State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 70 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Wagner should be OK for GPF if she is able to get up to 4th. Clearly she'll want podium as extra security though.

No real shock here TBH, as it is familiar territory for her.

Nah not extra security, she needs a good FS to help her momentum for the GPF, the one at Skate America was not good and she got a lot of help from some generous PCS

If the reports were correct in that she was skating a good FS in practice then hopefully she'll be able to replicate that and pull herself up

KatGrace1925

Medalist
And don't forget the enormous pressure that was put on Gracie and Ashley at worlds to medal, especially Gracie. I cringed at the media questions and headlines just imagining how she must have felt the weight of the nation on her shoulders! I personally feel they owe her something for that. That's just my two cents.

Absolutely, it was a but ridiculous. They set her up for what happened and maybe they know that. I hope she does well with this next opportunity.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Wagner should be OK for GPF if she is able to get up to 4th. Clearly she'll want podium as extra security though.

No real shock here TBH, as it is familiar territory for her.

Osmond and/or Liza bombing the LP is not outside the realm of possibilities here. I don't know much about Miyahara but I think Ashley could make up a 4 point difference if she skates well. I think it's likely Ashley will medal, probably bronze behind Kaetlyn and Elena.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Osmond and/or Liza bombing the LP is not outside the realm of possibilities here. I don't know much about Miyahara but I think Ashley could make up a 4 point difference if she skates well. I think it's likely Ashley will medal, probably bronze behind Kaetlyn and Elena.

Miyahara is skating to a very juniorish long program. At Skate America she was great in short and ended up running out of steam in the long. She is skating to Cinderella, the potential component marks are iffy though its not impossible that she'll do better this time.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Miyahara is skating to a very juniorish long program. At Skate America she was great in short and ended up running out of steam in the long. She is skating to Cinderella, the potential component marks are iffy though its not impossible that she'll do better this time.

Friendly reminder that Mai Mihara is the name of the skater competing against Ashley in China.
Mihara placed third in the SP ... and previously won the bronze at Skate America.

(Satoko Miyahara will compete at NHK. Both Mihara and Miyahara are in the mix for the GPF.)

Just want to be clear that I agree with those who feel strongly that Ashley will be fighting back in the FS.

I do not think she would be content to remain in fifth, and I am hopeful that she will place higher.
In my post above, I was only answering Nathan's what-if question as to where Ashley would stand in terms of the GPF if she were to end up fifth overall.

Go, Ashley :yay:.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Off CoC topic. I was watching Frank Carroll's old interview about Gracie from Sochi, and though I think something needs to change, Frank may still be right for Gracie.

brightphoton

Medalist
FWIW: Zhang, Wang, Chan, Glenn, Rydberg, Chiera, Miller are among those competing at Sectionals.

If any were assigned to Warsaw, I guess USFS would have given them a bye to Nats?
Is it possible that USFS did not want to give byes for some reason?

Any 1-3 of those girls could have been sent to Warsaw instead of participating at sectionals.

Maybe the USFSA feels their judges would get tired from judging too many skaters at Nationals *shrug*

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
As a fan of Mariah, I think that USFS has given Mariah her fair share of opportunities :):
2016: Skate America, preceded by US Classic and Nepela
2015: Skate America, preceded by US Classic and Nepela
2014: Nebelhorn and Golden Spin
2013: two JGPs
http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/mariah_bell

Perhaps you mean going back further?

Almost certainly it is this I have seen many comments wishing she had been given chances earlier or at least identified as promising earlier.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Any 1-3 of those girls could have been sent to Warsaw instead of participating at sectionals.

Maybe the USFSA feels their judges would get tired from judging too many skaters at Nationals *shrug*

There are 9 ladies who have byes. Plus 12 ladies who would qualify via sectionals. For a total of 21. They probably could have given a few more byes without adding another warm up group. As it stands it's 4+5+6+6.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I'm actually pretty happy with Ashley's effort in the short. She did not skate her best, and looked visibly tired. But she didn't bomb. And honestly, she likes having to work for it so I expect she'll do better in the long.

amc987

On the Ice
I think Ashley will skate very well in the long in China and qualify for the GPF. I'm guessing that she might still end up top 2 in China b/c I'm Osmond and/or Radionova will mess up in the long. We'll see.

brightphoton

Medalist
There are 9 ladies who have byes. Plus 12 ladies who would qualify via sectionals. For a total of 21. They probably could have given a few more byes without adding another warm up group. As it stands it's 4+5+6+6.

I vaguely recall reading an article that said that judges felt there were too many skaters competing at Nationals, and the competition went on too long. Or maybe it was the World championships, which was why they got rid of the qualifying round and added a TES minimum. Or maybe too many not-as-good skaters wasn't TV-friendly? I might actually be hallucinating all this too.

I'm just annoyed that Gracie and Polina were assigned to senior Bs that are normally used to for lower tier skaters to get experience. And yet! there is a perfectly good senior B right now, and then no one is assigned to it. Argh, I don't understand how the US federation makes its decisions

Kittosuni

Medalist
Well Ashley just bombed so no GPF for her or any US woman. When was the last time there was no US woman in the GPF?

Nathan13

Medalist
Is it time to declare a State of Emergency? Because yikes at this GP season. At least it will be a really level playing field in KC to make for an interesting nationals.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well Ashley just bombed so no GPF for her or any US woman. When was the last time there was no US woman in the GPF?

By my calculation, Ashley is still 4th in the GPF points; she wins the tiebreak with Mihara & Tukt. After next week, she's in if Anna does well again and either Miyahara or Sotskova is 4th or worse. So, go Mirai or Karen!

Pika

Final Flight
By my calculation, Ashley is still 4th in the GPF points; she wins the tiebreak with Mihara & Tukt. After next week, she's in if Anna does well again and either Miyahara or Sotskova is 4th or worse. So, go Mirai or Karen!

Miyahara in 4th would have 20pts, but Sotskova still 22. Which leaves an two open spots on the podium for Higuchi who would score at least 22, leaving Ashley out ?
Everything is possible but most likely, Ashley will be 7th in GPF points, for 0.37points. So cruel.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

She would be in with the following scenario:

I thought she was done for sure--but due to just the crazy placements this season ---it's created some scenarios.

For example a podium of: Anna P/Maria S./Mirai and/or Alaine would keep her in.

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
Yeah...7 underrotations, an edge call and a level 2 spin is totally respectable

The tech caller at the Cup of China was Mr. Amono, who is very strict with rotations. In the entire free skate of all the ladies, he only gave out ~30 ratified triples

I commend him though. I very much respect his commitment to fully rotated jumps, without excess pre-rotation and under-rotation. It's good for the sport.