2016 Europeans Men Free Skate | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2016 Europeans Men Free Skate

carmen7077

On the Ice
Javier improved a lot during the season, but he just does not deserve at all that HUGE score.

Remember how everybody anticipate the next 300 before sochi and getting a 10 in pcs was like wow! what a great performance. His performance just humuliated 300 and 10.00

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have already alluded to this in a previous post. And so did Procrastinator in this post.

But, all the conspiracy theorists are more interested in debating the judging of the FS. So, I will bring it up again in, and display it in a table to make it more obvious.

SP
FS
Total
Maxim Kovtun
Florent Amodio
Difference

The reason Florent did not get onto the podium was because he was nearly 10 points behind Kovtun in the SP!!!

Simple as that! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

Math is the answer to everything!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I have already alluded to this in a previous post. And so did Procrastinator in this post.

But, all the conspiracy theorists are more interested in debating the judging of the FS. So, I will bring it up again in, and display it in a table to make it more obvious.

SP
FS
Total
Maxim Kovtun
Florent Amodio
Difference

The reason Florent did not get onto the podium was because he was nearly 10 points behind Kovtun in the SP!!!

Simple as that! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

People aren't saying that Kovtun beat him in FS, they are saying Kovtun shouldn't get higher PCS than Amodio when his last GP FS he got 5PCS lower and in this one he fell and skated slowly holding his hip for like 10 seconds missing all of his choreo during that time. Or well, at least I'm saying this.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Javier improved a lot during the season, but he just does not deserve at all that HUGE score.

Remember how everybody anticipate the next 300 before sochi and getting a 10 in pcs was like wow! what a great performance. His performance just humuliated 300 and 10.00

Sadly I agree & I love Javi. It does put a damper on things - how much more exciting it would have been for him to break 300 with an amazing clean performance. Inflation at Nationals is one thing, but this is a scary precedent...anyway, he was still GREAT, just not 300+ great.

Luna Cat

Rinkside
People aren't saying that Kovtun beat him in FS, they are saying Kovtun shouldn't get higher PCS than Amodio when his last GP FS he got 5PCS lower and in this one he fell and skated slowly holding his hip for like 10 seconds missing all of his choreo during that time. Or well, at least I'm saying this.

I also think that Amodio only lost because Kovtun gets incredible PCS for his free program. If he got the same PCS as in GP FS (when he had no falls ...) he would be 4th ...

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Sadly I agree & I love Javi. It does put a damper on things - how much more exciting it would have been for him to break 300 with an amazing clean performance. Inflation at Nationals is one thing, but this is a scary precedent...anyway, he was still GREAT, just not 300+ great.

Yeah, the score inflation is getting out of hand and I really don't see a reason for it. Even his 106 TES is a joke with a fall and messy landings. Clean he'd get 115?

whatif

Medalist
I have a game. After seeing what's given to Kovtun for his PCS, what will Medvedeva get tmw?

And what one has to do with other except for nationality. Why not compare to Fernandez or Cappellini/Lanotte. Your blatant xenophobia can not be any more obvious.

carmen7077

On the Ice
Who else can have a bunch of 10.00s when you got a fall and major step outs in your program. Obviously only javier fernandez can do the magic.
WOW

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
I don't see how Javi got a 200. 190 at best. Choreography is nice, but it's easy and frankly the music he has is easy to choreograph. His skating skills are NOT of a Patrick Chan or Denis Ten. Interpretation... I'll give him that. Performance Execution was not good either. 106 in TES? A fall on the axel, messy 4T which IMO should've been called UR and a messy landing on the loop. His spins make me cringe as they are SO labored, especially the last one. But congratz to him for his 4th win!! Really does deserve it.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Well Javi is THE undisputed top man in Europe though, and this is Europeans... I don't agree with his scores either, but let's wait if being in the same comp with Yuzu outside of Europe won't actually get his scores down a bit again.

I'm so impressed with him adding that 2nd 3A though! He has so much more fight and determination this season, and that makes me so happy! Hopefully he'll manage his new layouts at worlds :love:

He has become a better competitor. :yes: I like that he has taken the strategy of upgrading his technical difficulty (2 quad SP; 3 quad, 2 3As FP) to stay competitive with Yuzuru than rely on the latter making mistakes.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Florent and Javi had great skates. Though well, as much as I'm a fan of him, that FS score was too high. Sure, nobody was going to catch up on him after the SP but he still had some considerable mistakes. But well, I think that, when he competes against the likes of Yuzuru and Patrick, mistakes like those will be more costly for him. Florent's FS was incredible as well, and after Kovtun skated I thought he would be on the podium. It was still an amazing last skate :yes:

blackey

On the Ice
I don't see how Javi got a 200. 190 at best. Choreography is nice, but it's easy and frankly the music he has is easy to choreograph. His skating skills are NOT of a Patrick Chan or Denis Ten. Interpretation... I'll give him that. Performance Execution was not good either. 106 in TES? A fall on the axel, messy 4T which IMO should've been called UR and a messy landing on the loop. His spins make me cringe as they are SO labored, especially the last one. But congratz to him for his 4th win!! Really does deserve it.

totally agree. I guess ISU is just urge to find someone could get close score with hanyu. Hanyu is already 330 that everybody else is still below 300, and he seems still want to add another quad. ISU probably is worried about it's gonna be too boring? since it's gonna be hanyu vs himself. I don't think Chan even has the chance to get 300 if he doesn't do 4s. I have to say I'm a little bit worried about the "quad battle" now, with all these crazy scores, Jin, Uno and maybe Ten will soon break 300. TES is weight way too much than PCS for next 2 years, don't know if 2018 olympics gonna be crazy...

gmyers

Record Breaker
Grotesque how kovtun robbed amodio! And that he was the highest russian. No one is worse in history of men's champions of Russia/soviet union.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Mikhail is a real talent. I find he has great postures and lines, even though the program does not showcase them as much as it would in a lyrical and emotional program. His basics are very solid and his performance qualities are never reduced by technical burden, or crowds' overwhelming reaction from a previous performer (Florent). Mikhail and Deniss are my new favorites from this event.

Its so sad Russia is placing kolyada second to kovtun.

adelia

Record Breaker
Platitude of the day: Mishin can teach triple axel all right.
Mishin didn't teach him the 3A. Mishina and Tataurov did. Sasha already had all his triples by the time Mishin started coaching him.

If they let him, you know. I don't think he has a say in music choices at the moment.
FYI they've let him choose his music before. This season's music was offered to him and he liked it very much so they went with it.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
They clearly just give out GOE by favouritism, they never followed the "guidelines". I seriously demand that they write a report after every competition in which the justification of the given GOE is stated. Like based on which bullet points does the skater fulfils that earns him/her the amount of GOE.

I score GOE myself for certain performances based on the bullet points and I never find myself disagreeing with the judges. On PCS, yes, but GOEs have always been fair. Two exceptions that come to mind are V/T hand down on throw loop in sochi and Javi's 4T today that should have been -1.

Procrastinator

On the Ice

Where would you have taken the points away? The GOEs were all earned and he was deducted appropriately on everything but the 4T. That would only be two points.

As for PCS, he should objectively be in the 9s on everything except perhaps SS. The routine is extremely well-choreographed and nuanced, and he performs it exceptionally. It's not "easy" choreography and since when was it a valid criticism to say the music is easy to choreograph? As if that gives him some secret advantage no one else has access to!