State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 67 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

andromache

Record Breaker
Oh no, I was hoping she got a break from competition for a bit. How does that work, does the usfs force skaters to compete? Worried what another comp might do to her confidence? Hope for good one I guess

I kind of assume that Gracie is at a level where she is not forced to compete by anyone? Either Gracie wants to compete or USFS and/or Frank think it's a good idea and Gracie is following their advice.

Personally and from a non-expert standpoint, I'd rather see Gracie switching coaches and rehauling everything before Nationals than doing a B competition. But I don't think Gracie is being forced into anything.

desertskates

Medalist
I kind of assume that Gracie is at a level where she is not forced to compete by anyone? Either Gracie wants to compete or USFS and/or Frank think it's a good idea and Gracie is following their advice.

Personally and from a non-expert standpoint, I'd rather see Gracie switching coaches and rehauling everything before Nationals than doing a B competition. But I don't think Gracie is being forced into anything.

I agree completely. If Golden Spin goes poorly, that would just skewer what's left of her confidence. An uninterrupted period of consistent training would have been best.

NicolettaL

Final Flight
I actually feel that make her compete at Golden Spin can backfire. She needs rest not struggling with another competition and potentialy having another meltdown

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I actually feel that make her compete at Golden Spin can backfire. She needs rest not struggling with another competition and potentialy having another meltdown

I think it could backfire too. Much like wanting to compete at 4CCs this year backfired. But she wanted to compete at 4CC so would not be surprised if she wanted this as well.

I don't think she is being made to do it. I suspect she wants to go. And I think not letting her would be worse.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I actually disagree with most of the people on this thread- I think it's good she's going to do a senior B before Nationals. While I do see that if it goes poorly that might further damage her confidence I don't really see that just constantly training through Nationals, with no other goal whatsoever and so with nothing else to focus on and just all the pressure building and building toward Nationals would have been great for her mental health either. Furthermore if it does go poorly, sure, that's one more bad thing, but at this point I think the potential negative effect of one bad thing is probably less than the potential confidence boost and positive effect generally of something good happening in competition finally.

Plus we can always hope they are changing the layout and want to give her a chance to practice a new layout in competition ;)

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Does anyone know the status of Bradie Tennell (6th at Nationals last year)? She was listed for Mids, but now scratched.

lyndichee

Medalist
Does anyone know the status of Bradie Tennell (6th at Nationals last year)? She was listed for Mids, but now scratched.

I think she receives a bye to Nationals because sectionals and her entry to Tallin Trophy seem to clash. Not too sure about the qualification.

humbaba

Final Flight
I agree that it's good for Gracie to do Golden Spin. Her problem is that she is not a good competitor and can't perform when it counts. If she doesn't change things up, she will likely just repeat her pattern of training hard, performing well in practice, then falling apart in competition.

I think Gracie needs to compete more often. Competing more often might desensitize her to the stressful stimuli, sort of like the systemic desensitization therapies used to treat people with phobias. It might not work, but at this point what does she have to lose? She needs to change her approach and I think changing music, programs or coaches will not do the trick. Gracie's issues are not that simple.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Put me in the group who does not think Gracie should travel to Croatia. IMO, Gracie needs uninterrupted solid training going into Nationals. I've been in her position of feeling mentally and physically exhausted. She started her training late, and this is the perfect time to get herself back on track. The time, money, and missed practice time to travel all the way to Croatia will be very draining and should she not skate well, it will set her back with even less time to prepare for Nationals. Also, should she skate badly, it won't do her any favors with the Judges. Gracie is the defending US Champion and she can't just go to an event without it being a big deal.

