2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies SP | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies SP

graciegoldfan17

On the Ice
So happy for Medvedeva, she deserves it.

The only woman to do all the jumps after the second half and with the arm, insane flexibility and great artistry and skating skills.

the worst thing is that she put her jumping passes on the 2nd half of the program which is not balance for the program.

graciegoldfan17

On the Ice
So many mean-spirited comments about Gracie. Being critical of her performance is fine, but the nonsense about how she has no future in the sport is not only rude, but false. She's known for her inconsistency, so what? So was Adelina Sotnikova until she won Olympic gold.

ETA: And honestly? Gracie's problems have vastly improved since last year. No falls yet this season! She's averaging about one pop per program, hasn't had her combo actually run into the boards this season, and hasn't had any major meltdowns. Yes, when she makes mistakes it's a shame because she's so talented, but to outright dismiss her is silly, and when people say she should retire or that she'll never win a world medal it really just sounds like they're happy when she fails.

That is a very good statement. She is now improving a lot from her previous seasons. You got the point!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
something interesting is that, it is so obvious and an known fact to figure skating professionals(coaches) and fans that girls consistency will change tremendously before and after puberty why they don't set the senior age limit at 18 (when most girl finish the transition) but 15. why 15?

treeloving

Medalist
Wow, this thread is so heat.

I am not hating the Russian, but for me artistically Satoko is much much more refine than any Russian girl completing right now; thus should get higher pcs. That say, I think Medvedeva has the best potential of all if she keeps her jump. It could be seen why judge like her.

Regarding the eteri discussion , Polina learn her technique from her previous coach not eteri.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Wow, this thread is so heat.

I am not hating the Russian, but for me artistically Satoko is much much more refine than any Russian girl completing right now; thus should get higher pcs. That say, I think Medvedeva has the best potential of all if she keeps her jump. It could be seen why judge like her.

Regarding the eteri discussion , Polina learn her technique from her previous coach not eteri.

Shame that PCS doesn't really reward what Satoko offers that the other skaters don't in terms of dance and refinement and execution of movement and even musical phrasing. That said, she did get lucky with those jump calls.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Why doesn't anyone here ever call out Satoko's coach by name when talking about her much worse technique? Does Eteri even do most of the jump coaching in her team? I thought that was more Dudakov's area. Adian's jumps look pretty good to my untrained eyes, so I don't get the sweeping generalizations. Or is there some fundamental difference between men's & ladies' technique?

Wow, so much hate on the coach with the 2 best ladies (so far) at this GPF, should I even be surprised?

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Maybe you prefer the timid types. I don't. Also her pedigree from the juniors is pretty outstanding as well. So all of this isn't coming out of a vacuum. From what I read here she is poised to do something not done since Yuna's first season. Speaking of which her arms and her musicality remind me of Yuna.

If you go by junior pedigree, a lot of girls could've would've should've been great.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Why doesn't anyone here ever call out Satoko's coach by name when talking about her much worse technique? Does Eteri even do most of the jump coaching in her team? I thought that was more Dudakov's area. Adian's jumps look pretty good to my untrained eyes, so I don't get the sweeping generalizations. Or is there some fundamental difference between men's & ladies' technique?

Wow, so much hate on the coach with the 2 best ladies (so far) at this GPF, should I even be surprised?

Maybe people are blaming it more on the fact that Satoko is rotating in her opposite direction. But then she did coach Yukina Ota and her jumps weren't that great either and injuries and COP killed her career. Though, she was an absolutely beautiful skater.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Honestly speaking, it feels like almost everyone from the Juniors nowadays all have 3-3, a pretty solid 2 axel, 3-half loop-3 combination, and nerves of steel. There's almost a ceiling now in terms of the tech for the ladies competition except for the occasional skaters like Mao and Elizaveta trying the 3a. In the next five years or so, it'll probably come down on whoever takes advantage of the COP points the most (whether its from backloading their program), or whoever is the most consistent competition from competition. In a perfect world, obviously PCS would be judged fairly and helped differentiate everyone, but it seemed like the judges just gives PCS to whoever has been the most consistent.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmmmmm. Evgenia is having a Lipnitskaya 13-14 season.

I wonder how she will change a year later, considering how skinny she is now. She will definitely not be able to maintain that weight...

