeable!
Again, we are talking about those "Easy" elements, while hard you have to show that you can do this, at all times, without breaking a sweat.

Going from hold into the open, back to hold, looks smooth, no matter if one of the skaters is skating backwards, not knowing where the other is - the blind understanding of both skaters is not from this world.

Then we go into the straight line, right in front of the judges, beautiful balance point, no movement in her, she is stiff - yet elegant while facing the eyes up side down.

Followed by a circular step sequence, constant dance hold, again, right in front of the judges, while then traveling to the opposite side, her expression and how Dimi does accompany her elegance and grace, so wonderful. The balance of that pair, is amazing, both are equally present on the ice and this is something that you must give Dimi credit for, Ekaterina is a wonderful and beautiful lady - not hard for a man to still be present there, but he is!

The alignement of their arms, the bows and desperate looks, especially by her - what a performance, they are these two people, they do not just play a role there, exactly what both said they want to present in their Ana Karenina program.

We go on to the curve lift, look at the look again in their faces, the expression, the strong eye to eye contact, held over the whole duration - talking about blind skating. The union of both is just great and then we have the rotational lift, it´s a fluent transition - the exit of said element, how Katja holds position and he puts her gently on the ice, such grace and flow, beautiful arm and hand work by her then she puts her head on his shoulder, to show that she feels safe and secure - all perfectly aligned to the phrase of the music!

The music and it´s soft piano - now takes a tiny break while performing the spin - again, what a choreography.

Soft strings now close the performance, by showing how desperate both are, but there is no future for them is there? The final pose, wow!

You can not dance better, you can not do it better!