State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 69 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I am sure that Gracie's problem is in her head and not a training issue. The only way to get better at competing is to go to more competitions. She doesn't need more practice at home she needs to practice competing.

Maybe she should try a practice routine where her run throughs are scored harshly by someone in her camp every once in awhile, where they add some pressure of some sort to make it feel like a competition. Then get Gracie skating against herself and simulating a competition? Idk, something like this worked for me in speech class in college.

brightphoton

Medalist
Maybe she should try a practice routine where her run throughs are scored harshly by someone in her camp every once in awhile, where they add some pressure of some sort to make it feel like a competition. Then get Gracie skating against herself and simulating a competition? Idk, something like this worked for me in speech class in college.

Alissa Cyszny did a lot of mock competition run-throughs when she was with Julie and ... you know how that worked out.

Nigel

On the Ice
I'm curious, just wondering whether Gracie and/or Polina "bumped" Caroline and Angela down to the alternate positions for Zagreb. This is pure surprise, not anything negative or conspiracy-wise. Does that kind of decision go by national rankings, or what?

Gracie and Polina being assigned to Zagreb with Caroline and Angela listed as alternates is probably more a reflection of USFS's observations of Gracie's lackluster performances so far this season, and, with Polina w/d from her SGP, USFS wants her out at an international event this fall. Pretty straight forward. The accumulation of ISU points is more of a priority for GG and PE, than for Caroline or Angela.

brightphoton

Medalist
So Angela and Caroline were pushed aside to make room for Polina and Gracie at a senior B. It's really too bad that the USFSA doesn't "spread the love" as far as assignments go. Gracie already had two shots at the GP, other girls should get the chance to go to senior international events too.

Angela and Polima both withdrew from from her GP, but has Caroline had any chances beside Golden West and sectionals/regionals?

Why aren't any American women at the current Challenger cup this weekend, at Warsaw?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Angela and Caroline were pushed aside to make room for Polina and Gracie at a senior B. It's really too bad that the USFSA doesn't "spread the love" as far as assignments go. Gracie already had two shots at the GP, other girls should get the chance to go to senior international events too.

Angela and Polima both withdrew from from her GP, but has Caroline had any chances beside Golden West and sectionals/regionals?

Why aren't any American women at the current Challenger cup this weekend, at Warsaw?

I think they could have done a better job to get Mariah out there when she was coming up too. :shock2:

brightphoton

Medalist
^ Yes, they do tend to put their eggs in 2-3 baskets. I'm okay with all the eggs in the Ashley basket though.

Also, here's Caroline's free skate from regionals. It was posted on her fiance's YouTube channel :)

https://youtu.be/C60paHF02kI
She goes for the 3 loop 3 loop at the 3 minute 10 second mark. It looks good to me, though I haven't seen the protocols
The mulekick, it's still there, but with Caroline standards it's not as bad in the past ...

Here's Karen Chen's recent free skate too
https://youtu.be/OvRFJO2ucDQ
She doesn't go for a triple triple, and she pops an axel, but no falls. Much better than her last nationals outing, so I feel good for her GP

Oh dear. I spoke too soon. I just saw Karen's SP at Cup of China
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rlEW5yGa1KY

Ashley was okay. She missed adding a combo to her opening jump and added a 2toe to her loop
https://youtu.be/NOeUp0Nq0vw

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist

Well Gracie and Polina have been on the podium at nationals for years now and have had relative success internationally. They've earned the USFSA's trust and they've earned a shot at competitions. Of course they're going to give those girls the competition when they need it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think they could have done a better job to get Mariah out there when she was coming up too. :shock2:

As a fan of Mariah, I think that USFS has given Mariah her fair share of opportunities :):
2016: Skate America, preceded by US Classic and Nepela
2015: Skate America, preceded by US Classic and Nepela
2014: Nebelhorn and Golden Spin
2013: two JGPs
http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/mariah_bell

Perhaps you mean going back further?

... Why aren't any American women at the current Challenger cup this weekend, at Warsaw?

Could Sectionals this week be a partial explanation???

FWIW: Zhang, Wang, Chan, Glenn, Rydberg, Chiera, Miller are among those competing at Sectionals.

If any were assigned to Warsaw, I guess USFS would have given them a bye to Nats?
Is it possible that USFS did not want to give byes for some reason?

Good luck to Ashley, Courtney, and Karen in the FS at Cup of China :yay:.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Has anybody crunched the numbers if Ashley can get into the GPF in 5th? I'm a bit nervous for her.

Taken from the competition thread:

I don't actually see Ashley in danger missing out on the Grand Prix Final. A 4th place is enough tomorrow overall unless there is *exactly* this freakish result in Japan next week:
1. Miyahara/Higuchi
2. Sotskova
3. Miyahara/Higuchi
4. Pogorilaya
She must skate REALLY badly tomorrow not to be 4th, I think.

Granted, this doesn't answer your question regarding what happens if Ashley places 5th, but I hope it comes close??

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
FWIW: Zhang, Wang, Chan, Glenn, Rydberg, Chiera, Miller are among those competing at Sectionals.

If any were assigned to Warsaw, I guess USFS would have given them a bye to Nats?
Is it possible that USFS did not want to give byes for some reason?

Is Mariah not having to compete at Sectionals?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is Mariah not having to compete at Sectionals?

She's going to Tallinn Trophy next week, so that gave her the bye.

BTW, Bradie is in the same (happy :cool:) boat as Mariah.

Meaning Bradie is not entered at Sectionals either. Also going to Tallinn Trophy.

Has anybody crunched the numbers if Ashley can get into the GPF in 5th? I'm a bit nervous for her.

Depending on where others place in China and Japan, a fifth for Ashley in China would not completely eliminate her chances for the GPF.
But things would need to align for her in a favorable way.

Here's one hypothetical scenario (by my arithmetic) that would keep Ashley in the GPF (even with a fifth at Cup of China):

If/if/if the Ladies SP placements at Cup of China were to become the final placements, then the rankings would be:
Medvedeva 30
Osmond 28
Radionova 26
Wagner 22
Mihara 22 (Ashley would win the first tie-breaker)
Tuktamysheva 18
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/gpchn2016/SEG003.HTM

And then if/if/if Pogorilaya were to win NHK; Sotskova second; Higuchi or Miyahara third:
Medvedeva & Pogorilaya 30
Osmond 28
Radionova & Sotskova 26
Wagner 22
Mihara & Higuchi or Miyahara 22 (Ashley would win the first tie-breaker)​

http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2016/gpsladies.pdf

Last edited:

concorde

Medalist
If I remember correctly, Ashley seems to thive from these "come from behind" situations. My guess is she will come in at least 3rd. Let's see how accurate I am.

tulosai

Record Breaker

Actually this year she probably could make it even with 5th, yes. However, I anticipate she'll probably finish higher than 5th in the end.

desertskates

Medalist
I really doubt that Ashley won't pull up from fifth, but I am slightly concerned that she won't be on the podium.

pjskater

Rinkside
Well Gracie and Polina have been on the podium at nationals for years now and have had relative success internationally. They've earned the USFSA's trust and they've earned a shot at competitions. Of course they're going to give those girls the competition when they need it.

And don't forget the enormous pressure that was put on Gracie and Ashley at worlds to medal, especially Gracie. I cringed at the media questions and headlines just imagining how she must have felt the weight of the nation on her shoulders! I personally feel they owe her something for that. That's just my two cents.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wagner should be OK for GPF if she is able to get up to 4th. Clearly she'll want podium as extra security though.

No real shock here TBH, as it is familiar territory for her.