2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I see they are already nearly down to the last 100 all-event tickets in the lower part of the arena.
No "Ice level 1" seats left, only "Ice level 2" further back... and then there are the balcony seats.

I've noticed some previously-sold seats occasionally become available again though, so I guess people can cancel/return their tickets, and free up their seats again for others. And I suppose tour companies will have some good seats still available.

I wonder if they held back some blocks of seats, for when the single-day tickets go on sale?

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
This is my first post to the Helsinki thread as I've just made the decision to go to 2017 Worlds. Looks like I'll have to hurry and book ice level seats within a couple of days if there are only about 100 left as I wouldn't be keen on balcony seats!

My main question that I'm hoping anyone would be able to help me with is regarding the efficiency of the train link between the arena and the city centre. I appreciate that it only takes 5 minutes but I'm not keen on crowded public transport (it freaks me out to be honest!) so I'm reluctant to get a city centre hotel which would be better from an interest/facility point of view if I'd have to face that journey several times in the one day. I kind of like the idea of being able to nip back to the hotel from time to time during the day with as little hassle as possible and don't mind the walk but now I have concerns about that because I haven't heard good things about the areas that the hotels local to the arena are in. But there is always the option of staying close to the arena and from time to time going into the city centre rather than HAVING to do it a few times a day. I guess what I'm asking in my usual long winded way therefore is:

1. Is the area around the arena ok from the point of view of someone looking to concentrate more on the event than seeing the sights and not being too bothered about it being visually gorgeous or chock full of bars and restaurants (a couple of ok places would do)?
2. Is the surrounding area safe from the point of view of walking a few minutes to and from local hotels?
3. Is the public transport reliable and very regular (i.e. wouldn't be intermittent and therefore regularly very crowded) if one made the decision to stay in the city centre after all?

Any info much appreciated in advance...

TMC

Record Breaker
Hi Lyverbird,

I can give you some answers, though they are based on my own experience and/or opinions, so others may disagree:

1) The area is perfect for just that; it's super boring and there's really nothing there apart from the hotel/s (I've only been for some drinks at one of them, I don't even know if there are several)
2) I'd say it's as safe as anywhere in Helsinki, safer than some places. Helsinki is a very safe city anyway. Most of my friends have lived there all their lives and I've never heard of anybody being mugged or anything, ever. Now I think of it it's pretty amazing! Chances are that a lot of other people will be staying at the hotel, so you won't be walking back 'alone' anyway.
3) It's very regular and quite reliable. Some trains are obviously more crowded than others, but since all trains stop at Pasila, you can easily wait a few minutes for another one if one seems too crowded. You'd be travelling outside the normal rush hours as well (if you're planning on going to all events), so that would help, too.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Hi Lyverbird,

I can give you some answers, though they are based on my own experience and/or opinions, so others may disagree:

1) The area is perfect for just that; it's super boring and there's really nothing there apart from the hotel/s (I've only been for some drinks at one of them, I don't even know if there are several)
2) I'd say it's as safe as anywhere in Helsinki, safer than some places. Helsinki is a very safe city anyway. Most of my friends have lived there all their lives and I've never heard of anybody being mugged or anything, ever. Now I think of it it's pretty amazing! Chances are that a lot of other people will be staying at the hotel, so you won't be walking back 'alone' anyway.
3) It's very regular and quite reliable. Some trains are obviously more crowded than others, but since all trains stop at Pasila, you can easily wait a few minutes for another one if one seems too crowded. You'd be travelling outside the normal rush hours as well (if you're planning on going to all events), so that would help, too.

Thank you very much indeed for the response. Great detail with what I was looking for! I'm placated to hear the local area is considered safe enough and will probably book a place near the arena but it's also good to know that the train is regular and reliable for the short distance and will be handy for occasional jaunts into the city centre.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
lyverbird1, we have chosen to stay in one of the hotels that are close to the arena (seems to be just two - Holiday Inn and Sokos Pasila).