Remember 2 seasons ago when Tuk went to several Senior B's before she won her World Title? She could never do that now. Once she became World Champion, she didn't travel nearly as much the next season. I can't express enough how draining traveling can be to an athlete. Even if your mind is totally focused, it is difficult to deal with Airports, going through Customs, meeting up with Ground Transportation. Traveling to the Hotel, checking in, unpacking, and then "Maybe" a nap. Then, you have to get ready for the event. Your body has basically been stationary for 10 hours or more. As you sit on the plane and then basically wait in line, after line, after line. It's hell. I wish she'd stay home and train.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't see much upside to her going either because she still won't be in peak form. Like chuckm, I'd be surprised if she shows up.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
;) Golden Spin just might be the ticket for Gracie... less pressure at a Senior B. According to the thread there seems to be lots of fun things to do around Christmas time there that might appeal to her. Hope she enjoys herself! The competition will be challenging but the event not overwhelming.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ANY competition at this point is pressure for her. She already lost to LECAVELIER at TDF, why would she want to risk losing to her again, as well as to a bunch of other second level skaters? Golden Spin is only 3 weeks away. Gracie didn't improve at all in the 3 weeks between SA and TDF, what makes anyone think she is going to improve much more in the 3 weeks between TDF and Golden Spin?

Gracie needs to prepare for Nationals, not zip over to Croatia for a competition that is of no importance to her, that can make her feel even worse, and that would lose her at least a week of training time that she can ill afford.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
ANY competition at this point is pressure for her. She already lost to LECAVELIER at TDF, why would she want to risk losing to her again, as well as to a bunch of other second level skaters? Golden Spin is only 3 weeks away. Gracie didn't improve at all in the 3 weeks between SA and TDF, what makes anyone think she is going to improve much more in the 3 weeks between TDF and Golden Spin?

Gracie needs to prepare for Nationals, not zip over to Croatia for a competition that is of no importance to her, that can make her feel even worse, and that would lose her at least a week of training time that she can ill afford.

Did not realize that Golden Spin was so soon. Why has Polina withdrawn from NHK but not Golden Spin when they are within a week of each other?

I wish Mariah Bell was competing there.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Did not realize that Golden Spin was so soon. Why has Polina withdrawn from NHK but not Golden Spin when they are within a week of each other?

I wish Mariah Bell was competing there.

Mariah will be at the Tallin Trophy I believe :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
;) Golden Spin just might be the ticket for Gracie... less pressure at a Senior B. According to the thread there seems to be lots of fun things to do around Christmas time there that might appeal to her. Hope she enjoys herself! The competition will be challenging but the event not overwhelming.

It really depends on what her goal is at this event. If She plans on winning the event, She won't have time to enjoy the beauty of Croatia. She'll be in the rink, hotel, or taxi traveling between each of those places because her "job" requires her full attention from the second her plane lands until the end of her final press conference.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
It really depends on what her goal is at this event. If She plans on winning the event, She won't have time to enjoy the beauty of Croatia. She'll be in the rink, hotel, or taxi traveling between each of those places because her "job" requires her full attention from the second her plane lands until the end of her final press conference.

I dunno how true that is really- even at major major competitions most skater find time to post a few shots of them exploring to instagram, and generally (assuming the energy) the skater will have some free time after they skate their free program to kick around doing whatever they want before their flight home, especially at a B where there are not the large banquet dinners and press conferences that occur at larger competitions.

andromache

Record Breaker
Since it appears Gracie is going to this event and many of us aren't quite sure why....I hope she takes the time to experiment with something in her competition routine. Leave Frank at home and bring Lori or an assistant coach, or intentionally watch the performances of everyone else before her (that's a stone-cold Katarina Witt move). Employ some crazy-sounding new strategy suggested by her sports psychologist. Change things up and see what happens.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I dunno how true that is really- even at major major competitions most skater find time to post a few shots of them exploring to instagram, and generally (assuming the energy) the skater will have some free time after they skate their free program to kick around doing whatever they want before their flight home, especially at a B where there are not the large banquet dinners and press conferences that occur at larger competitions.

This might be true. In fact, for some young skaters, talking to their friends on "insta" is probably relaxing for them. In the 80's and early 90's when I was still competing for trophies, they didn't have social media like they do now. If you had a pager, it was a big deal. When I competed, I was very regimented and fun had no place on my schedule. I wouldn't even go the opening banquet where the athletes are supposed to me each other. That's why you really have to know the athlete before you can say what's best for them. I was NO fun when I was preparing for a competition as I was a very intense. My ballet teacher was so strict and she would move dancers down from advanced to intermediate if they were late, talked during class, or wore the wrong shoes or clothes to the studio.

Last edited: