State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 65 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

tulosai

Record Breaker
This is a bit misleading. For example, are you counting Gracie's SP 3F at Worlds? She got a "!". However, she earned more points for that 3F (6.13) than Evgenia's 3F (5.43) and Elena's 3F (4.83) that were not "!", or Anna's 3Lo (5.70), which is the jump people are certain that she will earn more points on. (Also, Gracie doesn't do steps into her 3Lo, which is a problem in the SP). Only Ashley had a higher scoring solo triple in the worlds SP among the top 6 ladies. That is not a failed element.

No, I was as fair as possible, and these numbers are not misleading. I counted all jumps that were fully rotated and landed without an e as successful jumps, including those that were !, regardless of GOE. You are free to go over the protocols and full programs yourself, I am confident in the numbers for the flip.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Running away from the jump won't make it better in competition.

I honestly favor her NEVER doing the jump in competition again and modifying her layouts accordingly, but if she or her team feel she has to do it it should definitely not be in the SP, that is for sure.

andromache

Record Breaker
I honestly favor her NEVER doing the jump in competition again and modifying her layouts accordingly, but if she or her team feel she has to do it it should definitely not be in the SP, that is for sure.

Just doing it however she's most comfortable and accepting the e call is probably worth more in BV than replacing it with something else in the LP, right?

temadd

Final Flight
She needs to fire Frank, get a real coach who can strategize better. The 3F in the SP is one of the most idiotic decisions in skating in recent memory. Do a triple loop, triple sal or whatever.
Frank failed as a coach and a strategist. She should never even touch those boring cookie cutter programs. He should put his foot down and reject Lori's half assed efforts.
What a night mare for that whole team. He's too senile to deal with someone like Gracie.
Start giving her correct PCS in the 6 and 7s for her effort. Do not squander another chance on her. She needs to earn her place again. There are a few more girls who need to get out in front of international judges. Her name should have been Gracie Aluminum or Gracie Iron if you are still generous. Frankly it's scrap metal at this point.

I share your frustration with the decisions made by Gracie's team, but please, the senile remark . . .

FlattFan

Match Penalty
"Senile" most certainly is an insult.
FlattFan, if you disagreed with something about Kori's coaching, would you call her "senile"?

Agree completely with drivingmissdaisy.

If Kori is 70yo, insisting on Jason putting 2 3As as the last 2 elements in the LP a la Yuzuru, even though he continued to fail 3 years in a row. Yes, I would call her "senile" too.
I don't just disagree with a coaching. I'm perplexed. Disagreement would be something like let's put the hardest element out first vs. let's put the 2A out first to get a feel of the ice. The decision is really insane. Doing over and over and over again with the same result.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
How do you know it's Franks call to stick with the flip? You don't know the day to day with these two nor how much is actually Franks fault. Gracie had a pretty good year last year and was very sed motivated to rise to the top and just barely slipped off the edge. They don't appear to working well together this season, but goodness that's not entirely on Frank. I believe Gracie may need to leave him just for a fresh perspective on skating, or at least they need to bring someone new in.

As for her packaging I like that someone is still skating to classica music. She's actually a very mature skater with the packaging she has, I don't think changing her music and look will actually accomplish much. Gracie's problems are mostly in her head.

I don't know that Frank is the one calling the shot on the 3F. If he's insisting on the 3F, then it's his problem. If she's insisting on the 3F, it's also his problem. He's the coach, for figure skating Gods sake.
He's also not packaging her like she should be. Had no idea what to do with someone like Gracie. Don't just let her dictate what she wants to do. Also don't be so inflexible with your own coaching method. Some method only works for some skaters. He's clearly incapable of getting her on the right track.

If she's skipping practice or doing drugs or whatever like Christopher Bowman, then he should fire her like he did then. If the coach cannot control his student, he has options. Use those options. This is why the problems are mainly on Frank and not Gracie.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Running away from the jump won't make it better in competition.

So you're saying everyone should be doing 4Lutz and 4Flip in the SP because that's the only way they can make it better?
You have to know your limit and work around those limits.
If your 3F is not stable, don't put it in the SP. Use it as one of the jumping passes in the LP. Also have a plan B. If the starting order favors you, use that plan B.

qwerty

On the Ice
If she's skipping practice or doing drugs or whatever like Christopher Bowman, then he should fire her like he did then. If the coach cannot control his student, he has options. Use those options. This is why the problems are mainly on Frank and not Gracie.

To reference drug use in such a flippant way is totally inappropriate.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
She should consider this layout

All jumping passes in the bonus round

Plan A
3Lutz-3T
3loop
2A

Plan B
3Lutz-3T (if the lutz isn't clean, abort the combo since she's probably will take a -GOE for the lutz anyway, she's only getting penalized one time for doing solo jump without steps + bad landing.
3T-3T.
2A

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
So you're saying everyone should be doing 4Lutz and 4Flip in the SP because that's the only way they can make it better?
You have to know your limit and work around those limits.
If your 3F is not stable, don't put it in the SP. Use it as one of the jumping passes in the LP. Also have a plan B. If the starting order favors you, use that plan B.

Not exactly. I just think that an elite level skater should do all the jump entrances if they want to be considered as a contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Not exactly. I just think that an elite level skater should do all the jump entrances if they want to be considered as a contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evgenia doesn't do 3Lutz in the SP. Does it make her a non-contender?
You have to do what you are most comfortable with.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
She should consider this layout

All jumping passes in the bonus round

Plan A
3Lutz-3T
3loop
2A

Plan B
3Lutz-3T (if the lutz isn't clean, abort the combo since she's probably will take a -GOE for the lutz anyway, she's only getting penalized one time for doing solo jump without steps + bad landing.
3T-3T.
2A

The reason Gracie didn't melt down on thw long prgram very much last year was because she would practice what to do when things went wrong. I remember her saying so in an interview.

I agree that they need a better strategy for the short. There needs to be a change.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
This is a bit different. The 3F is not a jump that is too hard for Gracie.

What they are arguing is that it is in fact difficult for her since she has a very low ratio of actually successfully executing a 3F. It's certainly not outside her capabilities to do it but there is very little case to be made on keeping a problem jump.

I'm sure Gracie and Frank have some reason for this, but I do not know what it is.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Gracie wants to beat Medvedeva and everyone else in the field, trying harder jumps is a way to do it.

She can do it with 3Lutz 3T-3T in the SP as long as she put them in the bonus round. If she's clean and they both skate in neutral territory, Gracie will come out victorious. She should only worry about Evgenia for now. The other girls cannot beat her if she's clean today.

Beside, she should be skating for any medal right now, not the gold medal. Establish yourself first before going for the top spot.