We've been going to Finlandia Trophy for years, so we don't need to do the Helsinki "tourist" stuff any more. We also plan to watch a lot of the practices, so we won't have much time for sight-seeing anyway. It's cool if you can be in the official hotel and see the skaters there, but that's not a priority for us. So for World's it's all about the skating, and a hotel close to the arena suits us better.

Helsinki public transport has always seemed very good, but I imagine the buses, trains and trams will be very crowded after the last events of each day. So we prefer being able to walk there and back.

As for the area - I haven't been there before, so I don't know it. I've checked where there are restaurants and local grocery stores etc, using Google maps and walked around using the "street view". I don't think it looks that bad, and I've always thought of Finland as "generally safe" - it's all very subjective, but in any case I expect there will be plenty of people returning to the same hotels after the events. "Safety in numbers" :-D And they are not very far.

For Finlandia in Espoo, we normally stay in a hotel that's 20-25 minutes walk from the arena. We eat breakfast at the hotel... buy lunch from the local shops on the way to the arena, or at the arena itself... evenings we eat at the hotel, or a local restaurant, or occasionally we go into Helsinki if we feel like a change. I expect a similar pattern for World's.

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
lyverbird1, we have chosen to stay in one of the hotels that are close to the arena (seems to be just two - Holiday Inn and Sokos Pasila).

We've been going to Finlandia Trophy for years, so we don't need to do the Helsinki "tourist" stuff any more. We also plan to watch a lot of the practices, so we won't have much time for sight-seeing anyway. It's cool if you can be in the official hotel and see the skaters there, but that's not a priority for us. So for World's it's all about the skating, and a hotel close to the arena suits us better.

Helsinki public transport has always seemed very good, but I imagine the buses, trains and trams will be very crowded after the last events of each day. So we prefer being able to walk there and back.

As for the area - I haven't been there before, so I don't know it. I've checked where there are restaurants and local grocery stores etc, using Google maps and walked around using the "street view". I don't think it looks that bad, and I've always thought of Finland as "generally safe" - it's all very subjective, but in any case I expect there will be plenty of people returning to the same hotels after the events. "Safety in numbers" :-D And they are not very far.

For Finlandia in Espoo, we normally stay in a hotel that's 20-25 minutes walk from the arena. We eat breakfast at the hotel... buy lunch from the local shops on the way to the arena, or at the arena itself... evenings we eat at the hotel, or a local restaurant, or occasionally we go into Helsinki if we feel like a change. I expect a similar pattern for World's.

Thanks for that. I think being close to the arena is a top priority for me too. Not that I wouldn't like to see some of Helsinki but I found in Boston, that even though I'd earmarked a bunch of things to see, I had next to no time to do so once I'd been to each event and many of the practices. But I didn't feel that it detracted from my trip at all given that it was the skating I was there to see. I'm not too fussed about meeting the skaters at their hotel either - whereas it would be a thrill (as it was to personally meet some of them at TD Garden this year!), it seems as if they are under enough stress competing in the event without too many giddy 40-somethings annoying them!

khughes

On the Ice
This is my first post to the Helsinki thread as I've just made the decision to go to 2017 Worlds. Looks like I'll have to hurry and book ice level seats within a couple of days if there are only about 100 left as I wouldn't be keen on balcony seats!

My main question that I'm hoping anyone would be able to help me with is regarding the efficiency of the train link between the arena and the city centre. I appreciate that it only takes 5 minutes but I'm not keen on crowded public transport (it freaks me out to be honest!) so I'm reluctant to get a city centre hotel which would be better from an interest/facility point of view if I'd have to face that journey several times in the one day. I kind of like the idea of being able to nip back to the hotel from time to time during the day with as little hassle as possible and don't mind the walk but now I have concerns about that because I haven't heard good things about the areas that the hotels local to the arena are in. But there is always the option of staying close to the arena and from time to time going into the city centre rather than HAVING to do it a few times a day. I guess what I'm asking in my usual long winded way therefore is:

1. Is the area around the arena ok from the point of view of someone looking to concentrate more on the event than seeing the sights and not being too bothered about it being visually gorgeous or chock full of bars and restaurants (a couple of ok places would do)?
2. Is the surrounding area safe from the point of view of walking a few minutes to and from local hotels?
3. Is the public transport reliable and very regular (i.e. wouldn't be intermittent and therefore regularly very crowded) if one made the decision to stay in the city centre after all?

Any info much appreciated in advance...

Hi Lyverbird 1

I just noticed that they have opened some new seats in section 113 in row 11, which is the front row for ice level 2, so it might be a good time to get one. I don't really understand the process, so maybe they will be opening more ice level 1 at some point, or maybe someone will be returning a ticket, but in general, everything seems to be selling fast. I don't really know why they would hold any single tickets back for the fall if they can sell them as all-event tickets right now, but then again, I don't understand the system here at all.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Hi Lyverbird 1

I just noticed that they have opened some new seats in section 113 in row 11, which is the front row for ice level 2, so it might be a good time to get one. I don't really understand the process, so maybe they will be opening more ice level 1 at some point, or maybe someone will be returning a ticket, but in general, everything seems to be selling fast. I don't really know why they would hold any single tickets back for the fall if they can sell them as all-event tickets right now, but then again, I don't understand the system here at all.

Thank you, I shall press the urgency of the ticket sales situation on my skating and travelling friend!

Pamigena

Record Breaker
While we're at it, did I understand that correctly that the trains between the main station and Pasila are covered by the HSL tickets? It would make life easier if we could just get a 7 day ticket for the Helsinki area and then travel between the arena and the city center as often as we like :yes:

TMC

Record Breaker
While we're at it, did I understand that correctly that the trains between the main station and Pasila are covered by the HSL tickets? It would make life easier if we could just get a 7 day ticket for the Helsinki area and then travel between the arena and the city center as often as we like :yes:

For commuter trains, yes. For long-distance trains you need a separate ticket.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I think I'm too stupid to understand the journey planner :laugh:

All those R/I/E/P/K/L (Ä/Ö/Ü/X/Y/Z) trains, those are all commuter trains? It looks like those run every couple of minutes until late at night?

ETA
Nevermind, I finally found a button saying "instructions" :biggrin: I think that will help.

:thank:

Last edited:

khughes

On the Ice
You know, really, another year that we are all going to something, we should be clever and package ourselves as 15 or 20 people, so that we get great seats and great rates in a hotel. I know I don't know any of you outside of this site, but wouldn't that make sense?

lyverbird1

Final Flight
You know, really, another year that we are all going to something, we should be clever and package ourselves as 15 or 20 people, so that we get great seats and great rates in a hotel. I know I don't know any of you outside of this site, but wouldn't that make sense?

Got tickets in block 113, row 11, the very ones you said were available. Delighted! Looks like TD Garden in the sense that there are no "bad" seats in this arena. Thanks for that info again. And thanks all for the tips that were kind of my final prompt to get on board. Didn't expect to be buying tickets and booking the accommodation but just struck while the iron was hot. Can't wait. Will look forward as well to organising meet ups when we're there!

Pamigena

Record Breaker
ok scratch that note from yesterday :roll9: a lot more Ice Level 1 seats have appeared in another 3 sections.
(one day somebody must explain to me how this whole ticket system even works :palmf: I do not get it)

Rissa

Record Breaker
Guys, has any of you ever sat at such an event on the balcony? I won't be able to afford the Ice level tickets so I've been slowly coming to terms with the fact that I won't go at all. But seeing that I won't be going to the GPF either since it's such a mess, I thought I would give balcony a shot. However, I was at an ice show once and I sat in, like, row 25 on the short side and I could barely see anything, so I'm wondering if going and watching from the balcony is worth any expenses at all. Them finnish hotels ain't cheap either.