2016 Skate Canada Men's SP | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Men's SP

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan and Yuzuru Hanyu were head and shoulders above the rest in PCS, Yuzuru's ability to gain speed is excellent but he didn't really look completely there however he lit up like a light bulb for the step sequence. Patrick's speed and ice coverage was just sublime, his edges are so so deep and he's so smooth across the ice.

Upon watching Patrick again on video in a totally relaxed state, I come to appreciate the performance much more. The Lutz landing was a very minor flaw and the skating was sublime. I just don't know how he can keep getting better in his already superb skating, while adding technical difficulty.

wusswuss

On the Ice
I just replayed Kevin Reynolds' short program, and im so happy i can hear myself scream during the beginning of his step sequence =D #missioncomplete

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Now that I also rewatched Hanyu's program, it too was more impressive than when I watched it live. I guess we are more able to be more objective when in a relaxed state, not that I was very nervous at real time like many have expressed here about watching their favorite skaters. I guess it is easy to get rattled by errors which make strong impressions and get registered as being worse than they were.

One of Hanyu's costliest errors was of course missing the combo. With a poor landing on his other non 3A jump, he could not add the missed combo component. In a way, he would have been better to have a poorly landed 3A than the 3S. He was probably too occupied with the intended 4S.

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist
Men's event was exciting but I am really disappointed in the jumps. In person I felt like while I was watching I missed more of the jumps errors but spins and steps were so painfully obvious to me. Men really need to work on getting better sit spins, some spins, they were also barely holding on and it seems like they do it for the sake of ticking off the elements.

I think my favourite of the night was Daniel Samohin. He was hilarious and stayed in his mood the whole time. His music was over the top but him slicking back his hair and being so serious really added a lot of entertainment value for me.

Another favourite was Kevin Reynolds; the jumps still aren't there but the audience loved him and he was his quirky self.

The audience was really upset for Grant and Ross though. I hope they can all redeem themselves tomorrow.

Also, this Japanese lady kept screaming random phrases at Yuzuru as he skated past me and it was really annoying. Yuzuru was so intense; he was so focused on trying to practice his jumps and she just kept trying to distract him. While I understand you have come very far to see him, it's probably best to try and get his attention when he's not on ice trying to compete.

Krislite

Medalist
Hanyu's fall on the 4Lo was certainly the most aesthetically pleasing fall I've seen. It almost looked like part of the choreography! :laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hanyu still has a very good shot to win. I can't believe after watching the performances of the short how generous Hanyu is scored. His pcs are truly scandalous and those Sotnikova haters from Sochi should be doing the same here. Compared to Chan he was gifted, and gilded and wrongfully worshipped. What an insult that he is barely behind Chan on PCS. Chan is usually better pc wise but I can guarantee you if Chan makes errors there would have been a greater differentiation favouring Hanyu. That being said the quads even with errors or falls are worth so much I don't think Chan can really compete with Hanyu. Hanyu's max is about 110 in sp. Chan's about probably 100. I really don't this music suits Hanyu or highlights his great skating. Plus the costume doesn't add to the feeling and his skating gets lost with the ice and the white pants.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Skate Canada standings after SP:

Men:
1. CAN
2. JPN
3. CAN

Ladies:
1. RUS
2. CAN
3. RUS

Pairs:
1. CAN
2. CHN
3. CAN

Dance:
1. CAN
2. USA
3. CAN

Weird pattern ... :think:

To quote a famous politician here in the States, maybe Skate Canada is rigged ;-)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Yuzuru has scored over 90 with falls in the short before he started doing 2 quads so why is it such a big deal when Patrick does? Patrick was clearly ahead for me, he is incredibly fast. I'd tick off a bit because the 3Lz should have -GOE by a tiny bit but it would still put him super ahead. I found Yuzuru fair, he sold the program after the jump mistakes and that 3A was MONEY. Him and Patrick have such great speed I was so impressed. Han Yan of course has great skating skills but I found him a bit empty? Especially compared to Yuzuru and Patrick, I think it's his hesitation that does him in on the 3A. Fingers crossed I get to see it tomorrow.

Misha Ge was underscored, I found him really compelling on ice and I thought 36 PCS was too low, closer to 40 is more fair, he really gets into the performance, sucks to go first. Takahito Mura's overall skating is a bit underwhelming but his jumps are huge, decent speed. Kevin Reynolds was pretty slow but he was enjoyable to watch because he was so happy, good on him for coming back, felt bad that people were leaving before his score was announced though.

padme21

On the Ice
Just came back from a maskerade ball. Sadly miss the men's sp. Sad about Hanyu's skate I don't know if I can bear to watch it. On the bright side there's always a chance for redemption in the fs.

reneerose

Final Flight
Was utterly shocked that the favored didn't skate clean! Don't know if quad madness has just made everyone either nervous or unsure on their feet LOL. I really wanted Grant, Hanyu, and Ross to do much better than they did. That it "appears" that a certain country is favored I think is just coincidental....the skating gods just didn't allow the usual contenders to skate clean! So the last in the order were given a huge advantage and less pressure to perform/succeed as outside expectations were probably low.

Last edited:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Hanyu still has a very good shot to win. I can't believe after watching the performances of the short how generous Hanyu is scored. His pcs are truly scandalous and those Sotnikova haters from Sochi should be doing the same here. Compared to Chan he was gifted, and gilded and wrongfully worshipped. What an insult that he is barely behind Chan on PCS. Chan is usually better pc wise but I can guarantee you if Chan makes errors there would have been a greater differentiation favouring Hanyu. That being said the quads even with errors or falls are worth so much I don't think Chan can really compete with Hanyu. Hanyu's max is about 110 in sp. Chan's about probably 100. I really don't this music suits Hanyu or highlights his great skating. Plus the costume doesn't add to the feeling and his skating gets lost with the ice and the white pants.

Are you implying Sot's wonderful Sochi skates are comparable to this usual overscored Hanyu performance. Sadly I'm not the least surprised by this scoring. His 2014 and 2015 Worlds SP scores are evidence. It cost Machida a world title and Javi almost lost the title.

LisaS

On the Ice
I thought when you don't attempt a combo you don't get any points at all. Looking at the protocols Hanyu got points for both the loop and salchow. Can someone please explain?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

HanDomi

Record Breaker
So Hanyu didn't fall in SP and Chan made fall in SP and people complain on overscoring Hanyu despite he got lower pcs than Chan. Really ?

LisaS

On the Ice
So Hanyu didn't fall in SP and Chan made fall in SP and people complain on overscoring Hanyu despite he got lower pcs than Chan. Really ?
Hanyu didn't do a combination and his 4 loop was under rotated. Chan landed a quad triple combination.

chiraya

Rinkside

and even Chan is clearly 10 points ahead of Hanyu. So tell me people which element from Hanyu's protocol that doesn't have the right score? :/

LisaS

On the Ice
and even Chan is clearly 10 points ahead of Hanyu. So tell me people which element from Hanyu's protocol that doesn't have the right score? :/
The 4 loop had combo written with it on the protocol. I don't understand why.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Hanyu didn't do a combination and his 4 loop was under rotated. Chan landed a quad triple combination.

Where is mark for landing jumps in PCS then if we go this way?

chiraya

Rinkside
The 4 loop had combo written with it on the protocol. I don't understand why.

someone explained it like this (Aleksandra Dobroś):
Judges might know certain skaters' layouts but if there is no clean intention that specific jump was supposed to be combo, they just mark first jump that could be that combo. Imagine skater failed on all his jumps and didn't do combo - they won't put combo mark on axel since axels in sp cant be in combination. That leaves you with two other jumps, one usually has intro steps (is supposed to be solo jump) and the other doesnt have them (because it isn't required). The one that doesnt have them is combo jump so they usually mark lack of combination on this one. With Yuzuru it is different because all 3 jumping passes in his sp have intro steps. So without axel, they still have two jumps that could be combo jumps so they just put mark on the first one.