2016 Four Continents Free Dance | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Free Dance

lyndichee

Medalist
W/P got a level one on their rotational lift? Wow. I need to see this performance.

Andrew stumbled :sad4:

I think it's just a bad competition for Weaver/Poje. Boston will be closer to home and hopefully this will motivate them.

katha

On the Ice
Never say never. I guess they have to come with a positive romantic choreo in both of their programs to win hearts again. I have a feeling their FD this season is a bit too low key and I personally can't go with it. There is a lot of quality and connection in their skating but it just lacks in choreo ideas- or so it seems to me. I bet they still have a chance to win big in upcoming seasons.
I'm a skeptic of that program, but I don't even think it's the program. Compared to the Shibs you clearly saw that, no matter if you like it or not, their FD is complex and interesting in a way Fix You for all its crowd pleasing just isn't IMO. And so in my opinion they rightly win PCS when they skate it well. But here: That was a trainwreck tbh. That was like Chock/Bates yesterday, totally choking under pressure. Or at least it looked like it. C/B had a chance to redeem themselves today, WeaPo floundered in the FD and there's no redemption for that. They need to nail it at Worlds. They need to produce two clean and powerful performances.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
So proud of the ShibSibs!!! I agree that it wasn't their best performance of that program, but they executed when it counted and earned their title.

What this competition proved to me that whoever wins Worlds will be the one who hits technically, regardless of prior placements. Predictions will be tough - I think anybody from this podium or the Euros podium could place top 3 at Worlds.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
...something you want to get off your chest?

Honestly, I'm no ice dance expert. But even if the judges weren't harsh on W/P they certainly weren't lenient?
I'd say the judges were lenient, the tech panel not so much. I mean, they got the highest PCS and good GOE's for a flawed skate? They were supposed to win this, so much is clear to me.

...something you want to get off your chest?

Honestly, I'm no ice dance expert. But even if the judges weren't harsh on W/P they certainly weren't lenient?

You might get everything on the first level, as most north americans.
Given they gave them clean performance's PCS, they were. It kept HD, who worked as hard and are IMO on par with WP in general skating wise, off the podium so here, when they were clearly better.

But yeah, canadians never admit they are cheating as badly as the russians.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
nah HD with their meh FD with wings in 3rd would have been :palmf: to me

ice dance will be probably the most interesting thing to watch at Worlds, because - aside of all conspiracy theories, bonus points World being in US fro US teams, Shibutanis set to win etc etc - judges for me don't know what they want to be honest. It all depends on panel/levels called/execution AND DRAW. One time they are cold towards some team, another - it is all fantastic this season I feel.

Then, Chock/Bates were on low-rise course all season long, WeaPo are slowly descending (or not), Papadakis/Cizeron has shown once internationally and then grabbed 111+ in FD and 70+ in SD (the fresh factor is there and surely they will improve, especially in SD), Shibutanis getting stronger and stronger (but PCS is not quite there yet), Cappellini/Lanotte and Bobrova/Soloviev are totally dark horses at this point - they can only benefit from others' mistakes I think when sharp and clean...

Ay mijjjaaaaa...

Plisskin

Medalist
I don't think Chock and Bate's FD is ill suiting. I think the problem with their FD this year is that Igor changed it way too many times...

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The podium is so tiny.:biggrin:

Yeah, they need the Youth Olympic podium! :biggrin:

And that shot from behind the podium during the National Anthem just showed why I always say the flags should be behind the podium, not in front of it.

Because they are keeping the protocol of having 2nd to the right of the winner, we have ended up with the Canadian Flag opposite Chock / Bates, and an American flag opposite Weaver / Poje.

Well, I suppose it was right for Kaitlyn, but you know what I mean!

If the flags had been behind the podium, they would have been in line with the right people.

CaroLiza_fan

begin

Medalist
I'd say the judges were lenient, the tech panel not so much. I mean, they got the highest PCS and good GOE's for a flawed skate? They were supposed to win this, so much is clear to me.

All true. I might be biased as a Kaitlyn fan because I feel most of their PCS were deserved lol.

Dots

Final Flight
The take aways from this are that 1) the US can potentially have two medals at worlds 2) Euros scores were indeed a joke 3) with Papadakis/Cziceron in the mix again Cappellini/Lanotte are going to be dumped, probably behind Hubbell/Donohue and Brobova/Soloviev 4) The US could potentially have three teams in the top 5.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The problem with C/B's Rach is that they interpret it like almost every other FD they've ever done and Igor's choreography with the usual Madi touching Evan's face a thousand times and arm raising and Evan disappearing to the background can't be hidden as well as it did with more jumpy music like American in Paris.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Oh my! What happened to Kaitlyn & Andrew levels? I never thought even Piper and Paul can beat them in tech with their non-level 4 step sequences.

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA 181.62 1 1 video
2 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA 174.64 4 2 video
3 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 173.85 2 4 video
4 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA 172.29 3 3 video
5 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 162.19 5 5 video
6 Elisabeth PARADIS / Francois-Xavier OUELLETTE CAN 146.94 6 7 video

Cleo

On the Ice
SMH at the one judge who only gave the Shibs a +2 on their Twizzles... :laugh: (they got +3 GOE from every other judge!)

I'm wondering how W/P got positive GOE for their twizzles when Andrew was losing balance all over the place. GOE too high for a very flawed performance. I like them (not their programs this year however), but they should have finished behind Hubbell & Donohue today.

Very happy for the Shibs - two wins in a row, richly deserved.:yes2:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Happy for the Shibs, but they didn't seem totally happy with their performance and they did seem a bit tired. Hopefully they will be refreshed for Worlds! Sad for Weapo, it wasn't their day. I liked C&B much more than I expected...

Giselle

Medalist
The problem with C/B's Rach is that they interpret it like almost every other FD they've ever done and Igor's choreography with the usual Madi touching Evan's face a thousand times and arm raising and Evan disappearing to the background can't be hidden as well as it did with more jumpy music like American in Paris.

Don't forget the part where Evan grabs Madison's neck and she leans down or when she jumps and does a split before a step sequence. Igor is a great coach but his choreo is SO predictable! I would have loved to see Antonio Najarro's original FD choreo for Chock/Bates.