As for Eteri, she probably doesn't care because she already has another in line at the Russian factory: Polina Tsurkaya...

We shall see. Elena retained her jumps after growing and filling out a bit. You just never know.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shame that PCS doesn't really reward what Satoko offers that the other skaters don't in terms of dance and refinement and execution of movement and even musical phrasing. That said, she did get lucky with those jump calls.

I actually thought her PCS was pretty spot on today. Other than judge no.2 for Mao (gave 9.75 for INT and OTHER ~9.5's) no judges really gave out anything over 9 and most scores were 8.75 and down for the whole field. Satoko's strength is INT and P/E and they scored it the highest at ~8.5 each. I'm always saying her skating skills are decent but really she is just interpreting over steps that are less complex and demanding than the rest of the field. I wouldn't put her SS at the top of considering the competition but they scored within a point of the best in the field today. If everyone else is getting marks of mostly 8.75 than I think Satoko is about right where she should be although I'd support her P/E and INT being at 9.0 relative to the way the field was scored. But not until her TES is called correctly:biggrin:

Obviously YMMV but she could easily be back another 4-5 points had her jumps been called more strict. I think the video demonstrates that possibility pretty clear. That's why I'm not ready to get on board with her team of supporters claiming she is underscored. To me...I think the exact opposite is the case with all things considered. I'm not even going to address the two +2 GOE marks she got for her 2a.

By the way.... You have the best avatar :points:

Last edited:

Vili67

On the Ice
(I looooooove Elena's programs. See my avatar.)[/QUOTE]

And what a lovely avatar it is :luv17:
I love Elena's programs too

andromache

Record Breaker

If Satoko's coach were to coach another girl with tiny, pre-rotated jumps, then there would probably be a LOT of call outs about poor technique training. As it is, we don't know if Satoko is an anomaly or a product of bad technique. I think the concerns over Evgenia's technique are A) because her technique doesn't appear to be very solid, but only time will tell, but mostly B) because Yulia's technique didn't seem solid, and it has not held up. Yulia set the precedent for concern over Eteri's technique, I believe. But I really hope Evgenia doesn't struggle too much in the future, because she is a wonderful talent that has a lot of time to develop into something even better.

Also, who else in this event is Eteri coaching? She doesn't coach any of the other ladies at GPF as far as I know.

AprilS

On the Ice
If Satoko's coach were to coach another girl with tiny, pre-rotated jumps, then there would probably be a LOT of call outs about poor technique training. As it is, we don't know if Satoko is an anomaly or a product of bad technique. I think the concerns over Evgenia's technique are A) because her technique doesn't appear to be very solid, but only time will tell, but mostly B) because Yulia's technique didn't seem solid, and it has not held up. Yulia set the precedent for concern over Eteri's technique, I believe. But I really hope Evgenia doesn't struggle too much in the future, because she is a wonderful talent that has a lot of time to develop into something even better.

Also, who else in this event is Eteri coaching? She doesn't coach any of the other ladies at GPF as far as I know.

Actually, I've thought for a while that Satoko's coach is a really bad jump coach. I think Satoko's jumps are the worst case, but Hamada's students include:
- Yukina Ota (UR problems galore)
- Yuna Shiraiwa (tiny jumps, I have to wonder whether she'll keep then as she grows)
- Marin Honda (has that weird toe-picking technique where she looks like she rolls off her toe-pick in her lutzs and flips instead of vaulting off)
- Mariko Kihara (low jumps, haven't watched her enough to see if she has any other jump issues)

I think that's why her team hired Yamato as a jump coach?

mikeko666

Final Flight
Actually, I've thought for a while that Satoko's coach is a really bad jump coach. I think Satoko's jumps are the worst case, but Hamada's students include:
- Yukina Ota (UR problems galore)
- Yuna Shiraiwa (tiny jumps, I have to wonder whether she'll keep then as she grows)
- Marin Honda (has that weird toe-picking technique where she looks like she rolls off her toe-pick in her lutzs and flips instead of vaulting off)
- Mariko Kihara (low jumps, haven't watched her enough to see if she has any other jump issues)

I think that's why her team hired Yamato as a jump coach?

Also Aki Sawada, who couldn't survive her puberty.